Flute case without key - ideas?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tonehole
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Flute case without key - ideas?

Post by Tonehole »

I found a fantastic flute case for a baroque traverso which looks like this:

Although I have a roll case, I'd rather have a hard case to carry it.

It has a central lock as shown, but with no key. I've tried picking it with every
thing possible to no avail.

Is there someway to work out what kind of key it needs without destroying the case, or maybe replace it without major surgery?

Thanks
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Flute case without key - ideas?

Post by plunk111 »

I was in the same situation (well, sorta) and took it to a locksmith. Took a while (not a great locksmith!), but it worked. Check with your local hardware store and see who they recommend.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

This is what I have for my R&R, that way you can keep it in the original case and encapsulate it in a nice cavallaro case, comes with a shoulder strap. http://shop.weinermusic.com/CAVALLARO-L ... FbSOKOk_To
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yup, visit a locksmith or two with it. Depending on their skills and interest they will either simply try a whole load of likely keys (new or old) until they chance on one which works, or they'll take the lock out of the case, open it and discover the correct key pattern and then fabricate one to fit, either from a suitable modern blank (if any) or from something roughly similar out of a junk bucket of old/antique iron keys. I've had this done successfully for 3 out of 4 cases I took to a local, more old-fashioned type locksmith quite recently. :-)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Tonehole

Post by Tonehole »

Many thanks - some great suggestions.

I really like the von Heune looking case:

The last locksmith looked at it and asked if there was jewellery inside. I opened and showed him three pieces of wood and said yes, pointing to the solitary silver key of the traverso.

He just sneered saying it wasn't worth it :(

Maybe I'll go try elsewhere.
Gobae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Gobae »

Tonehole wrote:The last locksmith looked at it and asked if there was jewellery inside. I opened and showed him three pieces of wood and said yes, pointing to the solitary silver key of the traverso.

He just sneered saying it wasn't worth it :(

Maybe I'll go try elsewhere.
I hate tradesmen like that; that's just rude. After all isn't it your job as a customer to decide whether "it's worth it"? As a blacksmith I've had plenty of people want "impractical" things made. But I give them a price nonetheless, then they can decide if it's worth it.

Personally, I love the character of that box; I'd definitely keep looking. Maybe a locksmith who's retired, or a hobbyist?
Gobae - The Blacksmith
Tonehole

Post by Tonehole »

Hi Gobae,

It's okay - that's the thing that's great about having the modern internet. I can find out what alternatives there are, when local solutions don't exist.

The problem I think, is more about the rapid decay of the era of the craftsman. Everything is becoming computer algorithm based for manufacture, so small traditional locksmith techniques are slowly being lost rather than passed down. I guess it just seemed pointless to the locksmith to try and keep something vintage as a part of everyday, instead of disposing of it and getting a new one with a lock.

If all else fails, I'll take up Jon's suggestion. The case he suggested just seems to have perfect dimensions too. Quite incredible - maybe traversos/simple 3 piece flutes just ended up in boxes with similar sizes.
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Rubber bands!
Tonehole

Post by Tonehole »

Oh my goodness.

Just thought I'd share this. You're not going to believe this (or maybe I'm still trying to get over it).

I found an original working key for my flute case!

Here's how I did it (for anyone who hasn't settled on the above options).

It was worse than a needle in a haystack - about 5 lots of the above, and I eventually found the right keys for 2 Georgian/Edwardian flute cases. I tried 4 locksmiths: all of which told me I needed a victorian key, and none of these are cut by modern machinery.

Now to get that Cavallaro case to go with it for the ultimate antique vintage flute case. Rubber bands are good ...but mine all break or crumble within a few months (risk of spilling everything).
Gobae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Gobae »

Nicely done! Good job persevering.
Gobae - The Blacksmith
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Gobae wrote:Nicely done! Good job persevering.
Yes. The key is perseverance.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Rubber bands are good ...but mine all break or crumble within a few months (risk of spilling everything)
In the computer industry (and maybe elsewhere) we often use what are, in effect, double-sided velcro straps, (hooks on one side, loops on the other side) as adjustable re-useable cable straps. Usually about 6-9 inches long, they can be adapted for all sorts of uses, you can even "stick" two together to make a longer strap if needed :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."