Your opinion on Andreas Rogge polyacetal chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Nic

Your opinion on Andreas Rogge polyacetal chanter

Post by Nic »

Hi,

I would like to have your opinions about the Rogge polyacetal chanter. I am looking for a chanter I can take with me everywhere, of course, the material of the chanter will not prevent reed problems, but at least, it would be a stable chanter. So, my questions are:

- The famous "in tune" question (yes I know, the reeds makes it, but are they easy to reed ?)
- Are they tempered a lot or...well...mmm...slippery question...
- How would you qualify the volume (powerfull or not too much ?)
- General sound according the fact it is not in wood
- The reed stability ?

Thank's !

Nic
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Your opinion on Andreas Rogge polyacetal chanter

Post by Gabriel »

The one I had was as good as every other Rogge chanter, in every regard - it just felt different under the fingers.
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

I have one, and find it useful for hotel-room practicing. My main complaint is that the holes have a rough finish, i.e., they've got sharp, raised edges (presumably due to "flash," i.e., excess material from the molding process). This is even after one attempt at carving & sanding them down a bit, which I've been meaning to try again, but I don't want to screw up its intonation by removing too much material.

By the way, Seth Hamon also makes injection-molded chanters (at least they sure look injection-molded), in festive colors and at a similar price point.

Cheers,
Mick
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

Rogge polyacetal chanters are not injection molded. They're turned from Delrin stock and the holes are drilled, just like wooden chanters are made. It is true that the holes are a bit rough, but those sticks are still a lot of chanter for the money.
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

Thanks for setting me straight, Gabriel. For some reason, mine feels much lighter (less dense) than my Delrin flute, but then again a D chanter is smaller than a D flute.

Unquestionably an excellent value regardless! :-) I've certainly gotten my money's worth.

--Mick