Parks PVC Whistles - thoughts?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
alisonk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Parks PVC Whistles - thoughts?

Post by alisonk »

I called up my local music shop here, asking what makes of whistles they have. They said they only carry one called Parks and it's made out of PVC pipe. (We are not far from where they are made in Florida). At first I was like, c'mon....PVC pipe? They must be pretty cheap...then he said No, actually they go for quite a bit more than the average metal one....so I was really curious...I visited their website here...http://www.parkswhistles.com/index.html.

Has anyone had any experience with these? The owner of the music shop says he owns a few himself and will play me a demo when I go. I was just wondering what sort of sound they have, and if it would be worth the investment.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Re: Parks PVC Whistles - thoughts?

Post by Cayden »

alisonk wrote:I called up my local music shop here, asking what makes of whistles they have. They said they only carry one called Parks and it's made out of PVC pipe. (We are not far from where they are made in Florida). At first I was like, c'mon....PVC pipe? They must be pretty cheap...then he said No, actually they go for quite a bit more than the average metal one....so I was really curious...I visited their website here...http://www.parkswhistles.com/index.html.

Has anyone had any experience with these? The owner of the music shop says he owns a few himself and will play me a demo when I go. I was just wondering what sort of sound they have, and if it would be worth the investment.

Alisonk,
First, welcome to C & F. You will find much support and shared nformation here that you will appreciate as a whistle player.

I will send you a PM on this matter.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Seonachan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Seonachan »

PVC is a great material for whistles, and some top notch ones are made out of it (including Carey Parks'). You can even make your own: http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/index.html. The best and sweetest sounding whistle I own is one I made myself from these instructions (albeit in an extreme case of luck triumphing over skill).

As for price comparisons, keep in mind that the "average metal one" is mass-produced in a factory, whereas Carey makes his whistles all by himself. Compared to other independent makers, his prices are extremely reasonable.

Whether any whistle is worth the investment is a calculation that will be different for everybody. When you go to the store and listen (and play, if you're allowed), you'll be in the best position to decide whether the sound you hear is worth the price. If I understand the situation, the store doesn't carry any other brand of whistle - so if you already own one, I would recommend bringing it along.

In short, there is no reason whatsoever to be dubious of Parks whistles; if they're within your budget, consider them as valid a choice as any, and let your ear and wallet decide from there.

Good luck in your whistle hunting!
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Carey Parks makes excellent whistles. They have a strong bell note, plenty of volume across two octaves and a very approachable high range. They also have a unique ring around the shaft in front of the mouthpiece which allows you to block off some of the airflow across the blade thereby reducing the volume when necessary.

And if you're skeptical of PVC do a little research and you'll find that Glenn Schultz, RIP, crafted one of the greatest whistles ever produced, regardless of material, out of PVC plumbing pipe and called it the Water Weasel. It can hold it's own against anything made.

Glenn was also a great teacher who tutored more than one maker about crafting instruments, including both Paul Busman and Carey Parks.

Buy the Parks Walkabout and don't look back. :thumbsup:

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
maki

Post by maki »

Thanks for comming by and saying hello, welcome to the forum.
Since you asked for thoughts here are mine;

The Parks whistle set I own is flat out GREAT.
Its worth every penny.

I own a Walkabout model and it goes with me everywhere.
If that is your first whistle you may never need another, ever.
(Wanting is a whole 'nuther matter.)

BTW, PVC makes very good whistles.
You won't go wrong with a Guido Gonzato PVC whistle either.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

AlisonK, buy a Parks. Then get back to us on what you think about plumbing pipes. :lol: You'll start to look at the world a little differently. Really!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
alisonk

Post by alisonk »

Hi there! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Forgive my skepticism....being a beginner whistle player...I don't know much! It's a pleasant surprise to hear that an excellent musical instrument can be made from 'plumbing pipe'! ;-) I'm looking forward to going to the music shop now to hear it being played.
I was on the hunt for some more whistles, especially because I was sounding very screechy in the higher octave with my first whistle. My first one was a feadog D, then I got a Clarkes Meg C and a set of brass Generation in all the keys.

This music shop only carries the Parks whistles, so I will take mine along to do a comparison.

Thanks for the good recommendations, I will certainly now consider one a worthwhile investment. (Maybe even see if he welcomes visitors to his workshop, it's in Cape Coral, just round the corner from me!)
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

alisonk wrote:Maybe even see if he welcomes visitors to his workshop, it's in Cape Coral, just round the corner from me!
Now you are thinking like a musician. I would never suggest abandoning the LMS but you have a unique opportunity here. By all means, "meet your maker". Get a hold of Carey and see if he can hook you up.

The pipe, the pipes are calling.....

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Alison, I've got the walkabout model made from black pvc. It's a great whistle, very powerful. Too powerful to suit my tastes, to be honest. I've since gotten a narrow bore Burke that suits me better. I was going to place the Parks on here FS in the next few days. Please feel free to PM me if you have any interest.
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

like everyone else said, don't fear the PVC. Parks are excellent whistles, although the old white ones (like i have) do look like a homemade toy, so i painted mine. the new black ones looks classy (at least in the pics).
well worth it, and super durable.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
ernestmurphy
Tell us something.: No-talent whistle noodler; not a musician and not a session player. Own more whistles than someone of my limited ability has any business owning.

Post by ernestmurphy »

I have a couple Parks whistles, a Walkabout and an Everywhistle, both in D, both of whitish PVC. They're among my best whistles, and that's a bunch that includes a Copeland, a Dixon and a bunch of Jerry Freeman whistles. I carry the Walkabout when I travel. Besides the fact that they sound and play so well, their adjustable loudness is a huge advantage. I think the Parks whistles are good enough to be your first whistle, or if it comes to that, your only whistle.