Travel into the USA with a blackwood flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rickR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Travel into the USA with a blackwood flute

Post by rickR »

My band mates and I are heading to Ireland in June. I'd like to take my McGee black wood with me but am wondering if I'm going to get hassled by American authorities coming back in. I got this flute in a trade, have no documentation and am feeling insecure with Fish and Game's capricious enforcement policies. Have any of you traveled recently and had to deal with this? Thanks.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Travel into the USA with a blackwood flute

Post by MTGuru »

Fish and Game?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I don't think Terry's flutes deserve that!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
JJW

Post by JJW »

Greetings,
From a grateful long-time reader, first post.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) makes allowances for personal property such as jewelry, computers or instruments to be taken out of country and returned without duty. Otherwise how would the 1% get their jewels to Monaco and back, or Lady Gaga her tin whistle to European gigs. There is information on the U.S. Customs web site, and you might consider contacting a local orchestra or similar organization for tips. Don't bother with Fish & Game, unless you transport your flute inside a deer carcass to maintain humidity. Some information from a Customs brochure and a link below to get started:

From: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/tra ... ations.pdf

Quote:
"Register Items Before You Leave The United States

"If your laptop computer was made in Japan—for instance—you might have to pay duty on it each time you bring it back into the United States, unless you could prove that you owned it before you left on your trip . Documents that fully describe the item—such as sales receipts, insurance policies, or jeweler's apprais- als—are acceptable forms of proof .

"To make things easier, you can register certain items with CBP before you depart— including watches, cam- eras, laptop computers, firearms, and CD players—as long as they have serial numbers or other unique, permanent markings . Take the items to the nearest CBP office and request a Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP Form 4457) . It shows that you had the items with you before leaving the United States and all items listed on it will be allowed duty-free entry . CBP officers must see the item you are registering in order to certify the certificate of registration . You can also register items with CBP at the international airport from which you’re departing . Keep the certificate for future trips."

Of note, this process is likely applicable for instruments being sent abroad for repair.

Cheers,

Joe W.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Travelled to and from Ireland, UK, Hungary, Spain, France etc, never had to explain any flute includings ones I acquired while living abroad. Just say its yours you own it. You owned it when you left the US.

Are you worried about it because its blackwood? I believe the only worries with cites are certain brazilian rosewoods as used in guitars? Oh and ivory.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Post a few pics of you and your flute on a band website or facebook page or whatever
(I am sure cleverer people than me will advise)
and if you do get hassle (which I think is unlikely)
you simply tell them to look up and see the evidence online.

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I'm travelling in France now with my blackwood McGee, and had no trouble at all with TSA or customs. This time they even knew what it was. (Last time they asked if it was a fishing rod!).

I decided not to bring the Fagerstrom Technopipes. That might have taken a bit more explaining.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I fly with my technopipes all the time without any hassles.

Regarding blackwood, it's the wood of choice for so many winds, including clarinets and highland pipes. I've never heard of anyone being hassled for the wood of finished products. It's when you have billets of un-turned wood that you might have a problem.
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

I assume the OP is concerned because of all the news last year about musical instruments and wood and customs that stemmed from Gibson Guitars supposedly using illegally harvested rosewood (more likely their CEO pissed off the wrong person). Customs started cracking down on anyone trying to import restricted natural materials without papers. I've heard of antique grand pianos being shipped to the US from Europe and being turned away, unless the owners wanted to literally remove the ivory from the keys. It's about the only time in modern history when environmental protections in the USA have gone too far, instead of not far enough. Technically you need some sort of CITES papers to import an old boxwood flute with ivory rings into the America, though most of the time packages make it without a problem. Everybody knows it's just silly in the case of real antiques, but modern bureaucracy just makes the world look more and more like a Kafka story. So be it.

I wouldn't be worried about carrying a modern blackwood and silver flute in person. If you want to be safe, do you have a receipt from the original purchase? You're only supposed to pay import duties once, so if you have a note from Terry, you should be especially safe.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

I travel with my flutes/whistles and a picture of them that has a time stamp on it to prove that they're mine. Receipts for them are long lost.

Going across borders I've never been questioned except to explain what the instruments are, that they're mine, and I don't intend to declare the purchase of them.

See you there, Rick.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I lived in Ireland for four years and traveled back to the US multiple times a year during that period, each time with at least a flute or two and never once had an issue for a while it was a blackwood flute and an Amazon rosewood flute. Unless you wave it in a customs officers' face and tell them it is made from an endangered wood that needs documentation I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
rickR

Post by rickR »

Many, many thanks all of you who posted. Good advice from all of you and thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I'm feeling better about it and will pursue some of your suggestions to be on the safe side.
Peewit

Post by Peewit »

JJW wrote: Quote:
"Register Items Before You Leave The United States

"To make things easier, you can register certain items with CBP before you depart— including watches, cam- eras, laptop computers, firearms, and CD players—as long as they have serial numbers or other unique, permanent markings . Take the items to the nearest CBP office and request a Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP Form 4457) . It shows that you had the items with you before leaving the United States and all items listed on it will be allowed duty-free entry . CBP officers must see the item you are registering in order to certify the certificate of registration . You can also register items with CBP at the international airport from which you’re departing . Keep the certificate for future trips."
Canada uses this system too. Just find the right office to go to, and show them the item - no proof of purchase or valuation needed. Here, the border officer fills out what the item is and the serial number on a little green card, and you carry it with you. I've done this multiple times and never been asked to show it, but it's peace of mind.
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
Bill Wolfe

Post by Bill Wolfe »

I've had many hassles over my flutes trying to board a plane but never coming back to the US. Even when I put the cases in a separate bin there a 25-60% chance the screener will call for a bag check. Once in Albany, I started to explain they were flutes and offered to show the screener. "DON'T TOUCH THE BAG!!!!!" he shouted, taking the whole kit back to the X-Ray machine, where a gaggle of at least a half dozen out TSA's finest stood around gawking at the image and discussing it before handing me the bag and wishing me a pleasant flight. Last winter in San Francisco, the let me open the case to show my gorgeous 1845 John Garrett 8-key with hallmarked sterling keywork. The screener still insisted on swabbing it for residue. I'm just glad I hadn't been target shooting between sessions.