Looking for opinions on WD Sweet's new Shannon flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cunparis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Looking for opinions on WD Sweet's new Shannon flute

Post by cunparis »

This is a relatively new flute that does not yet have any sound samples (searched everywhere on the net). I'm considering purchasing this for my first flute. There was some talk about it a year ago but then that thread died down. I'm curious if anyone has one and what they think about it. It is comparable in price to the Dixon 3 piece tapered bore and based on my research, it seems Sweet's Shannon has potential to be better value for the money.

Here is a link for the Shannon page: http://www.wdsweetflutes.com/shannon.php

Mr. Sweet has told me the Shannon is very similar to the Sligo (a more expensive model made of wood). He said it plays the same. So or this reason I'm thinking it'd be a good deal for a first flute.

If you've heard one or seen one, or have an opinion on the Sligo, please let me know.

Thanks
sfwhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Looking for opinions on WD Sweet's new Shannon flute

Post by sfwhistle »

I received my Shannon flute today and it's a beauty. It's very responsive, plays in tune, and has a beautiful full sound. I have small hands and can play the flute without using the EZ grip (hope I got that right). However, it is more comfortable to use the EZ grip with my right hand.

While I didn't weigh the flute, it is substantial. Heavier than an older Dixon model I have.

I haven't played the Dixon you mentioned, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Shannon. And Walt Sweet is a pleasure to do business with.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

sfwhistle wrote:the EZ grip (hope I got that right).
:)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

sfwhistle wrote:I received my Shannon flute today and it's a beauty. It's very responsive, plays in tune, and has a beautiful full sound. I have small hands and can play the flute without using the EZ grip (hope I got that right). However, it is more comfortable to use the EZ grip with my right hand.

While I didn't weigh the flute, it is substantial. Heavier than an older Dixon model I have.

I haven't played the Dixon you mentioned, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Shannon. And Walt Sweet is a pleasure to do business with.
Thanks for the report. You're the first person who has one that I've found.

What do you think would be the difference between the Shannon and some of the more expensive flute makers that have delrin flutes for $100-$200 more (for example a Copley)?

Thanks and if you can post a sound sample of the Shannon I'd love to hear it.
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

Thank you, everyone.
I weighed the Shannon at 315g. Sorry I won't have sound clips for a while.
Walt
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Does the Onyx head fit the Shannon?
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

Bad response and bad tuning will result. I explored this possiblity years ago, about having swapable heads; for best results, they're two separate instruments with two separate bores. I know I've done this on HiDs, but they, too, might be better if separated. The low Ds can be tricky, but the results will be disappointing. I haven't fully evaluated the competitions' duo-head instruments, but for me, I want to offer the best flute and the best whistle, and this is the best I've come up with so far.
Ronk
Tell us something.: I enjoy playing flutes & whistles. C&F is a great place to learn more about both. It is interesting to find out more about makers, history, techniques and making music with these instruments.

Post by Ronk »

While I understand that the Shannon and the Onyx are different breeds they do come from the same stable and my experience as a relative newbie low whistler with the Onyx has been outstanding. I am able to cross finger / half hole every note making it esentially a chromatic instrument. It plays easy and as best as I can tell is in excellant tune. If the Shannon performs like that based on the maker's skill it should be a winner.
maki

Post by maki »

Thats a mighty attractive price for a conical bore derlin flute.
sfwhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by sfwhistle »

Now that I've had a few days to play my new Shannon flute, I like it even more than when I first replied to this post.

I would like to clarify my referring to the flute as "substantial". I meant that in a positive way. It feels good in my hands and when I lift it up to play, the flute just settles into the playing position. With lighter flutes I've had the feeling that any movement of my arms or hands would affect the position of the flute. This instrument doesn't move unless you want it to.

I've not played a Copley or an Olwell flute, so I can't compare. However, my Boehm flute is a Powell, so I do know a good flute when I play one.

If I can figure out how to record a sound sample I will. I'm technologically challenged, but I'll try.