CP ANNOUNCING: Freeman tweaked 2-Piece Clare pocket whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

CP ANNOUNCING: Freeman tweaked 2-Piece Clare pocket whistle

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Recently, I got an order from a gentleman in Afghanistan who had been carrying a couple of my whistles with him for several years.

It seems he'd gotten transferred to an impossibly remote outpost, and his gear got misplaced. It was easier to order new whistles than to get his old ones back.

That got me thinking, there should be a Freeman tweaked whistle that fits in a pocket.

So now there is, and here's what it sounds like:
Freeman tweaked two-piece Clare whistle, Willie Coleman's Jig

Here's what it looks like:
(This is an untweaked one, but you get the idea.)

They are available now, for $36.50, plus $6.00 postage anywhere in the world = $42.50 total.

As usual, for http://www.paypal.com, use the email address, jerry thesymbolfor"at" tcenet "dot" net. (Of course, remove the spaces and substitute the actual symbols instead of what's spelled out.)

If you want to send a check or money order, send me a PM, and I've give you my mailing address.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Re: CP ANNOUNCING: Freeman tweaked 2-Piece Clare pocket whistle

Post by Cayden »

Jerry,
Nice idea for a compact whistle. Are you offering them in several keys of primarily in high D?
Glad to hear the lad serving in Afghanistan was reunited with some whistles. :thumbsup:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

For now, they're only available in D, but I'll be thinking about two-piece whistles in A and low G eventually.

Best wishes,
Jerry

or directly from me:

Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Hey Jerry,
Nice idea on the two piece A and low G, the more compact length will make them a bit easier to carry about without hauling a complete whistle roll around. They would probably fit in the glove compartment of one's car. I rarely go anywhere in my vehicle without having a few Freeman Tweaks readily at reach in my glove compartment :thumbsup: Though I never drive and whistle at the same time. :D

Regards,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
LynnB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by LynnB »

Oh boy, and here I thought I would be good for awhile, after placing a 2nd order with you. :) I have been reading about these 2-piece Clares and they look like a lot of fun, but I didn't know where to order one. I am sure I'll be adding this to my "future whistles" list.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

You Go Lynn! :boggle: Full bore WHOAD is at yer heels. :lol:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Cayden wrote:Nice idea on the two piece A and low G, the more compact length will make them a bit easier to carry about ...
Geez Cayden, it's a whistle. Try explaining this to a harp or tuba player..... :poke:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Steve,
Gotta read between the lines lad. Lynn just sent me a PM prior to my post here, describing all of her recent whistle aquisitions to me. The girl is definitely smitten fer whistles. :D

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
ernestmurphy
Tell us something.: No-talent whistle noodler; not a musician and not a session player. Own more whistles than someone of my limited ability has any business owning.

Post by ernestmurphy »

The Clare two-piece has long been one of my favorite whistles, and I hope Jerry's tweak makes it more popular, so the Clare people will keep offering it.

I came up with a great travel case for these whistles. Look online for an eelskin (that's a kind of soft leather) eyeglasses case, the kind that opens on one of the narrow ends. It'll cost you between U.S. $10 and $20. Sew it down the middle, giving it two long, narrow pockets instead of one wider one. Put half of the whistle in each pocket. That's all there is to it. (Nothing special about eelskin, although it is softer and easier to poke a needle through than some leathers. I just happened to have an eelskin eyeglasses case lying around. Other leather or fabric would work just as well.)

The joint in the whistle can get looser after long use. Use of cork grease may prevent that from happening. But if it does, a little teflon plumber's tape fixes it.
Last edited by ernestmurphy on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Just when I thought I had all of the Freeman whistles... this little gem, tweaked 2-Piece Clare pocket whistle comes along. :)

I don't have a Clare, yet...
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

This is really cool. I love the two piece clare's tone, but always felt someone needed to tweak them to really make them shine.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my tweaked clare!

Eric
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

It came today...much needed after spending the past 24 hours in the ICU with my son. Only able to play it for 15-20 minutes while at home for a bit, but it's simply lovely...my new favorite whistle. I love the tone, love that it breaks down in 2 pieces, and Jerry's tweaks make this one heck of a whistle. Soon to come, another Jayhawk whistle sale as I sell off whistle I don't play as much these days (which is most of them...I'm still primarily a flute guy, but EVERYONE needs a whistle, or three, but more than that is greedy for a flute player).

Eric
Tor

Post by Tor »

I have a "regular" non-tweaked 2-piece Clare which I got very cheaply from a sale. I like it a lot. How is the intonation on your tweaked variant? Nat. C on mine is a "4-finger job", as I think Tony Hinnigan calls it.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Four fingers, half holed LH one, or my preferred two fingers (with just slightly less breath) all work fine. I think the note is more in tune than on untweaked clares I have played in the past.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

The Freeman tweaked Two-Piece Clare Pocket Whistle went over well at the Northeast Pipers' Tionol this weekend.

Here's Mike Hogan and Lesl Harker trying out a couple of them:

http://www.freemanwhistles.com/soundcli ... Clares.mp3

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

or directly from me: