Gaelic Font for engraving

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tritaffy
antispam: No

Gaelic Font for engraving

Post by tritaffy »

Was wondering could anyone in UK/Ireland help. I would like to have a gaelic inscription engraved on to the brass of my stock. I really like the old type gaelic font. Anyone know where this can be done ? I've had a quick google and come up empty so far.

cheers

Mei
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Gaelic Font for engraving

Post by MTGuru »

I don't know much about this ... But I'd think that a good commercial-quality Gaelic typeface, a good Irish Bunchló or Seanchló, would be a start. Some engravers might be able to transfer the font directly to the engraving, or use a printed sample as a template or model. You can Google "cló Gaelach" and follow some of the links.

Don't know if that's helpful ...

P.S. I'll copy this to our Irish Language forum, so check there for possible answers, too.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I would think that there would be a jeweler nearby to you that would be able to you out.
most jewelers offer an engraving service.
And most engravers are well used to using that Insular script.

Also you could try getting in a pipe maker that uses an engraver. You may get some good info to pass onto a local jeweler.

Tommy
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

P.S. search google for 'insular script' or 'american uncial'.

Tommy
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Must say something about,
Made special handengravings for 30 years now..also ferrules for top pipemakers several years.
Some things, when making it properly:
making special text(forexample something from old manussricpts), it needs kinda kalligraphic knowledge how its written (spacing, centering, etc) technically with pen and ink.
Second thing is, how the engraving follows kalligraphic work, how to get balanced text vs visible area of ferrule.etc etc.
this way U create personal "touch " with .
Sorry, I'm abit fundamentalist with this :)

(Offcourse we can use computer+engravermachines, but that's totally other story)
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Hi Tritaffy,

I'm a graphics nerd so, I have a couple of ideas you might explore in your area. You could try and find someone who does calligraphy and see if they can prepare art to fit your pipes - this will probably the most satisfactory, (if they are a good calligrapher) but also expensive approach, because after the hand work to do the calligraphy, then it has to be engraved into the pipes. Probably the calligraphy will have to be scanned / digitized as art and loaded into an engraving machine. (I'm guessing here)

Plan B would be to find an engraver (jeweler perhaps) who has a font you like and have them engrave it into the area you want inscribed on the pipes... or, if you're really picky SOB like me - find a designer or printer who has a wide selection of fonts to choose from and have them set the type in the font you like in adobe illustrator, make sure it fits the area you want engraved, then convert the font to outlines, and save the file as an .eps or .ai and hopefully it can be transferred to an engraving machine as "art" not type, and engraved into your pipes.

one cat / skinned 3 ways

g'luck,

Deisman
I'm on it...
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

I agree with uilleannfinlander, a skilled hand engraver can definitely out-perform a computer engraving machine. Not speed-wise, of course ;-) but visually in several respects. Ligatures and character spacing are only part of it - the hand engraving tools leave a very different looking cut.

I think Michael Everson of Everson Typography (www.evertype.com) has the best fonts for Irish - 'Acaill' and 'Corcaigh' are nice ones, for instance. Some of the 'uncial'/'insular' scripts don't look right, and in particular some of the modernized versions look sort of fake to my eye - very different from the old irish calligraphy and early irish typography in books. I'm kind of fond of the font used on old road signs :-)

- Bill
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Yes Bill,
the American uncial can be a bit clunky.
There's a nice version of uncial or insular script that that Colm O'Loughlin (Song collector, piper, IRB member, singer, publisher,etc) helped design in the late 20's I think.

He used it in some of his publications too.

Tommy