Best Low D Whistle with little air requirement...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
helric
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Best Low D Whistle with little air requirement...

Post by helric »

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy a new Low D whistle (I already own a Dixon non-tuneable and a Domnahl Na Gruen low D whistles). I don't know what whistle buy but I want to get a new one to experiment new sound and sensations.. . I've seen the Howard, the Alba Vibe and the Chieftain V3. They sound good to my ears but I need some advice to decide myself. I prefer Low whistles which don't need much air due to my lungs (unfortunately they are a little bit weak to play the high air requirement whistles :puppyeyes: ).

Can you help me to make my choice ?

Thank you !
Feadoggie

Re: Best Low D Whistle with little air requirement...

Post by Feadoggie »

Best is a subjective thing but these two choices are both at the top of many players lists, considering your air requirements along with other "best" characteristics.

Colin Goldie - discuss with him what you require when you are ordering the whistle.
or
MK from Misha Somerville.

If you still prefer one of the Kerry products I'd suggest the Optima instead of the V3 based on your stated needs.

Hope that helps
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

One of the easiest Low D whistles to play for me was Daniel Bingamon's $28 practice low D. It's not a whistle of wondrous beauty, but it does have a decent sound, easy fingering and fairly low air requirements ... plus a fantastic price. Since it is not tunable it might not work for group playing. At that price, it would give you a new whistle to play while making up your mind on another.
trill

Post by trill »

Of the low-D's I've played (maybe eight), the one with the lowest air requirement is a "Resonance" model from Sweetheart Flute. In addition, it has the strongest bell note of any I've played. It's a voice all it's own.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

There are two different sorts of air requirement, the pressure of air required, and the volume of air which passes through the whistle.

Of the fifteen or twenty different Low Ds I've tested out, the MK is the most air-efficient in the matter of volume of air: less air passes through, meaning that longer phrases can be played on a single breath.

As to the matter of the air pressure required, being a Highland piper all whistles are extremely "easy" in this regard. I would say that on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a whisper of air and 10 being a strong Highland bagpipe chanter reed, that all the whistles I've ever played range from 1 to far below 2. In other words, the air pressure of whistles is negligible.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
helric
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by helric »

Thank you for your opinions ... It's very interesting. I like the whistles with good backpressure, but I have trouble with those requiring a lot of air. This is due to a kind of lung disease, however I can blow hard, but with a reduced lung capacity.
I heard that Howard whistles are those kind of instruments, high backpressure and low air Requirement, what do you think of that?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

helric wrote:I heard that Howard whistles are those kind of instruments, high backpressure and low air Requirement, what do you think of that?
Opinions on such characteristics are all subjective and based on the experience and number of different whistles individuals have played. I wouldn't say my Howard has either high back pressure or a low air requirement. I'd rate it more medium in my experience. I'd still recommend the Mk or a Goldie.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.