About adding keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Herb
antispam: No

About adding keys

Post by Herb »

Here's a question I've been wondering about: I'm aware that some makers who use post mounted keys are willing to add keys to their keyless flutes (or add more keys to a keyed flute if desired by the owner.) Do any makers that use block mounted keys exclusively ever add keys to their flutes? My thought is that with modern adhesives and the precision with which many makers/restorers can restore broken flute parts, it should not be so difficult or risky to add a block as it once was. Certainly it is not unusual to replace at least a portion of a broken key mounting or guide block on an antique. Thoughts?
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: About adding keys

Post by plunk111 »

I've seen John Gallagher do this, so I assume others can as well...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

i had j.Gallagher add keys.....he said he could add blocks or pillars mounted on a plat (like some french flutes) ....i chose a pillars.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Eilam:

I played your flute, dude - nice! That's the one you had me checking on last summer, right?

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

yes, it's a great flute.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Eilam, which flute is that?
David
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

For the OP

For block mount, I believe at least one maker will take the old body as a trade in for a block mounted body on his keyless flute, and I have seen blocks left in place so that latter they can have a slot and key added, but I wonder if adding a block (other than for restorative purposes) would be cost effective. I also wonder if there are additional issues with adding keys to a flute that may have been optimized to play without them.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

For a repair of a damaged block, I would certainly consider gluing in a new block. To convert a keyless flute to a block-mounted keyed flute, my preference is to replace the keyless body sections with new block-mounted keyed ones. The keyless sections can be combined with a new head joint to make a "semi-used" flute. It could make sense to add a block if someone wanted one additional key on an already keyed flute that they were fond of. This would be difficult for an E flat key because you'd be working over the thin tenon section of the foot joint. I'd also be concerned about the long-term performance of the adhesive - the maker should really be thinking in terms of a life time of centuries for the instrument.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com