sharp As on peterson bouzouki?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Ketil
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

sharp As on peterson bouzouki?

Post by Ketil »

Hi. I have a level one peterson bouzouki with a bit of a strange problem. Sometimes the As suddenly sound sharp. I can tune up and when i press down the strings down the frets they are sharp.
It does seem to just happen occasionally and I haven't found the reason yet. All the other strings are ok so it is not a problem of adjusting the bridge.

I was thinking maybe if the slots either on the bridge or the nut are a tight, would this happen? Would the strings get "stuck" in the slots and therefore sharpen the tone?

Have anyone had this problem or have a general tip I could try. When I change strings I usually sounds good and in tune a while, but then it happens again..

Thanks, Ketil
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: sharp As on peterson bouzouki?

Post by kkrell »

Age/wear of strings and temperature affect tuning. So does setup of the nut and saddle. Yes, the string should fit freely into the nut slot (temporary fix for some people is to rub the graphite from a pencil in the groove), and any compensation for intonation generally takes place at the saddle.

Best suggestion is to see a luthier or repair person and be sure the instrument is setup properly for the string gauges you're using.
Dr Funkenstein
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dr Funkenstein »

It does sound like an action/string height adjustment issue. The G string on my guitar tends to sharp out the longer I go between setups.

Another thing to consider: are you humidifying your bouzouki during the winter months? Dryness might be affecting your instrument's setup.

-Jeff
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Ketil, which one of these scenarios do you mean? You tune the open strings normally, then when you fret notes on the A stings,

1. the open A's become sharp. =or=

2. the fretted notes are sharp with respect to the open A's.

If #1, then like kkrell I'd guess a pinched nut slot. If #2, then like Dr. Funk I'd guess a setup issue.

For #1, run some graphite (pencil lead) into the A string nut slots. And/or fold a small piece of fine grit sandpaper in half and very gently run it a few times through the A string nut slots.

For #2, fret each A string at the 12th fret and compare the pitch to the harmonic at the same position. If the fretted notes are sharper than the harmonic, then the action is too high or the scale length for those strings is set wrong and should be adjusted by your luthier.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I was interpreting this as a problem with fretted notes and my thoughts that follow are in that regard. Another possibility is that the fret in this particular spot is worn or flattened to the point what the string is coming in contact with the fingerboard. Also you could be bending the strings slightly which could be altering the pitch. I have to agree with kkrell that you should take it to a luthier, of course if it is just string bending than the luthier won't be able to do anything for you.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Asking this in the Builders and Repair forum of the MandolinCafe.com may get you an answer from someone who actually built your instruent. It's surprising who hangs out there.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Thanks. The problem is that the fretted notes are sharp compared to the tuned open strings on the A strings. "Let your luthier take a look at it" is not as easy as it sounds. Not many luthiers around.. In my town there's no musical shops and in the other nearby shops most of the people working there don't know much about instruments other than trying to sell them to neebies..

I try contacting Mr Peterson in person.
Ketil
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Ketil wrote:Thanks. The problem is that the fretted notes are sharp compared to the tuned open strings on the A strings. "Let your luthier take a look at it" is not as easy as it sounds. Not many luthiers around.. In my town there's no musical shops and in the other nearby shops most of the people working there don't know much about instruments other than trying to sell them to neebies..

I try contacting Mr Peterson in person.
Ketil
Yes, let us know what Mr. Peterson suggests as to the source of the problem. Assuming you determined that the string seats well at the nut, as we've described earlier, then takes your choice:

1) Wrong gauge/tension string for the instrument;

2) Action is too high, thus pressing that greater distance down to the fretboard sharpens too much;

3) Saddle is not compensated correctly for scale/string length. I suppose an improperly dressed fret wire could also make the sounding length at a particular position be off as well.

4) Neck problem, although I would expect that would tend to affect the entire instrument.