name that tune

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
john

Post by john »

matt molloy plays a slow reel at the end of planxty's 'the woman i loved so well' - i think it comes after 'little musgrave' - does anyone know what this tune is called?
Garth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Garth »

The liner notes for the disc list the tune as Paddy Fahy's Reel.

Garth
john

Post by john »

thanks,

does anyone have a link to where i can get a transcription of this tune - i was looking at john chambers' tunesearch
(http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html)
but there are loads of paddy fahy reels and i don't which one it is
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

On 2003-01-03 07:13, john wrote:
thanks,

does anyone have a link to where i can get a transcription of this tune - i was looking at john chambers' tunesearch
(http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html)
but there are loads of paddy fahy reels and i don't which one it is
Paddy Fahy has written lots of great tunes and has put names on none of them. So no matter where you look you will find tons of tunes called simply "Paddy Fahy's". The only way to find the one you're looking for would be to play through all of them until you find it. That should be a good exercise, as many of his tunes are not exactly flute-friendly...
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

There's an easier way, just listen to the midi files at JC's or TuneDB (which I prefer), That's how I usually find the version of a tune I'm looking for.

Also, at TuneDB, once you've searched for the tune's title, you can scroll through the abc's and often the abc will have a notation as to where the transcription came from: Matt Malloy's album, Laurence Nugent's version of Fahy's, etc. etc.

It can take a little time, but it's a lot quicker than playing through all these tunes, although that might be a good exercise...
Good Luck