F.S. - Antique Boxwood Flute with 4 Bras Keys $350

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

F.S. - Antique Boxwood Flute with 4 Bras Keys $350

Post by Sillydill »

Offered for adoption are the following old Boxwood flutes with 4-keys of Brass.

First is a D-flute by Haeseneier of Coblenz (Modern Koblenz Germany) with Ivory rings. I would like $350 for this flute plus postage.

This is an exceptional playing flute, it plays at about 445 with the slide shut, but pulled out ~8.5mm it plays at 440 with a scale that will put many contemporary flutes to shame! Of course the F# are flat (you don't have to do the math, just look at the holes), but that is part of the charm of these older flutes. The tone is surprisingly deep and strong, very much like Phil Bleazey's flutes. I believe this comes from an extra bit of depth to the chimney of the embouchure. I really don't know the age of this flute, I would guess first half of 19th. century.

As shown in the pictures, there are repaired cracks to the head and barrel. The head is only partially lined, so the crack only progressed up half the head. The crack is located on the audience side of the head. I repaired the cracks (removed slide, mended, reamed and reset slide) 4-5 years ago and they have been stable and without issue. The little white pieces visible in the pictures are the ivory remnants of the original ring from the base of the head. I will include a cylinder of the best synthetic ivory (1 3/8" x 4 1/2") for the replacement of the ring (this was Jon C's preferred substitute, which is no longer available).

Second is a F-flute with ring made of horn. SOLD
This flute is a lark to play with a sweet chirpy voice and is just so responsive and easy to play. It plays at about 442 with the head/body fully closed. The flute bears no maker's mark, but I believe it was made by W. Liebel of Dresden (based upon pictures on the internet, see Rick Wilson's Flutes and the Dayton Miller Collection) which would date it at about 1825. *Note: The G#-key on the Right Hand section and the forward facing F-key (I very much like this arrangement)! :thumbsup:

The socket in the foot is broken (see picture) and I've simply bound it with thread to reinforce it (this has worked for over 5 years). As added insurance, I also wrapped the other rings as well (horn is not very strong).

Offers will be considered and I would like to keep the sale within the U.S.

Please feel free to ask questions.

Please direct inquiries and offers to P.M. or email sillydill@sbcglobal.net
Last edited by Sillydill on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Sillydill

Re: F.S. - Antique Boxwood Flutes with 4 Bras Keys $350

Post by Sillydill »

Roger the Shrubber: "Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history."

In light of the current economy the price has been adjusted accordingly!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Sillydill

Re: F.S. - Antique Boxwood Flute with 4 Bras Keys $350

Post by Sillydill »

LAST CALL!

$300 without faux ivory.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I'm broke but somebody ought to buy this flute.
Sillydill knows flutes and it's bound to be as good as he says.
At the price it's going for less than a sweetheart D.....
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

What Sad Times These Are!!!

But alas the flutes are sold! :)
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Congratulations to all concerned.
(Gee, what a nice barrel. Looks like 19th century boxwood...)