Bad and good whistle players, not OT by much.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Jessie's post kinda got to me. After getting to spend a couple of days hanging around with my Whistle God and darlin' friend, Mick Woodruff, in Montana for a couple of days, I came to the conclusion that not all of us are ever gonna be half as good as Mick is. Mick is a honey, always encouraging and kind without fail. I came to the conclusion, after Mick said something about how it was a wonder I could play at all with this tempermental asthma, that I came to the conclusion that I am perfectly happy to be one of ordinary those "utility players." Don't have to be a great one, don't even have to be mediocre all the time. I tend not to pay attention to ornamentation, and I am incapable of patting my foot and playing at the same time, and have this bad habit of trying to get away from metronomes. For me, the criteria for judging my own playing is only this "Do I enjoy myself?" Yeah, I love whistling so much, then I must be great! Happy holidays! Like Lee says "Enjoy your music." That's all what it's about!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-12-22 16:37 ]</font>
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

My bit 01H: Sport is good
My bit 02H : Competition is evil.

Whenever I'm feeling pooped, pedaling uphill and pretty slow at that, I keep thinking : "No big deal, they're younger, they don't smoke, they make a living out of it".
Then the best : "I enjoy it, it's fun, that is what counts."
And then the worst : "I do it fueling on clear water, no sugar, no medicine and no syringe added!" :lol:
________
Zub's ethnic proverbs wholesale
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Anna, not all of us can write poetry that touches a soul. Though some of us indulge in occasional doggerel and derive incredible pleasure from the occasional well worded phrase that we write.

Not many of us can take a piece of wood or metal and make art, but we can doodle and take pride in a meal well cooked.

Not many of us can take an idea that touches people around the world and make a reality of it...but some of us aspire to do the random acts of kindness.

Be danged if I know what I'm 'the best' at. It sure isn't making music! But I'm having a joyous time trying to find out...twiddling on the whistle, or writing an occasional story, or making a hearty chicken stew.

Some people are artists...some are activists or musicians or logicians or best friends. I guess I too have to be happy doing what I do. I guess I'm a real fine generalist!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Right on, Anna!
-I made myself miserable for a few years (but not anymore)
trying to do what family expectation and education had equipped me for. -What a relief and what a joy it is to let one's own strengths hold forth! -Joy of the doing is
one of the great rewards of life, and bless you for saying so.

-Besides, people watching a musician play get a much bigger kick out of it if they see the performer having a good time.
-OTOH,
watching someone just going through the motions carries little beyond technical amazement. I would bet nearly all performances remembered lovingly involve musicians' fully involved in the performance, and likely having a fine time
as well.

Brian O.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-12-22 18:57 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-12-22 19:03 ]</font>
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

It's like my most favorite quote, courtesy of Bill Ochs:

"At the end of the day, it's the music that matters most."
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Anna, how did my post kinda get to you?
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Hiya, Jessie, it wasn't a bad getting to me thing at all, but we all tend to judge ourselves badly sometimes, and you are definitely one of those people who shouldn't! Now, did I stick my entire leg in my mouth? Snerk! I mean look at me, hiding behinf Mick and Karen and Psycho Dawg!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-12-22 19:54 ]</font>
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I find that I play for the fellowship. I'm a pretty good ensemble player and can carry the melodic line if someone's getting lost or fumble-fingered. But, like in dancing, I enjoy the interaction more than the action. I like playing something that's <i>not</i> the melody when someone else is already doing a fine job.

Solo playing seems awfully lonely...

M

[edited for typographical lapse]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mvhplank on 2002-12-22 20:59 ]</font>
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

On 2002-12-22 17:33, tyghress wrote:
Anna, not all of us can write poetry that touches a soul. Though some of us indulge in occasional doggerel and derive incredible pleasure from the occasional well worded phrase that we write.

Not many of us can take a piece of wood or metal and make art, but we can doodle and take pride in a meal well cooked.

Not many of us can take an idea that touches people around the world and make a reality of it...but some of us aspire to do the random acts of kindness.

Be danged if I know what I'm 'the best' at. It sure isn't making music! But I'm having a joyous time trying to find out...twiddling on the whistle, or writing an occasional story, or making a hearty chicken stew.

Some people are artists...some are activists or musicians or logicians or best friends. I guess I too have to be happy doing what I do. I guess I'm a real fine generalist!
Amen to that Tyg.
We each have a mixture of gifts. We should be content with our gifts yet, never give up in learning new things. And if we find we suck at it, oh well at least we enjoyed trying.

I get by with what I do on whistle. I am no pro-player, yet, I enjoy what I do with it. Most of the general public here does not even know what a whistle is. They have called it a flute, they have called it a recorder. Yet, they were touched by what I did.

That's what the music is all about. Giving a bit of yourself to others through music.

Did that make sense? Expressing myself with words is not my greatest gift... :smile:

Laura
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The question is whether your gifts make you happy. I read that lottery winners, after the initial high of winning, settle down to their normal level of happiness. We have a basic set point that we return to when stresses aren't disturbing it.

I've been figuring I'll be happier when I play better. I've been furiously working at it and finding myself happy for the effort. So, the lottery lesson taught me that my real happiness is in the process, not the result. (I'll be just as happy as I progress, no doubt.) And none of this is to say I'd turn my nose up at a windfall of money. No way. (I probably should buy a lottery ticket one day.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Yeah, I agree 100% with Tony, the thrill is to try to get better, weither on whistle or anything else in life. It's the same about chasing dreams. Great pleasure comes with the understanding that you achieved something great, but the joy is short, and we need to move forward again if we want to reach this great moment of hapiness again. What's great about this is that no drugs are needed, only hard work and some passion.
WistleEnvy

Post by WistleEnvy »

Joy is ALWAYS in the journey. The destination is only a sign post. If you stop when you reach any destination you will soon find your self discontented. It's not until resume the journey that fulfillment returns. Always have contentment in where you are (musically or otherwise) but never stop striving to be more.

I'm not who I want to be
I'm not who I should be.
But, Thank God, I'm not who I used to be.

Best wishes,
Colin
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Hmmmm....

I have heard professional players that "sucked"...but lots of other people obviously like them. Likewise, most books in the "top ten" I can't stand. So...I play for fun and my freinds like it, and strangers like it. I don't read music, nor do I play "specific songs." This does not bother me in the least..however, I have played the Native American flute for about 4 years, and the "philosophy" of playing NA music is diffrent. Playing spontaneous songs is perfectly acceptable. Yeah, I have heard NA flute players that turn me green with envoy, however in my small world I can still quite a chattering room. And, not all "great" NA flute players turn me green with envory, some just turn me green. So, music like most arts is in the eye, ear, etc. of the beholder. :wink:
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Anna, you're absolutely right.

At the end of the day, I think it just boils down the fact that no matter how good you are at something, there's always someone better.

For example, everybody tells me what great artistic talent I have, but it still didn't get me into the art school I wanted to get into. I have talent, but so did the other 183 people who tried, you know? (they only let in like 70 or 80 btw)

But I enjoy drawing and painting, and even if I'm never considered a "real" artist (whatever the hell that is) or can make a living off it, I'll still do it because I like it (and besides, it's always a bit of fun to tell the pretentious types to piss off :wink:)

You can't please everybody all of the time and if you try to, you won't please anybody, not even yourself.....
madguy

Post by madguy »

Anna has finally justified my journey with the tin whistle... as long as I'm happy and sastisfied with what I'm doing, that's all that matters in the end.

~Larry