Travel case ideas for Clare Two-Piece?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
n4vgm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Travel case ideas for Clare Two-Piece?

Post by n4vgm »

Hello again all, back from playing "other" instruments. Anyway I did try searching for ideas on C&F but found none. I'll traveling by air (long flight) and will only be taking carry on luggage. To have something to play I picked up a Clare Two-Piece and gave it a general tweaking. What I need is an inexpensive hard case for it. I've checked thrift stores for small wood or plastic boxes, investigated other ideas but nothing much is coming up.

It would have to be 6.5" X 1.5" X 1" interior dimensions to work and I'd prefer something "rounded". Eyeglass cases are too short by a wee bit (I have several old ones to try). Plastic would be great because of the light weight.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
All the best,

Bob
Feadoggie

Re: Travel case ideas for Clare Two-Piece?

Post by Feadoggie »

You've got a thousand options on this, at least a thousand. Cigar pocket case, small hard sided digital camera case, portable hard drive case, pencil cases, toiletries boxes, etc. Dollar stores have a ton of little boxes that could be re-purposed. If that doesn't result in something useful go to a Staples/Walmart/BestBuy and look around. There are lots of little techie things around us nowadays that need to be accessorized (so they say). You'll find something. I've carried a set of three whistles in a Palm Pilot case for the last several years.
n4vgm wrote:Eyeglass cases are too short by a wee bit (I have several old ones to try).
That's a good idea. My Sister-in-law is an eye doctor and believe me there are plenty of eye glass cases that would do the trick - but it will likely have a designers name and logo on it. They come in a lot of outrageous shapes and sizes. You might have to look in a boutique eye-wear shoppe though.

Or you could make one easily from a length of pvc pipe and a couple end caps. Line it with felt or some other type of cloth.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

You could also try art supply stores. Seems artists need little plastic boxy things for brushes, paint tubes, controlled substances, pencils, etc

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Thanks, those are some ideas I had not thought of. I did come up with something that will work unless I find something better.

I looked around my boxes 'o junk and found a clear plastic tube from a set of drumsticks I forgot I had saved. One end was removable. It was too long but thin so I cut it down. I used a small microfiber cloth to wrap around the wistle parts so it doesn't rattle.

It's not as flat or sturdy as I would like but it is lightweight and FREE! I'll pop into the various stores you mentioned and see if something else shows up. I carry a small tape measure in the car so I can be sure it will fit.

Thanks again for the great suggestions. I'd put up pics but I gave my camera to my daughter and I can't find my wife's (she's out of town) When she gets back I can show you this tube thing.
All the best,

Bob
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Isn't the whole idea of cheap two piece ones that you stick them in your pocket and be done with it?

My brain hurts

joshua7b

Post by joshua7b »

BigWhistle.co.uk has a pouch for this specific purpose. The only catch is how much it will cost with shipping compared to the cost of your whistle.

http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... 1&offset=7

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
Klaunstance
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Klaunstance »

n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Yes, you are right of course about the pocket but on a long flight I'd rather have it in the carry-on ad I can just imagine it getting bent if not in something stiff. Also to avoid the question "Is that a whistle in your pocket or are you glad to see me?"

The dart cases are promising, I used to play darts so who knows what else is in a box somewhere. I was imagining that the reason I found the plastic tube recently and not before was that the other items in the junk box scurried to the bottom leaving the larger tube as the "sacrifice."

Thanks again!
All the best,

Bob
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Seems like a double cigar case would be perfect then. My first choice would have been to leave it assembled in a PVC tube with caps, but I could see that forcing you to unpack for the TSA every time. Either that or have a larger "valuables" case (like an airline approved Pelican case) that you stuff other carry-on small things into.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

I have often traveled with whistles inside PVC tubes and never had to open one. Just keep the tubes well away from other metal objects so they stand out as thin tubes with mouth pieces.

I imagine keeping whistles inside metal cases would be another story.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

You must have better luck than I do then. I usually get the full pat down and chemical wipe while my wife waits for me on the other side.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

"Chemical wipe" is far too vivid for me. It conjures up way too many images... :boggle:
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon