"FREEMAN FREE FALL"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

"FREEMAN FREE FALL"

Post by Cayden »

I had been wanting to add some new keys to my whistle kit. In particular, I recently posted looking for opinions on Bb and A whistles. As usual, many from C & F responded with some very helpful information. My curiosity was sparked further regarding whistles in said keys.

As if timed to coincide with my inquiry, someone posted on a tweaked Freeman low G with some additional comments about Jerry's Bb and A whistles. Having read many posts regarding the Freeman Generation in Bb and the incredible tone associated with it, I sent Jerry a private message last night to which he promptly responded. I further determined that the master whistle tweaker lives about twenty minutes away from me. Now for someone not afflicted with WHOA, this might be a great thing, but for me it could spell trouble. :lol:

So after the exchange of several PM's and a phone conversation with Jerry Freeman this morning, I placed an order for Freeman tweaked Bb, A, low G, high F and high G Nickel finish Generation Whistles. Jerry was very gracious and I will be able to pick them up directly from him saving me the cost of shipment.

I figured the aquisition of these whistles from Jerry Freeman will provide me with some good quality Trad whistles, allow me to explore new keys while adding to my whistle kit, and they are priced so reasonably, it allowed me to get a few. I think this is a good way for me to determine if I want more high end or exotic material (wooden) whistles in keys other than D and C.

On a side note, I told Jerry that when I was a kid, I use to hunt for Ruffed Grouse right near where he now lives. Small world.

So before any of my C & F pals try to initiate an intervention regarding my acute
WHOA, it's too late for me lads, I am in a "Freeman Free Fall". I shall post on the tweakers when I get them and have had a few toots. :P

Help me,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: "FREEMAN FREE FALL"

Post by Peter Duggan »

Cayden wrote:Help me,
Cayden
Think you still need high/low E and low Eb, don't you? :devil:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
maki

Post by maki »

Intervension?
Not likely!
Denny

Post by Denny »

I've a spare anchor that I could toss to him...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Cayden wrote:I further determined that the master whistle tweaker lives about twenty minutes away from me.
well that took ya long enough to figure out now, didn't it! :D
Cayden wrote:On a side note, I told Jerry that when I was a kid, I use to hunt for Ruffed Grouse right near where he now lives. Small world.
yeah, when ya get'em all... then don't forget to "hunt" in another twenty minute direction... Walt Sweet, http://wdsweetflutes.com/ as you got two of the best in yer stomping ground
Cayden wrote:So before any of my C & F pals try to initiate an intervention regarding my acute WHOA,
intervention??? the economy needs fixing lad, lots more fixin' and the whistle craftsman is a good starting place... intervention??? get'em all! :) buckshot :tomato: :D :D :D

and double-ought... :tomato: :tomato: how many whistles fit in dat new soft whistle bag yer getting? actually, kill-shot! :thumbsup: just a newbie, just saying
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Ytliek - Just doing my part to keep the whistle makers gainfully plying their craft. :thumbsup: I do consider myself fortunate to have some great whistle craftsman in my neighborhood

By the way, much respect for your Avatar and your service!

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And did you order the Freeman tote bag, T-shirt, cap and boxer shorts.....
Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Steve,
I had it figured you would be coming at me on the new whistles, but to criticize a man for succumbing to the latest trend in fashion? Now that's a blow below the belt my friend. My bloomers are a bit different than the example you have posted here. Mine have six tone holes printed over the fly. :lol:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Steve Bliven wrote:And did you order the Freeman tote bag, T-shirt, cap and boxer shorts..... Steve
now that's stylin', but, with a Jerry Freeman whistle, ya need a stylin' beaver hat... quality headwear http://www.stetsonhat.com/video.php

and I don't need the shorts... not either of those!
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Fair play to you, although in my opinion high F and G are more suitable as cigarette mouthpieces/ conversation pieces than useful whistles :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

The good news is that you're getting good whistles from a nice guy.

And quite fortunate that you're proximal to him, Ralph & Walt Sweet, and not too far from Paul Busman. I guess it's just your destiny.... :wink:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Steve,
Agreed, Jerry seemed like a great guy while I was taliking to him. The geographical location does put me in good proximity to some great makers.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

I hold Jerry's work in the highest regard, but I doubt if even he could make a little high G Generation sound like anything other than an instrument of Satan and all his little wizards. I never go above Eb myself, but Mary Bergin certainly got wondrous things out of an F on her albums.

m.d.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Hide the dogs!

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

emmdee wrote:I hold Jerry's work in the highest regard, but I doubt if even he could make a little high G Generation sound like anything other than an instrument of Satan and all his little wizards. I never go above Eb myself, but Mary Bergin certainly got wondrous things out of an F on her albums.
OK, let me say this ...

The Freeman tweaked F Generation is a surprisingly sweet, birdlike, lovely sounding whistle. Mary Bergin has one, and she said she loves it.

One of my favorite things to do at events is to hand a tweaked F Generation to someone who's been sampling my whistles and say, "Try this." They generally give it a quizzical look and say, "Hmmm. F?" Then they start to play it. They usually play it a long time, and people remark how beautiful it sounds.

I got Cillian Vallely and Kevin Crawford to play "The Last Pint" (usually played on low F whistles) on two tweaked F Generations after a Lunasa concert awhile back, and it worked beautifully.

Most people find the key of G Generation, whether tweaked or not, to be problematic because the toneholes are so close together. Kevin played a living room concert a few years ago, where I first met him, and he tried all my whistles between sets. He was determined to conquer the high G's finger spacing. After a minute or two, he got going, and it sounded great. He stopped for a moment and said, "The trick is to play without any ornamentation at all."

I sell quite a few tweaked high G whistles on eBay. My listing for them states that the finger spacing is very close and they are very high pitched, so bear that in mind before deciding to make the purchase. I've been surprised over the years that I can't remember a single instance when someone complained about the shrillness or finger spacing, and many people have commented about how much they like their Freeman tweaked high G Generations.

Having said that, please be forewarned: The Freeman tweaked high G Generations, while sweeter and less shrill than untweaked high G's, are very high pitched and quite piercing, especially at the top end. And the finger spacing is very close.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.