Beginner wooden flutes in the UK

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
technowhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Beginner wooden flutes in the UK

Post by technowhistle »

I am looking to buy a wooden flute in the UK.

Thinking Fred Rose... are these good?

I only play whistles up to now and don't know where to start.

Help please!
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Beginner wooden flutes in the UK

Post by hans »

I don't know about Fred Rose's flutes.
I got a lovely keyed flute made by Dominic Allan.
His workmanship and his customer service are superb.
He offers wooden student flutes for £165 plus postage, and an option to trade it in later if you want one of his regular flutes, keyed or keyless. See here:
http://www.djallan.co.uk/page3.htm
He lives in Somerset.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Fred Rose's flutes aren't talked about too much on this forum, but they've always received good reviews. That said, I've not played one.

Eric
hydromel89
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hydromel89 »

Phil Bleazey makes nice wooden flutes.

http://www.bleazey.co.uk/flutepage.html

Cheers,

Pascal.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Martin Doyle makes what is widely thought to be one of the best flutes.
Yes, I've played some of them. Easy playing and holding, and beautiful. Among
the best flutes for ITM.
If you are seriously interested you
will probably treasure the flute for the rest of your life. If you decide
to part with it, you can sell it easily.

A lot of new folks waste money on cheaper flutes which they later replace. If you have the bread,
a good flute will serve you well and ultimately cost you less.
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

A lot of new folks waste money on cheaper flutes which they later replace. If you have the bread, a good flute will serve you well and ultimately cost you less.
I can't imagine! :lol:

The Dominic Allan ones sound fantastic - he takes the student flutes back for part exchange for a advanced one if you stick with it!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Check this out......FWIW

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83472
dwilbur3

Post by dwilbur3 »

jim stone wrote:Martin Doyle makes what is widely thought to be one of the best flutes.
Yes, I've played some of them. Easy playing and holding, and beautiful. Among
the best flutes for ITM.
If you are seriously interested you
will probably treasure the flute for the rest of your life. If you decide
to part with it, you can sell it easily.

A lot of new folks waste money on cheaper flutes which they later replace. If you have the bread,
a good flute will serve you well and ultimately cost you less.
:)

I'm sure Mr. Doyle makes some excellent flutes. But the OP was asking about a 200 pound flute. If he/she were a professional, this would be an excellent investment. But he/she appears to be a whistle player switching to flute. Let's go with the low end. :thumbsup:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I see nothing about 200 pounds in the post. Further, my whole point is that the Doyle is an excellent investment
for a beginner switching from whistle to flute. I gave my reasons in earlier posts in this thread. By the
way, most of M. Doyle's flutes are not keyed, and are often favored by teachers of beginners.
Nor are they terribly expensive.

There is something to be said for starting on something that plays well and easily, something you
can succeed on, something you won't replace, something that, if things don't work out, you can
sell probably for more than you spent for it. IF you have the money to buy it, you don't lose
that money. That's a good place to start if you can.
dwilbur3

Post by dwilbur3 »

jim stone wrote:I see nothing about 200 pounds in the post. Further, my whole point is that the Doyle is an excellent investment
for a beginner switching from whistle to flute. I gave my reasons in earlier posts in this thread. By the
way, most of M. Doyle's flutes are not keyed, and are often favored by teachers of beginners.
Nor are they terribly expensive.

There is something to be said for starting on something that plays well and easily, something you
can succeed on, something you won't replace, something that, if things don't work out, you can
sell probably for more than you spent for it. IF you have the money to buy it, you don't lose
that money. That's a good place to start if you can.
I feel I've caused offense where none was intended. The OP was asking about Fred Rose flutes which start at 200 pounds. The flute you recommended was more at the 500-600 pound range. It seemed to me this was a bit beyond what he was asking. I can not argue in anyway that the flute you recommended was a good buy for the dedicated flute player, but for someone switching from whistle to flute it seemed a bit much. 200-300 pounds is a lot of money.
david_h

Post by david_h »

If buying mail order considering one from Ireland would open up more options and still be easy for shipping, tax and language purposes. You may find someone nearby who has, for example, an M & E you could try.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Dwilbur3, I don't think you did anything to offend. I also see Jim's point. The original posted did not indicate how much he was willing to spend, but the flute in question is about $325 USD. Martin Doyle's current price is $845 according to this morning's exchange rate, so it is a significantly more expensive flute depending on your financial situation...especially in light of the world's current economic climate.
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Woah, chill people!

Thanks for the advice though!

I am a slow learner and quite poor at the moment so wanted a cheaper student type model. I hope this clears things up!
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

technowhistle wrote:Woah, chill people!

Thanks for the advice though!

I am a slow learner and quite poor at the moment so wanted a cheaper student type model. I hope this clears things up!
There's nothing to chill about. I'm not offended.
The advice I gave is pretty common from experienced people to slow learners who are new to flute,
FWIW. There's much to be said for starting on the best instrument you can afford--it maximizes your
chances of success, you learn faster, and saves (even makes) you money--IF you have the bread in the first place.
The Doyle is recommended for newbies--I hope by now I've communicated why--but is also played by pros.
If you want a 'cheaper student model,' that's fine with me.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi technowhistle

jemtheflute is relatively near you, he might have a restored antique flute around your price range - you will likely get more bang for your buck and jem will not sell you a crap flute.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps