Any flutplaying scandinavians out there using "snus"??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ketil
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Any flutplaying scandinavians out there using "snus"??

Post by Ketil »

Hi. A bit strange and perhaps very local question from a norwegian fluteplayer.. I have used "snus" (fine cut tobacco that you put under your upper lip.. very popular in Sweden and Norway.. USA has a variant also..) since I was about 16 years old. I am now 36. I started playing the flute a couple of years ago and although I do have some progress I am still having trouple getting my embouchure stable. I get good tone occasionally, but I am unable to maintain the tone very long. I remove the snus when I play, but are there anyone out there that have any experience with this?

I am trying to kick the bad habit, and if it improves my flute playing that may be the final motivation needed!

Any experience?

Ketil
fiddleflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Any flutplaying scandinavians out there using "snus"??

Post by fiddleflute »

Hi Ketil,

now I also know what the brown stuff was I found in your flute when I cleaned it. Try using your snus as earplugs, maybe it helps ;-)

Slainte, Andreas
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Hehe..not really helpful Andreas. You just won't let me forget that the flute was in worse shape than you expected, won't you... :poke: As mentioned above I remove the snus before playing, but I guess it doesn't help the muscle memory in my lips, though..
daveyfin

Post by daveyfin »

Hi,

I have a little experience with snus as my wife is scandinavian, and on my visits there I have known a few people to use it.

Apart from possibly giving you all sorts of horrible cancer, and the fact that it makes your gum shrink, it may very possibly numb your inner lips as a side effect, thus prohibiting a sensitive embouchure. This my not be so apparent right now, but after a while (after quitting, and please do) you may get the sensitivity back, and then you will know the difference.

Davey
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

In my family I had a number of relatives who worked in the shipyards of Maine during the 1800's. Because of the flammability of the materials they worked with and around (pitch, glues, paints, varnish. shellac, and sawdust) they were constrained from smoking and so used 'snoose' or 'chaw-tobacco'. I know of at least three who had horrific mouth, tongue, and facial cancers, suffering grotesque facial disfigurements because of the primitive state of surgery in that day.
Nicotine is an alkaloid often classed as a narcotic. It acts directly on the central nervous system and I have little doubt it would adversely effect your facial nerves. Please improve your fluting by quitting.
You may be familiar with a Scandinavian (probably Swedish) proverb that goes: The patient died, but his fever left him. . .Don't let dying be the cause of your ceasing to use 'snoose'.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
onewheeldave
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by onewheeldave »

While I wouldn't want to promote use of any tobacco based products, snus is generally considered way safer, and ,less carciogenic, than cigarettes etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus#Health_consequences
an seanduine wrote:In my family I had a number of relatives who worked in the shipyards of Maine during the 1800's. Because of the flammability of the materials they worked with and around (pitch, glues, paints, varnish. shellac, and sawdust) they were constrained from smoking and so used 'snoose' or 'chaw-tobacco'. I know of at least three who had horrific mouth, tongue, and facial cancers, suffering grotesque facial disfigurements because of the primitive state of surgery in that day.
I suspect that the materials they worked with and around, with probably none of the protection (face masks, extraction fans etc) we'd have today, would likely have substantially contributed to those facial cancers.
OOwl

Post by OOwl »

I smoked on and off for a number of years when I was younger (until 28 I think). I also used "snus" for a brief period during college. However, "snus" was much more difficult to quit than smoking. For me at least. ...and you've been at it for 16 years!

So good luck to you, my friend! And I would, as others have, recommend you stop. Maybe the use of nicotine gum, patch, or both will help. Hope the flute playing comes along as well. :thumbsup:
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

The container is clever. But that's it.
"Ashtray" lid found on many snus tins, which snaps in and out of place. The small compartment is typically used for the temporary storage of used snus."
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

I can't play (very well) with snus under my upper lip.. I use the 'teabag' variant so they're pretty easily disposed of without leaving traces in the flute :p
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

I know that any tobacco or nicotine products are bad for me, and I know I should stop, and I am trying to! I was wondering if there are others out there with experience playing the flute and using snus. I'd like to know from other people what experience they had after giving it up regarding better tone control and embouchure.

Mr Blackwood; How long have you been using and how long have you played the flute? What came first? Flute or snus?

I have lots of good arguments and motivations to quit, but I was also hoping to hear from anyone saing that the playing will greatly benefit from quitting!

I have decided that when (not if) I quit I can put aside money for a new flute... That's motivation:-)
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Mmmm, I love snus. Probably a good thing that the real Swedish stuff is nonexistent in this area. I used to order it online... General and Ettan were my favorites.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Ketil wrote:
Mr Blackwood; How long have you been using and how long have you played the flute? What came first? Flute or snus?
I have been a snus (ab)user for more years than i care to remember.. my flute (ab)use ;) have only been serious for around 7 months (since i got my Murray) for 15 years i had an old German flute that was nigh on unplayable, snus or no snus.
Unfortunately my willpower ended after quitting smoking, so for now/the foreseeable future, i will simply put my wee 'teabag' in the lid tray whilst playing the flute.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

I am proud to announce that I am answering my own question. I have now been a non-snuser for one week! I was really motivated to stop and had decided that this year (after 20 years off tobacco/nicotine addiction) was the year to kick the habit!

As flute embouchure goes I really find it improving after only one week. I have much more sensivity in my upper lip and the muscle memory seems to be much better. It is much easier to find the sweet spot and hold it longer. Although it has been a rough week and I am prepared for a long period of the shakes I am really happy and motivated and convinced this is the right way for both my health and my fluteplaying!!

Ketil
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

:party:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Good job! The first 10 days are the worst. After that, the nicotine is out of your system and it's all mental.