Grinter flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
monkeymonk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Grinter flute

Post by monkeymonk »

Hello C&Fers,
does anyone here play or know of anyone that plays a Grinter flute and lives in the New England area? I am particularly interested in what it would be like to play one of the large holed Rudall models that he is currently making.

Bob
jim stone

Re: Grinter flute

Post by jim stone »

Just to give you some sort of response, no, I don't live in NE, nor do I now own a Grinter, but I did.
Very much in the spirit of FWIW, it played like a classical instrument. I (I) had trouble getting
a dirty sound out of it. Obviously this is likely to have more to do with me than the flute.
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

Thanks Jim, that's exactly why i want to try one out - to see how i like it. Below are 2 examples of fantastic sounds out of a Grinter flute. I would not call either sound dirty or dry and loud like a pratten but definately reedy, buzzy and fantastically strong sounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E8wD0By__g&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvIOvU_EKI

Bob
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

monkeymonk wrote:Below are 2 examples of fantastic sounds out of a Grinter flute. I would not call either sound dirty or dry and loud like a pratten but definately reedy, buzzy and fantastically strong sounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E8wD0By__g&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvIOvU_EKI

Bob
Yup Bob, that's what a good Grinter sounds like if you have the lip for it. That's been my experience with Grinter flutes anyway. Can sound clean and pure or nice and buzzy. Like most other flutes, it's all in how you blow. McGoldrick, for example sounds essentially the same on all of his CD's, even though he played more than one "brand" of flute over the years. By that, I mean his tone sounded the same - same buzz, cause that's how he rolls, pun intended.

Bob, is the reason you ask because you are seriously considering ordering a new flute from Michael?

Loren
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

Yes, I'm definately considering one of his flutes. I've been working with pratten style flutes for about a year now but feeling more drawn lately to the sweetness and quickness i hear in the above videos. I have a second hand M&E R&R model and i love the quickness in ornamentation but desire more volume and i have read here that the flutes Michael Grinter is making these days have plenty of volume.

Bob
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

monkeymonk wrote:Yes, I'm definately considering one of his flutes. I've been working with pratten style flutes for about a year now but feeling more drawn lately to the sweetness and quickness i hear in the above videos. I have a second hand M&E R&R model and i love the quickness in ornamentation but desire more volume and i have read here that the flutes Michael Grinter is making these days have plenty of volume.

Bob
Most flutes have plenty of volume, don't expect a new Grinter to be some sort of cannon, they are on par with many other R&R style flutes. I am not trying to dissuade you from ordering a new Grinter, they are wonderful flutes, but you won't sound significantly more like those videos if you get one, that's in the player's technique, and they aren't super loud flutes.

Loren
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

Yup Bob, that's what a good Grinter sounds like if you have the lip for it. That's been my experience with Grinter flutes anyway.
and they aren't super loud flutes
I guess that's why i want to try one out - to see what they feel like or feel what they sound like :really:
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

monkeymonk wrote:
Yup Bob, that's what a good Grinter sounds like if you have the lip for it. That's been my experience with Grinter flutes anyway.
and they aren't super loud flutes
I guess that's why i want to try one out - to see what they feel like or feel what they sound like :really:
My bad for attempting to help you out with some first hand info in the unlikely event someone on your block doesn't have a Grinter. :poke: They're super common, so I don't know what I was thinking :tomato:

Carry on, I'll butt out now, don't want to be a party pooper :party:

Loren
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

Oh, not at all, I appreciate your input. The truth is i am in love with my Hamilton but sometimes feel it is a bit too much flute for me :boggle:
I tried to connect a fellow session mate of mine with your Hammy FS but i guess he's not in the market right now.

Bob
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks for that.

FWIW, I hear tell that Peter Maguire has a newish Grinter in Boxwoood, but it's a lefty and keyed, so it probably doesn't help you much with regards to trying it out if you're righty. Still, if you can find Peter when he's playing at a session or something in the Boston area or wherever (not certain what he's got going on currently) at least you could hear one in person.

I don't know where you live, but you could also try the Greenbriar session in Brighton - typically a fair number of flute players and a Grinter owner might be among them, but no guarantees.

Good luck with your search!

Loren
Hup

Post by Hup »

Grinter makes more than one type of flute. His
most popular model is sweet sounding and not
really a cannon. He also makes a large holed
R&R copy - I think the model for it was by Wylde -
that really can roar. I hear it roaring every Sunday
from 5.30-7.30.
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

Hup wrote:He also makes a large holed R&R copy
Thanks Hup, that's the one i wanted to play (i thought that it was his most popular model). I'm not sure i'm going to find one of those Grinters around here and i'll probably have to seek out other large holed R&Rs to try.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

BTW, the Grinter played by Conor in the first youtube vid is the older model that's not so loud. Conor is a great player and I've tried that flute a few times--hard to play. Grinters take time to get into: Conor said it took him 2 years. Another player in N California plays the newer Grinter model and it is significantly louder. Heard Grinter designed the new model at the request of Michael McGoldrick.
chas

Post by chas »

My wife had an older model Grinter and I didn't find it difficult to play at all. Except for the weight: it was a blackwood 8-key and I play keyless or 1-key flutes in box or rosewood. It may be that a Pratten player would have difficulty switching, but I play Rudall-style flutes and had no trouble with it at all. I thought it was a great player, and plenty loud. My only complaints were the weight and all those keys. I definitely wouldn't stay away from it because of the perceived lack of volume or inability to get a dirty sound.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

My old (large hole RR) keyed Grinter in cocus is one of the lightest weight flutes I've played, plenty loud and rich tone possibilities, just needs practice and a good lip, but more forgiving of my limitations than the Rudall.
Mark