FINGERING

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
john

Post by john »

I posted a while ago when i was thinking of selling a flute - i'm having another go at playing it and a have a question about fingering - is it important to lift up all the fingers that are not employed in playing a note? I've noticed I have a tendency to cover some holes with my right hand (usually the f# hole)when I'm playing notes like 'a' and 'b'. I'd imagine it's good technique not to do this but I was interested to know what others think.

In uilleann piping we usually keep the maximum number of fingers down only lifting the one or two fingers necessary to sound the note.
fluter_d
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fluter_d »

Hi!

Generally speaking, the actual difference in pitch when 'extra' fingers are left on open holes varies from flute to flute. So on your flute, there may not be an immediately noticeable flattening of the note. However, some flutes will react much more. Ultimately, the flute's internal tuning will have been designed with standard flute fingering (i.e. all open holes below the note being played - so B is XOOOOO, G is XXXOOO...), so any fingers added to this will make some difference. (Pitch may also be ok in one octave, but not in the other).
I also find that playing faster tends to be easier when you don't have to worry about getting that extra finger out of the way...
Having said that, IF you're happy that your flute is in tune, and you're most comfortable with some additional fingers on the open holes, then that's ok - it's more of a 'bad habit' than a punishable offence, AS LONG AS YOU'RE IN TUNE!!!

[Rants quietly to self about out-of-tune fluters... :wink:]

Good luck!
Deirdre
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

John, you probably know all this, but . . .

Pipes use what's called "closed" fingering. That's the main technique, meaning you lift a minimum of fingers to get the notes. Off the knee, you can of course lift more fingers, but on the knee you usually keep them down.

Flutes use a different system, and most instruments aren't in tune if you leave the lower-hand fingers down while you lift the fingers on the upper hand. Doing that is certainly acceptable if you need to do it to accomplish fast gracing, but for melody notes it will usually result in bad tuning.

It's probably best to get used to lifting fingers on the flute. Not too far, mind you, but clear of the holes.

Stuart
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I'll second Deirdre's and Stuart's responses (with some minor quibbles), while adding that it's standard practice among many flute players to leave some fingers down for rolls. I do most of my rolls "two-handed," which is a fairly common technique among traditional flute players in Ireland.

For example, a long roll on E would look like this:

xxx xxo
xoo xxo
xxx xxo
xxx xxx
xxx xxo

and a long roll on F-sharp would look like this:

xxx xoo
xoo xoo
xxx xoo
xxx xxo (or xxx xxx)
xxx xoo

Once you get the hang of it, it's very efficient. I like cutting most of my rolls with the A or the B, as it gives them a crisper and more bubbly sound. This type of roll is easier if you leave your right-hand fingers down; there's some economy of motion and the flattening of the B cut isn't at all noticeable when played at jig or reel tempos.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2002-12-24 09:32 ]</font>
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Well, YEAH, Brad, of course you leave fingers down for GRACING! :wink:

You drew nice ASCII pictures of the fingerings, though.

Stuart