Intake Valve Question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Intake Valve Question

Post by Hans-Joerg »

On many older bellows you find this metal rod:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... poss4.jpg/
Does somebody know the reason?
Lars Larry Mór Mott
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Intake Valve Question

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

A perch for hummingbirds? :)
Seriously, i don't have a clue.. Never seen one in real life.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Guesswork but it looks like a simple device to see if the valve was aligned and also perhaps to be used as a grip to realign should it move or to help removal to replace the valve.It would also stop £50 notes going into the bellows by mistake....
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

You're all wrong. It's to prevent gremlins from getting into the pipes and messing with the reeds.
PJ
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Can be used to pull a tight or stuck intake valve with fingers or pliers so the wood is not marred. It also is a visual reference keep the valve oriented correctly.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

hpinson wrote:Can be used to pull a tight or stuck intake valve with fingers or pliers so the wood is not marred. It also is a visual reference keep the valve oriented correctly.
Isn't that whit I wrote :-? or has this now turned into a competition tae see who can say the same thing differently :-? My three entries are...

1.it looks like a simple device to see if the valve was aligned and also perhaps to be used as a grip to realign should it move or to help removal to replace the valve.or

2.is vultus amo a simplex ratio ut videret si esset CYMBALON tincidunt vel, varius et forte etiam dici debet movere vel adiuvare ut dimittas realign ad remotionem CYMBALON reponere.or

3.inaonekana kama kifaa rahisi kuona kama valve alikuwa iliyokaa na pia labda kutumika kama mtego kufanyia marekebisho ngazi lazima ni hoja au kusaidia kuondoa kuchukua nafasi ya valve. :really:
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Uilliam and Harlow: I am guessing into this direction, too. If you make pipes you have left many round wood-ends. Eventually, you´ll find one that fits snugly into the valve and is long enough for a good grip with a pair of tongs. If you sawed a curb into one end you might be able - after some trials - to twist a stuck valve and then pull it out with a smaller pliers.

BTW - the gremlins and the 50 pound note reminded me of a lovely story that Paddy Keenan tells. Ask this "Global Player" about this insect that got sucked into his set in the middle of this gig somewhere in East Asia :)
Last edited by Hans-Joerg on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Hans-Joerg wrote:BTW - the gremlins and the 50 pound note reminded me of a lovely story that Paddy Keenan tells. Ask this "Global Player" about this insect that got sucked into his set in the middle of this gig somewhere in East Asia
ohmygosh&eww. thats precisely why i'm content to stay in philly & play only funerals & luxury yacht launchings. :lol:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

CHasR wrote:play only funerals & luxury yacht launchings. :lol:
What, no working class yacht launchings? What an elitist!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

MTGuru wrote:
CHasR wrote:play only funerals & luxury yacht launchings. :lol:
What, no working class yacht launchings? What an elitist!
darn! snagged again. :P Admittedly, yacht launchings for either class have been somewhat...thin...recently.
still, an elegant simple solution to keeping UFO's out of one's bellows, that hummingbird perch.
reedmasters

Post by reedmasters »

I thought it kept the leather flapper from dropping into the air way, thus keeping in place on the inside of the bellows. It could also keep all but the smallest beasties from finding a new home.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

reedmasters wrote:I thought it kept the leather flapper from dropping into the air way, ...
I think, the flapper, by default, would not come through the opening, it being just slightly larger than it in order to seat/seal properly.

So yes, clearly the bar is a hummingbird perch.

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
patsky

Post by patsky »

I think it is a simple device to aid in removing the valve, in case the flapper gets warped and needs replacing. With this device simply take a pair of pliers, grab the rod give it a twist and out come the valve.

Pat Sky
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com