early sets with a single regulator

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

early sets with a single regulator

Post by tommykleen »

There are a several surviving sets of early uilleann/transitional pastoral uilleann/union pipes out there. Of these that feature a single regulator, would that regulator typically be analogous to today's baritone regulator? Or was it also sometimes more of a tenor regulator..or a hybrid?

Thanks,
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
dunnp

Re: early sets with a single regulator

Post by dunnp »

I was going to ask a related question.

If you were going to have a single reg on a c set with only tenor and baritone drones which reg would you have?

The idea is to keep the set as small and compact as possible.

I think most antique single reg sets I have seen photos of besides O'Mealy have the tenor with five notes sometimes tenor with four.
I assume because O mealy omitted the tenor for a contrabass and as sets were intended to be built up, the baritone was first for him (see Sean Reid society O mealy articles ).
Is this common on any other makers sets.
I also remember seeing pictures of a set with a really long reg with 7-8 notes in the Morpeth museum I think.

What are the benifits? Drawbacks? of either reg single?
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Having had first hand knowledge of at least one, and seeing two others that look identical (in terms of notes), I'd say it's the tenor minus the C. Which is also the baritone minus the D, plus a B.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Early sets of union pipes (and also pastoral pipes) were a little less standardized with regard to the regulator tuning. Some sets had a single four-key regulator more or less analogous to a modern tenor reg, but it was not uncommon to have regulators with five keys.

Here's a list of some of the tuning combinations that were present on pastoral pipes. There was more than likely some crossover between these and some of the very early footjoint-less union pipes of the late-1800s/early-1900s.

http://uilleann-pipes.co.uk/page26.html
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

The list given is not exhaustive; it omits the configuration with a D on single regulator sets, which is not uncommon (i.e. the single reg is what we would now call a 'baritone'); also not mentioned is the single regulator which plays only D, which I have seen on a couple of occasions.

A common union pipe combination which also shows up on Pastoral sets is the two-reg configuration with 3 and 4 keys, respectively - in effect, the modern 2 reg setup without the uppermost rank:

bari: G F# D
tenor: B A G F#

I have seen several cases where the D on the baritone was added, as a separate joint, to what would otherwise be considered a tenor. I have also encountered a couple of instruments where the D note was played by a stand-alone regulator, with a separate 'tenor' (to use today's nomenclature). Taken together this suggests that the second regulator may have originated as a single note, 'D', from which it is only a small extrapolation to the 'add on' D joint and the presence of two multi-keyed regulators with some redundancy.

In the early days of both instruments, the two regulators were referred to as 'unison' and 'pupilow'. There is some question as to which was which. If however you take the hypothesis that the following regulator configuration was one of the earliest:

D
B A G F#

then it makes sense that the D reg was the unison and the four-key regulator was the 'pupilow'.

Thanks to (Dr.) Jimmy O'Brien-Moran, who did some digging in Italian dictionaries, one finds 'pupilow' an Italian word meaning, variously, 'ward', 'pupil', etc., a diminutive term suggestive an understudy or 'person under protection', from which we get the English word 'pupil'. This aptly alludes to the relationship of the four-key regulator above to the chanter.

It also reflects the formal musical context of various pipe tutors of the day, where Italian was the language of 'cultured' European music.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Brilliant! Good work everyone.

Now, avanti popolo!
Tommykleen
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

I also remember seeing pictures of a set with a really long reg with 7-8 notes in the Morpeth museum I think
It is inded in the Morpeth Museum and has 8 Keys covering C# down to D

One set of Pastorals had

Tenor B A G F#
Bari G F# E D

Malcolm MacGreggor (circa 1810-20) on his barrel and 'normal' sets seems to have favoured a simplified layout

Tenor B A G F#
Bari D

The D key would have a long touch so it could be played with the A G and F#keys on the Tenor

Have also seen this 'Macgregor style' arrangement on a set of Pastorals.

On sets I have seen by McFadden and Hamilton the top row of regulator keys are absent

Chris
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Chris Bayley wrote:Image
How old is that set and is the double chanter original? Don't know why, but I had the impression that double chanters were a much later development (1830+)
PJ
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

As far as one reg sets go I love the sound of this one
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pqlpPyJmHB4&feature=relmfu

Anyone want to answer if you had only one reg on a two drone set would you choose tenor or baritone as we know them today 5 and 4 note?
I'd be leaning towards baritone.
tommykleen

Post by tommykleen »

Baritone!

I've been playing a B 3/4 set with just the baritone reg used as a reg. the Tenor is employed as an A drone. It got me wondering what the music might have been like coming from these old, single-reg sets.

For my part, I am enjoying playing just this one regulator on a variety of tunes. Who knew?
Tommykleen
myles

Post by myles »

Wasn't it the case that the term "pupilow" only appears in a later transcription of one early advert, and even in that case the original newspaper advert has never been found to date? I don't know why but I've always had this gut feeling that it might be a mistranscription or even a printer's error....perhaps just the printer misinterpreting the scribbled word "regulator".

The Italian theory is interesting but doesn't quite convince me. Perhaps if someone dug up the original advert or another occurrence of the term.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

tommykleen wrote:Baritone!

I've been playing a B 3/4 set with just the baritone reg used as a reg. the Tenor is employed as an A drone. It got me wondering what the music might have been like coming from these old, single-reg sets.

For my part, I am enjoying playing just this one regulator on a variety of tunes. Who knew?
Ontology recapitulates phylogeny!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

tommykleen wrote:Baritone!
Interesting. The D you already have, so it doesn't add much harmonically (just volume), so you're left with just three notes (A, G, G#) for harmony. And if you have the A going all the time, you're down to just two. If it were me, I'd make the Baritone A the drone, and go with the tenor for more harmonic possibilities. On the other hand, I don't recall seeing any sets with an A that high. Usually the fourth drone is between tenor and baritone.
tommykleen wrote:It got me wondering what the music might have been like coming from these old, single-reg sets.
Be sure to tune it at 1:30 (your time) for Ronan Browne's presentation on NPU TV!
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

My cat has occasionally tried to take a nap on the regs while I'm playing, but never have I seen it used as a pup pillow.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Ceann Cromtha wrote: Ontology recapitulates phylogeny!
:lol: I aced paleontology too.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.