2013 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jleo Fipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

2013 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Happy New Year Everyone

Back in the days of CB Radio (when it was a rage) roll calls were done on a monthly basis everyone who had access to a radio gave out a holler and got registered in the Big Book the guys doing the Roll Call drove up a mountain and set up a portable radio station just for the event.

Thank fully we don't need a mountain to do this Roll Call

So Please, don't be shy you can just say hello, or say how long you've been whistling, share the current tune or ornament/exercise challenge you are working on.
Last edited by Jleo Fipple on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jleo Fipple

Re: 2013 - ROLL CALL for whistlers & whistle learners

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Hello fellow C&F whistlers,

My name is John for any old radio operators my call sign Silver Shada (CB circa 1980's)) GI0-OJL (HAM) and the (10-20) QTH is Tyrone/Ireland I've been learning to whistle 6 months (there abouts) and I'm thoroughly enjoying the challenge. The tunes I'm currently working on, in no particular order are

Saddle the pony
Tralee Gaol
Nora Criona
Trip to Kilavill

Ornaments are in some ways still eluding me so I resorted to a little practice on rolls and more practice on the separate parts i.e. the cut and tap/strike as it has been said many times by different on-line resources and teachers that the roll is much more difficult when a student doesn't have a good grasp of the separate component parts. Catch you all on the flip flop, we be goin' QRT for now :thumbsup:
Last edited by Jleo Fipple on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Or if you got into CB in the 50's or 60's, mine was KNH0094. :D

4 years whistling.
I'm pretty happy with ornaments right now.

Currently learning:

Toss the Feathers (both versions and I hope there aren't more)
Ril Gan Ainm (Mick Woodruff's arrangement, but my g*d there seem to be dozens of versions out there)
Sliabh Geal gCua
Improvisation

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Mr.Gumby

Re: 2013 - ROLL CALL for C&F Whistlers & Learners

Post by Mr.Gumby »

both versions and I hope there aren't more
At least another two. http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin_144.gif
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

ecohawk wrote:Ril Gan Ainm (Mick Woodruff's arrangement, but my g*d there seem to be dozens of versions out there)
On the assumption that that isn't a joke, "gan ainm" simply means that whoever has called it that doesn't have a name for it. It's like putting "anon" after a poem that you don't know the author of.
ghicken
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ghicken »

I'm Gary and I've been playing the whistle since May and the Irish Flute since August.

For the whistle I'm currently learning some jigs:
The Blarney Pilgrim
My Darling Asleep
Morrison's

All in a set for Irish sessions I attend (I primarily play guitar there right now.)

On the flute I'm learning "The Groves" and studying Grey Larsen's and Hammy Hamilton's books. I also got both of Lesl Harker's books of Mike Rafferty tunes. I also play the whistle and flute tunes on both instruments.
Gary
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
both versions and I hope there aren't more
At least another two. http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin_144.gif
I think I used to know five. Mind, it could be my imagination. I only know three now.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Jleo Fipple wrote:Hello fellow C&F whistlers,

My name is John for any old radio operators my call sign Silver Shada (CB circa 1980's)) GI0-OJL (HAM) and the (10-20) QTH is Tyrone
Where in Tyrone John? I used to live in Enniskillen in the mid-1970's and had friends in Omagh that I used to ride the bus up and see every now and then.

Anyway, my name is Lee, my (ham) call sign is N5MUD, and my QTH is currently Parker County, Texas, USA. I've played the whistle since 1976 and the uilleann pipes since April 2012. Since I've been concentrating on my pipes I've hardly touched my whistles in earnest, but the last tune I worked up was Drúcht Na Maidne. I do keep a couple of whistles handy in my office in case I hear a tune that I want to figure out on the pipes - much quicker to pick up a whistle than to strap into the pipes, and then my pipes are a flat set so it's much easier to learn a tune by ear with the appropriately-pitched whistle.

73, Lee N5MUD
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

My days as a ham ended a long time ago, when I no longer had room for a 5-band trap dipole. I built my own CW transmitter, with a power transformer harvested from an old TV, and a 6146 in the final RF stage, which may give you an idea of how long ago it was.

Now I make the occasional whistle, and play when I can. Mostly, I'm polishing my (small) repertoire, trying to get more regularity in my cuts, and master strikes to the point where I can reliably use them in tunes. I'm no better tapping a whistle than I was tapping a CW key. Along with more conventional stuff, tunes I play include:

Leaving Lismore
The High Road to Linton
Over the Hills and Far Away
Brian Boru's March

When I get my cuts and strikes better, I may try using them on The Silver Spear, or Connaughtman's Rambles. When I get an alto A whistle made, I'll likely work on Neil Gow's Lament for the Death of his Second Wife.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Ex-WB2ZGC, ex-KF6AVB. Licensed in 1966. Current rig is an Icom 746-Pro running 100w barefoot to a tuneable full wave 80 meter loop. Almost all CW and digital modes, sometimes QRP. Also 2m with a 3-el homemade yagi.

The tune I'm currently learning is Maids of the Lough written by my friend Peter Damashek.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

benhall.1 wrote:
ecohawk wrote:Ril Gan Ainm (Mick Woodruff's arrangement, but my g*d there seem to be dozens of versions out there)
On the assumption that that isn't a joke, "gan ainm" simply means that whoever has called it that doesn't have a name for it. It's like putting "anon" after a poem that you don't know the author of.

Well it's good to know that there is a reason for this madness. THanks for the education Ben. It was not a joke. Other than "on me" :D

Ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm Richard, been playing whistle, Irish flute, uilleann pipes, and Highland pipes since the 1970s.

No CB though.

Too busy with a Pipe Band these days to spend much time whistling, but I have a load of tunes I recorded at our local session that I need to get working on.

About ornaments, as I approach the end of my 50s I'm finding that crans don't ripple out like they used to, so for the first time in 30 years I find myself practicing them.

BTW gan ainm means "without name" and gan anam means "without soul" and it's easy for us non-Irish speakers to mix up the pronunciation of the two, being fairly close. (There's an epenthetic schwa between the n and m of ainm giving that word two syllables like anam.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
R Small

Post by R Small »

Working on the Merry Sisters, Cherish the Ladies, O'Farrell's Welcome To Limerick, John in the Fog, the Jolly Tinker. And trying to maintain about 100 other tunes. Just breaking even takes alot of work.
Whelp

Post by Whelp »

First time poster emerging from woodwork.
Greetings to all.
I guess I'm mainly a GHB piper, but have been playing whistle on and off for some years now.
I've mainly been playing my 2 low D's ( MK Pro & C. O'Briain) as my right hand hasn't been working so well lately on the high D's.
Working on 4 reels:
The 3 Stars
Old Maids of Galway
Otter's Holt
Man of Aran
I guess I like that B minor sound.

No Ham or CB experience. I can barely work a telephone.

Colin
kmarty

Post by kmarty »

Hello,
my name is Martin, my callsign was OK1XNH. My last radio was Icom IC-T7 (I had just class D), first was converted PR21 (conversion was necessary, because it was originally for army/police purposes and its frequencies). QTH is Prague/Czech Republic. I'm not active ham more than ten years.

It is a year when I first time held whistle. Serious learning started four months ago when I began learning from teacher.
I'm not sure what exactly is "working on" because I know (uhm) just about ten tunes so I play them all, or at least all which I don't play as I want to play, when I have time to play. Last tune I "learned" is Morrison's Jig. Actually, it was Inisheer, but it was just an attempt to play on low whistle.