OT to the 'white christmas' crowd. - Warning: Downer

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

To everyone who wished for a white christmas, thank you.

Thank you from the disabled, who can now spend the holiday homebound and alone.

Thank you from the snowplow crews who get to spend christmas eve risking their lives in the storm instead of with their families.

Thank you from the travelers whose trips to grandma's house ended in ditches and shelters and emergency rooms.

As for me, I'm wishing for a hurricane or tornado. Don't bother to thank me.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Well, I've been stuck at home alone since the big snow hit yesterday, but they're starting to get things cleared a bit. A person just has to live with the weather, not much you can do about it, "for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."
Reasonable person
Walden
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi,Chuck.If there's one thing we 'Brits. lead the world in, it's talking about the weather(and no,it's not because nothing interesting ever happens here!-Hah! beat you to that one didn't I Zub.?) In England now,the 'olde worlde' white Christmas,so beloved of Christmas card artists,is exactly that,a thing of the past-thanks to global warming.We are lucky to see snow in 'winter' now(i 'm not even sure if we have 'seasons' as such)it just rains,followed by very wet 'springs',which can cause havoc for us gardeners keen to get another year's vegetable crops planted.You can tell when summer comes-the rain is warm. Autumn means wet leaves! Answer;stay indoors and practice whistling.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Also the farmers whose land has been dehydrated due to lack of snow thank you. This spring when the thaw brings little in the way of needed water they'll thank you for the snow that did come.

Those that make their living in snow related activities thank you (ie. snow removal, ski resort, etc.).

Those animals and plants that need a snow cover for insulation thank you.

Those that grow depressed during this season and find the winter white a nice covering to the grey and dreary days of the season thank you.

Chuck, I'm sorry that the snow has adversely effected you and others, but I don't think that it is productive to criticize those that are able to prosper from it and able to enjoy it. Even hurricanes have their function.

Erik
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I don't see how it matters, guys. Really. My wishing for snow doesn't cause the snow, anymore than Chuck's not wishing for snow is causing the drought that's devastating ranches in our area. Walden hit it right on the head. Our lot is not to dictate the weather; we can only try to find beauty in what we're given.

Chuck, I hope you find a way to have a wondrous Christmas, snow or not. Smile. Have a bowl or chowder. If I lived in your town, I'd put the truck in 4WD and go get it for you. :smile:

Tom
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Well, its white in Reno, but off the roads
now, so everyone is happy here.
Lolly
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I suppose that I shouldn't have been so sarcastic, as you've said, Tom, what I was hoping to say in a much nicer way. Sorry, Chuck; I apologize for responding in a sarcastic manner.

I just think that man has an extreemly limited view of the big picture and while there is plenty of suffering to result from the storm, there are many good things to come as well.

Erik

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2002-12-24 19:21 ]</font>
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

The farmer wishes for rain;
the traveller, for fair weather.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Chuck,
It may be as you say, or...

Maybe this snow will be the opportunity to put the SUV or just a couple of willing legs to work with a quick jaunt to the store. Maybe the jaunt is preceeded with the visit to the single mother across the street or the older couple next door, to see if they needed any thing picked up.
Maybe both will be fine.
Maybe both feel better knowing they were not isolated.
Maybe the single mother's 12 year old joins us anyway and picks up some instant chocolat to share when he gets home from his adventure.
Maybe a moments break from shoveling is spent applauding when the snow plow pulls down your street.
Maybe its calling that nephew and suggesting that the traditional Christmas visit be postponed a day so the roads will be clear and hearing his releaved agreement.
Maybe its offering to bring some hot cider to stranded traveler.
Maybe it calling your pastor to see who he's had trouble getting in touch with in your area.

Maybe Christmas is not only about family,
Maybe its about neighbors and community.

I lived in Edinboro, PA for about 12 years with its 100+ inches of snow per year. Snow can be a great way to get to know your neighbors. I found the cold and snow outside an excellent excuse to find something that will warm my heart.

Maybe it just a time to sit back and ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Norma is travelling all night from SoCal, so we're hoping the snow will hold off, but we're not praying for that, but for her safety.
I joke with the Lord about it, but I think He knows I'm only joking (I hope).

Mack
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I'm sorry you're depressed, Chuck. I hope you feel better (if my wish for a white Christmas caused all the bad weather, then of course my wish for you to feel better will make that come true also).
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Kevin, you did catch me on that one. Now, I love places where nothing happens--they're happy places in their way.
For us here, it's been 4th day of continuous drench, like they decided to move Brittany closer to Belgium. :wink:

But, foul or fair, I like weather as it is : a reminder of how small and vain we are on this planet. All we can do is try and adapt ourselves, not vice-versa. And maybe try and not wreck what we didn't build.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2002-12-25 11:20 ]</font>
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Zub.,Joyeaux Noel! Merry Christmas! I was just jesting about beating you to it,-I expected some Pythonesque retort about 'you Eengleesh and your silly weather!!' you get my drift! Hey,being moved closer to Belgium isn't such a bad thing-their beers are truly superb!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Believe it or not, I'd gladly give all Belgian abbeys (well, maybe not Chimay's Trappe) for a pint of true Cornish red ale and some smoked hallibut.... (sigh)

PS: I'm not searching for the Holy Grail anymore. I'm searching for Alka-Seltzer, and the toothpaste irritated my skin when shaving, and there's this big yellow machine thing hovering over my house. Wish it'd stop humming at least : can't hear what my hair is trying to tell me. Image

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2002-12-26 05:06 ]</font>
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

It's kind of silly to get mad at *people* because of the *weather*, seeing as none of us have any control over it (and liking something or wishing for something doesn't make it happen, so that argument is useless).