my web site has been hacked!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
UncleChuck
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

my web site has been hacked!

Post by UncleChuck »

Some one hacked my web site! :o :o :o :x :x :x :x

I hate that. I hope I can find out who did it. I just wanted everyone to know that I do not put those stupid advertisements in my site and that its a F*&@#^G hack job.

Rant ended...
-=chuck=-
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Re: my web site has been hacked!

Post by UncleChuck »

spalpeen wrote:Some one hacked my web site! :o :o :o :x :x :x :x

I hate that. I hope I can find out who did it. I just wanted everyone to know that I do not put those stupid advertisements in my site and that its a F*&@#^G hack job.

Rant ended...
-=chuck=-
Well. I discovered that it was not my web site, it was Google Chrome that was the problem. They sneaked a extension in on me called facetheme. When I disabled that all of those nasty advertisements went away. AFAIK, I didn't install it. Guess which browser is getting dumped tonight.... Go ahead... Guess....

-=chuck=-
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I've been advising people for years to stay away from Google Chrome, the Google toolbar add-on, the Yahoo toolbar add-on and anything related to AOL. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. Part of my work responsibility is directing our IT department and my experience is that they are an open invitation to trouble and there are far better products available.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

spalpeen wrote:AFAIK, I didn't install it.
Chuck, there are many programs that include Chrome, Yahoo toolbar, and others as part of their installation app. I suppose Google and Yahoo pay for their program to be included. Often, there's a check-off box to opt out of the installation but too often we're used to the screens that pop up during installations and we click through them and miss the opt-out.

If that happens (I don't always catch it myself), it's fairly easy to notice as your browser will look a little different. You can then go into Control Panel->Delete Programs, and delete the program from there.

Jim
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

Ya, there is one thing that you will not find me doing and that's the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results. :D What is interesting about this incident is that I rarely use this computer. I believe that I allowed some application (such as as Adobe PDF viewer or Steam or Firefox) to update its self. I don't remember which one. I positively did not install anything new. That sort of represents a new requirement for me to watch my systems security. In any case, I am removing chrome from all of my computers. Life is too short to f*rt around with this type of falderal.

Cheers!
-=chuck=-
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

spalpeen wrote:Life is too short to f*rt around with this type of falderal.

Cheers!
-=chuck=-
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral, too-ra-loo-ra-li! :D
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

ecohawk wrote:I've been advising people for years to stay away from Google Chrome, the Google toolbar add-on, the Yahoo toolbar add-on and anything related to AOL. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. Part of my work responsibility is directing our IT department and my experience is that they are an open invitation to trouble and there are far better products available.
Never use or install anyone's toolbar.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

JTC111 wrote:
spalpeen wrote:Life is too short to f*rt around with this type of falderal.
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral, too-ra-loo-ra-li! :D
lol! :lol:
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

s1m0n wrote:Never use or install anyone's toolbar.
Yep. In general, someone who wants to give you something for free is not trying to help you. Free "tools" are generally not all that free.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I have seen computers where people have like 8 toolbars in view. When I ask them if they would like me to remove them so that they have more screen space, they say, no, they're OK. Maybe the toolbars give them comfort. I don't know. I know I don't give them comfort.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I've used Chrome for years, and I'm quite happy with it. One of the things I like about it is, it uses less screen height than Internet Explorer, so there's a taller window for whatever I'm viewing. It's also faster, in my experience, and I like that I can type directly into the address bar anything I want to search for, and it will bring up a Google search. And I like the way it offers to fill in a selection of possible URL's, phrases, etc. whenever I start to type into the address bar. The auto-fill feature for online forms is good. Very fast in numerous ways.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Lancelot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lancelot »

I'm a fan of the Opera browser, the originator of most of the features considered 'modern' on browsers who have copied them, namely everybody. :) It's very customisable. My toolbars only take three-eighths of an inch of screen space at the top. There are several compact and not so compact skins, already customised by others, that can be clicked on and automatically installed on my.opera.com, part of Opera's official site. I've been using Opera since 2000. FireFox has finally improved enough with version 8 that it begins to approach Opera's excellence, but it isn't quite there yet. Chrome? yuck. Not customisable enough, takes up too much screen space, and installs itself where IT wants, not where I want it. And it takes up a huge amount of disc space installed. Okay, so I've got a 750 gig on my laptop, and the 140 total megs in two locations of Chrome is small compared to that, but more than necessary installed space is always a negative.

uh, what was the original topic? :D

yours truly,
Opera fanboy Lance
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Toolbars are garbage, they turn decent computer in molasses. They're usually loaded with spy code. They can be a risk to your personal security.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Toolbars are garbage, they turn decent computer in molasses. They're usually loaded with spy code. They can be a risk to your personal security.
Ya, anytime someone tries to install software without me specifically requesting it, it's time to beware. With that facebook widget, I was not even aware that they installed it. It really makes me angry that they are putting advertizements in my content a very dishonest way. The fact that Google allows that to happen with Chrome speaks volumes about their veracity. I am going to stop using gmail, too. I need to do that a little differently, since THEY HAVE A PASSWORD THAT I USE. AND I USE THAT email address TO COMMUNICATE with people. Fortunately I have a multi-tier security strategy or else all of my access would possibly have been compromised. Google: the bait-and-switch kings. :tantrum: :tantrum: :x :swear:

Oh well.... Live and learn. :tomato: