FS: C half set - Daye Chanter and highly tweaked Pakistani drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommyk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

FS: C half set - Daye Chanter and highly tweaked Pakistani drones

Post by tommyk »

I purchased this set in June of 2011 for a very specific purpose. I wanted a set of pipes to take with me on a motorcycle trip which afforded me a week of evenings of practice.
This hearty little set is simply amazing. Perfectly playing before, during, and after the trip.
I'll paste the original fettler's (a piper of many years' experience) description below, as he's much more qualified to address his work.
Suffice it to say, this would be a great intro for anyone who thinks he or she might want to try the uilleann pipes on for size (anyone would be hard-pressed to find a decent, excellent working condition half set of pipes for this price), or for an already budding piper to try out the slight extra reach of a C set before diving into a higher priced order.
I have several photos and a sound clip ready to send to you if interested (and I'll need an email address in order to do so).
I am selling this because my own D set on order is coming due soon, and I've discovered that the C chanter is slightly too long a grasp for my hands.
The flat shipping fee of $25.00 within the contiguous United States; an estimate of $50.00 shipping to the rest of the world.
NOTE: I am also happy to offer a payment deal of sorts; I would accept a deposit from someone who might need a bit of time to get the money together.
I accept personal checks (though will wait for them to clear my bank) as well as money orders (U.S. Post Office, Western Union, etc.) as payment forms.

Here is his original description from the fettler:

---
I assembled this flat pitch Uilleann pipe half set (key of C) about a year ago using a David Daye Chanter purchased new (see his website), along with upgraded/modified Pakistani-made drones and upgraded/modified Pakistani bellows. It is an economical set with all reeds, valves and seals functioning well and sounding good. The chanter is black synthetic with brass interior throat, brass wind cap and very basic ivoroid trim. The chanter reed has been handled with care, plays well and is in reasonably good pitch in two full octaves (sound sample is available). The reed is of medium strength and has strong volume and good tone for it's moderate air requirements. Two keys are installed on the chanter. The drone stand is blackwood with rosewood stock and brass fittings and I have hemped and sealed any leaks, loose joints, reinforced a vulnerable area on the baritone drone with brass tubing, and have extended the bass drone with additional brass tubing to reach down to the low C pitch. The tenor and baritone drone reeds consist of cane bodies with plastic tongues (see David Daye's composite drone reed design). The bass drone is set up with a bass E-Z drone reed (synthetic materials). The drones have a rich tone and are quite pitch-stable (sound sample available). The sound bell on the bass drone is wood. The bag is a good quality L&M bag with moderate wear. The metal ferrules on the bag's air pipe stock and chanter stock are of chrome finish. The bellows are heavy, with oiled leather, and with added reinforcement on the strap attachments for longer wear. The clear air hose with black velvet sleeve has plenty of length to be snipped down to custom fit.
---

This is an opportunity to play a well functioning, nice-sounding, economical flat pitch set without the usual long wait and thousands of dollars cost. I paid $975.00 for this set.

I am asking $950, plus $25.00 shipping within the contiguous United States.

Cheers!
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com