East Galway fiddlers?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

I've noticed that there seem to be an abundance of East Galways style flautists and box players, but so far the only fiddler I've managed to hear who plays in that style is Kathleen Collins. Does anyone know of any other recordings of fiddlers who have got that approach?
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

There's Paddy Fahey but he hasn't recorded commercially (though I keep hearing that he has done an album but it hasn't yet been released...a rumour that's been circulating for many years and keeps resurfacing).

Lucy Farr, who died last week, was from E. Galway. She can be heard on Paddy in the Smoke; also her cassette "Heart and Home."

Aggie Whyte recorded a brilliant EP with Peter O'Loughlin in the late 50s or early 60s. Not released on CD as far as I know but maybe her playing can be heard on some of the compilations? Also there are some good fiddle players (including Aggie Whyte) to be heard in the old recordings of the Ballanakill Ceili band.

Conor Tully recorded a lovely album of fiddle and flute duets with Paddy Carty.

Could probably think of more but that will get you started. Most of this stuff is no longer commercially available.

Actually, isn't Seamus Connolly from East Galway also? [Answering myself in an edit: no, silly, he's from Clare]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-01-15 13:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-01-15 13:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-01-15 14:00 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

For East Galway fiddles you can look at the Ballinakil band, lovely stuff there, Paddy Fahey has been mentioned and Aggie White. There is some more stuff of her in circulation, there's a [commercially available] cassette with music from the Ballinakil area and she's on that including some lovely duets with Eddie Moloney. She was also part of the Tulla ceiliband for a while.

I have some tapes of playing with her sister Bridie. Riverdance's lead fiddler [well, of one of the companies anyway] is Maureen Fahey who is a daugher of Aggie's sister.
There was another Moloney, can't think of his first name now, he died last year.

Tommy Coen, Eddie Kelly, all of those too.

Martin Rochford and Paddy Canny used to go out to East Galway ['only ten miles as the crow flies across the Slieve Aughties'as Rochford used to say]and spent time with the fiddlers around Ballinakil [Rochford was a lot at White's during the 30s and 40s], there was quite an exchange between east Galway and East Clare.

You'll find out more looking for the old bands of the area, Aughrim Slopes, Ballinakil etc.

And you really want to get the Tully/Carty/Hogan tape. Life's not the same without it.

About the Fahey rumour, that might be the Univ of Lim project on his compositions. He recorded a tape with all his compositions for that project and they were to go into a book with tape/cd attached. Need I say I managed to get hold of that recording :-) There is actually quite a lot of of his music circulating, on his own, with Paddy Carty etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2003-01-15 15:41 ]</font>
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

A few references:

The Ballinakill band can be heard on:

http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_V ... alway.html
FROM GALWAY TO DUBLIN - EARLY RECORDINGS OF IRISH TRADITIONAL MUSIC

http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_V ... Dance.html
PAST MASTERS OF IRISH DANCE MUSIC

The Conor Tully/Paddy Carty tape appears to be out of print -- my copy is from GCD Heritage in Galway, the same people who put out Marcus Hernon's first solo tape.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-01-15 17:59 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-01-15 18:00 ]</font>
mimcgann

Post by mimcgann »

A good place to hear some of Aggie Whyte is on the Ceolnet site:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/ceolnet/index.html

Love her Miss Thornton's!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mimcgann on 2003-01-16 13:40 ]</font>