Teada

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

Has anybody heard the group Teada? It's a new one to me. They'll be coming here about the end of the month. Here being semi-beautiful London, Ontario. I was able to find some sound samples here.
http://teada.calabashmusic.com/

It might be worth a visit if you're in the area. Janice? Anyone else?

Steve
janice

Post by janice »

Have you got dates, Steve? Bruce and I could make it up to London.....
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Sunday, Jan 26 at Chaucer's. Here's the Cuckoo's nest web site.

http://www.cuckoosnest.folk.on.ca/

I hope you make it. I usually reserve some tickets but I don't know if it's necessary.

Steve

ps I sent you a private message a while ago, Janice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SteveK on 2003-01-05 16:08 ]</font>
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

They're playing in Ann Arbor Feb 10th as well.

But, but, but, they don't have a whistle player. (Teada actually means "strings", I believe.)
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I guess I should add that they were here last summer, too, and they're very cool. I'm definitely going to hear them again, despite the lack of whistle.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On the sound samples I heard there was a flute. It sounds like he doesn't play whistle. Is that right? Well, anyway, flutes are good.

Steve
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Go see Teada. You'd be making a huge mistake not to.
Teada features, among others, young Ossian MacDiarmada - one finest fiddlers to come of out of Ireland in a long, long time. He also plays a mean whistle, so I'd expect some whistle in the concert.
You really owe it to yourself to go to this concert - it's some of the best Sligo music you'll likely ever hear.
Best,
Chris
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Steve
I totally agree with Chris - definitely should not be missed.
I used to go to the Cuckoos Nest Folk Club in the early eighties when we lived in London. In fact that is where I was turned on to Irish Trad Music. Joe and Antoinette McKenna came to perform. They were selling a few of Antoinettes sister's tapes - "She is a fine whistle player" they said. I was broke, so bought their tape and passed up on the sister's....
A couple of years later I "discover" Mary Bergin (the sister) in my quest to learn to play whistle. Tweny years later, I go to the Catskills to study with Mary. Small world!
My husband and I used to belong to Forest City Morris Dancers - we had some great times! Not sure if I could jump around with bells on like that anymore!
Enjoy the concert!
Sue
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2003-01-06 00:35, Whistlepeg wrote:
I used to go to the Cuckoos Nest Folk Club in the early eighties when we lived in London. In fact that is where I was turned on to Irish Trad Music. Joe and Antoinette McKenna came to perform.
I was at that concert, I think. At least I went to hear them here. It was at UWO but the regular Cuckoo concerts were in Luther house at the time, weren't they? Anyway, they're downtown at Chaucer's now.

Steve
colomon

Post by colomon »

I must have been hit on the head or something, I completely forgot about the flute player. Still, according to the liner notes, their album only has whistle playing on one track, and that's a song. (And it Oisin playing that.)