How to Lubricate a Tuning Slide

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
irishmusicfreak
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

How to Lubricate a Tuning Slide

Post by irishmusicfreak »

Hello everyone!

I am the new owner of a Copeland high D whistle, and the tuning slide is very hard to move. I would like to lubricate the tuning slide, but I do not want to damage the whistle in any way. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks,
irishmusicfreak
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How to Lubricate a Tuning Slide

Post by MTGuru »

Hi and welcome. :-)

The Copeland tuning slide is just metal-on-metal, so there's not much you can do to damage it. The fit should be tight to prevent leaks, but not so tight that you can't easily adjust the tuning with a slow and smooth push/pull and twisting motion.

Just remove the head joint and clean the slide area thoroughly so there's no grit, dirt or grease. Then apply a thin coat of your favorite goo - cork grease (which I use), Vaseline, brass tuning slide grease. Reinsert and wipe off any excess. Voilà, you're good to go.

It's a good idea to move the slide periodically even if you don't need to, just to keep the joint from seizing up. You can re-do the clean and lube maybe a time or two per year, or when the movement starts to feel sticky again.

Good luck, and enjoy your new whistle!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

The way I learned to lubricate a Boehm flute headjoint was to use nose grease. Just rub the tenon against the side of your nose before inserting it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

JackCampin wrote:The way I learned to lubricate a Boehm flute headjoint was to use nose grease. Just rub the tenon against the side of your nose before inserting it.
Some makers - Reyburn, for example - recommend exactly that.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Nose grease. Great stuff.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

JackCampin wrote:The way I learned to lubricate a Boehm flute headjoint was to use nose grease. Just rub the tenon against the side of your nose before inserting it.
I'm guessing that you mean inserting the tenon into the headjoint, not your nose. Although on those nights when the Guinness is flowing it may not be all that easy to remember....
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Steve Bliven wrote:I'm guessing that you mean inserting the tenon into the headjoint, not your nose.
Unless it's a Boehm nose flute!

Nose grease is a problem if you suffer from the tragic condition known as "dry nose". Then you end up seeking out strangers to rub your whistle on their proboscises - which is a misdemeanor in 37 states.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Must be thirty years ago, but sure I recall my flute teacher recommending ear wax to aid movement between the (Boehm) foot keys as well...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Hopefully this will end the "bodily secretions as lubricants" portion of the discussion....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Oils well that ends well.
WmJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WmJ »

I would like to lubricate the tuning slide, but I do not want to damage the whistle in any way. Does anyone have some suggestions?
I use this on my brass and aluminum Burkes. When I showed it to Mike Burke at the Dublin Irish Festival a few years ago he seemed OK with it.

The temperature range is particularly nice: It doesn't much matter if my playing is hot or cold! :wink:

The Burke instruction sheets also say, "Lubricate slide monthly and move slide every time you play the whistle."