New to the bouzouki

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
CelticHarpie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

New to the bouzouki

Post by CelticHarpie »

First of all, no one ever told me that this traditional Irish music thing would lead to me having a veritable music store in my house (harps, uilleann pipes, whistles, flutes, guitars and now, apparently a bouzouki).

It started innocently enough: I was rehearsing with my band (where I play harp, sing, and play guitar) and we all thought that what we really needed was a bouzouki. So I did some research and found that while I wanted to get a Trinity College, I just wasn't in the financial place for that at the moment (even at it being a relatively inexpensive instrument at under $500).

I found a listing for a used Celtic Star Rover (the Dragonfly model in black), and got it for under $200. Now, I'm a seasoned instrument owner (see list above and add a bunch of other non-ITM instruments to the list), and I'm aware that this will not be a world beater. But it will give me a chance to see if I like it, and then move up and on if I do. I was willing to take that chance with the price.

There are no stores near me that sell bouzoukis, but the local guitar shop does have quite a few mandolins. I'm hoping to take it in once I get the instrument and have them help with set up.

I'm still waffling over string set up, though I most likely will play it in GDAD to start. I have small hands and will be accompanying the melody. Those of you that play the bouzouki as a rhythm instrument, what do you recommend? I've heard unison all the way and octaves on the lower two courses. I'll be playing in a fairly sparse setting (just fiddle and bodhran). Thoughts?

Also, any tips in general?
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: New to the bouzouki

Post by Rob Sharer »

Google Eoin O'Neill and listen to him go (Ceili Bandits, etc.). Ditto Alec Finn (try Frankie Gavin and Alec Finn). Lunny's the man, of course, but don't try to emulate that contrapuntal stuff right at first.

And look into ADAD. Or CGCG, capo 2.

Rob
keelhauled

Post by keelhauled »

I play a Fylde archtop and don't bother with any octave strings. Unison all the way.
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

I've got a Celtic Star brand Irish bouzouki too and really enjoy it. My advice on setup would be to go with GDAD. The reason I chose this string setup is that it allows me to play every chord you'll typically encounter in Celtic music with very little hand movement. So it makes for easy rhythm backup AND it's not too different from your standard GDAE setup, so playing melodies takes slightly more work with that one string difference, but it's manageable.

Have your local guitar/mando luthier set it up properly and it will have great action. I'm using D'Addario's Irish bouzouki strings in phosphor bronze. Easy to play and sounds great, you're going to really enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

I'm curious if the bouzouki is easier to play than a guitar? I had a hard time with the guitar, probably cause I have a cheapie, but it seems 4 strings would be easier than 6. ;)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I wonder if the fingernail regimens for harp and fretted strings aren't incompatible. I.e. the need for short nails on the fretting hand. Maybe it's only wire-strung harp that requires nails? I know my long-ish nails for fingerpicking guitar can interfere with other instruments, such as piano and accordion, but you work around it.
cunparis wrote:I'm curious if the bouzouki is easier to play than a guitar? I had a hard time with the guitar, probably cause I have a cheapie, but it seems 4 strings would be easier than 6. ;)
I'm afraid it's not like that. :-) Trad guitar backup often involves what I call a "zone technique", where you're playing across only 3 or 4 strings at a time*. So the approaches to guitar and bouzouki are actually very similar.

* Which is, incidentally, quite different from the "folk chording" on your recent Caitlin Triall whistle + "faux" guitar clip.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

MTGuru wrote:Trad guitar backup often involves what I call a "zone technique", where you're playing across only 3 or 4 strings at a time*. So the approaches to guitar and bouzouki are actually very similar.

* Which is, incidentally, quite different from the "folk chording" on your recent Caitlin Triall whistle + "faux" guitar clip.
Can you elaborate on what is the "zone technique" this is the first I've heard of it. Sounds interesting.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I think the reason you haven't come across the
term is because MTGuru made it up. But it's as
good a name as any. Michael Eskin used to have
a great video demonstrating using the highest
3 or 4 strings for a descending progression, but
I'll be darned if I can find it anymore.
CelticHarpie

Post by CelticHarpie »

MTGuru wrote:I wonder if the fingernail regimens for harp and fretted strings aren't incompatible. I.e. the need for short nails on the fretting hand. Maybe it's only wire-strung harp that requires nails? I know my long-ish nails for fingerpicking guitar can interfere with other instruments, such as piano and accordion, but you work around it.
For nylon strung harps (most folk/lever harps and pedal harps) you play with the pad of your finger. It is only wire strung harps that utilize fingernails. I play nylon strung harps and all of my nails are very short. As a bonus (not really), I now have 2 sets of callouses on my left fingers. One set on the tips for guitar/bouzouki playing, and another set on both right and left hands on the thumbs and index, middle, and ring fingers along the pad of my fingers (on the side closest the thumb). Needless to say, I'm more of a strummer on guitar.

Alas, my days as a hand model are long gone.

In other news, the band I'm in just recorded our first CD. In addition to the harp, I even managed to play 2 songs on the bouzouki.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

The choice between octaves and unisons on the lower courses likely depends on whom you're playing with. In the common zouk + guitar celtic rhythm section, octaves can leave the guitar player in semi-exclusive possession of the lower register with the bouzouki chinging away upstairs and nobody treading on anyone's tail. If you're playing with a mandolin, otoh, you'll want to reverse that, stick to unisons and devote yourself to the fat strings.

If you are the rhythm section and you switch from guitar to zouk, do whatever you like. Octaves might accentuate the difference between instruments, but to tell the truth I'm not a fan of the sound. I think the fat bottom end (SO close to the Queen song) is one of the glories of the bouzouki.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis