Learning the Transverse Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tje
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Learning the Transverse Flute

Post by tje »

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well this evening! It's a rainy day here in Florida. A perfect atmosphere for flute playing :)

I've recently become a bit of a woodwind maniac. In the past few months I've been playing recorders, tin whistles and flutes. I've been having such a ball exploring all these different instruments and playing with their beautiful sounds. Just last week, I acquired a Dixon Student Flute in D and it's been an interesting experience thus far. This is my first time ever playing a transverse, side-blown flute and though I have surely been learning, I'm still in the stage of try to get a good, solid tone out of the thing. I wanted to bring up a few small issues I'm having in hopes that someone can give me a pointer or two.

The first couple days I struggled a lot with getting any sound what so ever out of it, but now I can get a somewhat decent tone out of all the holes, though I still struggle with that last hole (D). I keep wanting to put my ring finger on it, but I keep forgetting there isn't a hole for my ring finger! For some reason that last hole is tough for me to reach with my pinky, and I have pretty long fingers. It seems when I struggle to get my pinky on that hole, the flute will move slightly and then I can't get a good tone out of it anymore because it's not positioned correctly under my lips. I'm wondering what you experienced flute players do with your ring finger and your pinky on your second hand with these simple-system flutes?

Also, I feel like I could make some improvement to my lip embrochure. I experiment with making my lips tighter, but I still feel like I'm using a little too much breath to get a sound out of the thing. I find my self running out of breath quite quickly, at least compared to when I play a fipple instrument. Perhaps I should try to locate a teacher to guide me along at least this stage.

I hope to move onto other flutes in the future. Perhaps a Irish Boehm-system flute or a standard European concert flute. I still have a lot more to learn until I make that decision however!

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
Last edited by tje on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corgicrazed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Learning the Transverse Flute

Post by Corgicrazed »

I actually used an old glass bottle to practice my lip embrochure. Believe it or not it really helps! I also practice with just the head to get different octaves.

One site I would recommend for flutists: http://www.flutetunes.com/

You'll find it to be a regular treasure chest with fingerings,scales,sheet music, and much,much more. :D

And about breath, you might be blowing to hard or you may just need to strengthen your lungs. This comes with playing and exercises.

Good luck with your flute and enjoy! :)
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Hi there,

great to hear of your enthusiasm for all kinds of woodwind - especially recorders and flutes :)

The Dixon student flute is great - I wish I'd stuck with polymer flutes than damage so many wooden flutes for practice. However. If you're struggling with embouchure, it's probably best to stick with one flute, and get the hang of it before moving on to another, no?
The first couple days I struggled a lot with getting any sound what so ever out of it, but now I can get a somewhat decent tone out of all the holes, though I still struggle with that last hole (D). I keep wanting to put my ring finger on it, but I keep forgetting there isn't a hole for my ring finger! For some reason that last hole is tough for me to reach with my pinky, and I have pretty long fingers. It seems when I struggle to get my pinky on that hole, the flute will move slightly and then I can't get a good tone out of it anymore because it's not positioned correctly under my lips anymore. I'm wondering what you experienced flute players do with your ring finger and your pinky on your second hand with these simple-system flutes?
The Boehm flute, requires that the pinky finger is used to hold open a key, in between shifting this key for accidentals, and the bottom C or B note (if available) on a C concert flute. If you are on a Dixon flute, you may have to learn to use your pinky finger to steady the flute. This is the same technique used in longer world bass flutes.
Also, I feel like I could make some improvement to my lip embrochure. I experiment with making my lips tighter, but I still feel like I'm using a little too much breath to get a sound out of the thing. I find my self running out of breath quite quickly, at least compared to when I play a fipple instrument. Perhaps I should try to locate a teacher to guide me along at least this stage.
It's probably best to get a teacher to show you and check your embouchure. You can watch the James Galway 'masterclass' youtube videos on embouchure - these give you some idea of how to reliably find your embouchure. There's only so much you can learn off the internet without being disheartened by trial and error, but if you're determined, go for it!

Yes - your air column is probably inefficient due to the lack of embouchure control, and your breathing probably comes from your pecs, rather than your diaphragm. It's all part of the learning process, but get a tutor (hey! someone was offering on skype on this forum? :wink: )).

There are challenges to moving to a Boehm system flute from an open hole Dixon, but if you're determined, it's really not that hard. Even a decent Trevor James TX10 second hand Boehm in great condition is cheaper by 1/2 than the average Copeland Low D whistle (not bitter here...not bitter at all arrggh!! :boggle: )
lingpupa

Post by lingpupa »

Gosh, I don't think I've heard it called a pinky since I lived in Scotland as a child!
It sounds like you have a misunderstanding. It's your pinky that has no hole to cover. The ring finger is what covers the bottom hole.
On flutes with keys, the little finger can have quite a lot to do - Eb lever, C# lever, Cnat lever - but even if you have some of those keys, they are not used much in Irish music. The pinky just provides a bit of extra support.
I just tried using my little finger instead of my ring finger, and it's not as impossible as I thought it would be - but that is not how the flute is designed.
Good luck!
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

It sounds like you have a misunderstanding. It's your pinky that has no hole to cover. The ring finger is what covers the bottom hole.

Maybe he's trying to reach the (venting) tone holes lol.

Or the ring finger is just very short?

Rapid pinky dexterity is very important for the bottom end :)
tje

Post by tje »

Thanks all for the wise advice! I must say, I checked out James Galway's Masterclass videos on embouchure and the 'frowning embouchure' really helps me. The control I have over my air-stream is improved this way. With practice, I think I might just be able to get a handle on this flute thing.. Though I am still considering finding a local tutor to get a little guidance.

I plan to stick with this flute for awhile, but, trying to use my ring finger on this last hole is even harder and more awkward than using my pinky I'm afraid. I've tried adjusting into different ways of holding it, but my pinky always lands on that last hole easier than my ring finger. Where my ring finger naturally lands, it's nothing but polymer. My pinky practically lands right on top of the last hole, but it takes a little bit of adjusting to get it just right.. I feel like I'm getting more comfortable with it however. I know this Student Flute is a newer model.. Perhaps this flute is slightly different? However, I don't see how it could be different because moving that tone hole lower would likely result in a different note than 'D', correct?

Hmm, perhaps I just have oddly shaped hands! ;) My fingers are rather long, but that should only make it easier I would imagine. I think I'll experiment with how I hold the instrument a little bit more and see if I have any luck.

Again, thank you all for the tips :)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If your fingers are long, your ring finger will (and should) go on the D hole. It may feel awkward
at first but you will get used to it. Quite common experience. If you can possibly see a teacher
it would help you a lot. Also you are drawing conclusions very quickly. It will take you
a few months to catch on. Embouchure becomes consistent in several months and
really comes on line in maybe nine months, then improves forever.
Took me a couple of years to figure out how to hold
the flute. You are going to need patience.
tje

Post by tje »

Thanks Jim, I will indeed search out for a teacher soon.

Heh, I do indeed sometimes get a little ahead of my self when learning new things, but I certainly don't expect to get any of this perfect overnight. Heck, I've been playing the violin for about 6 years now and still feel like I have so much more to work on.. Though I will say, just making a few small adjustments to my embouchure suggested by James Galway and practicing them in the mirror for a little has already made a noticeable improvement in my tone :)
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Good to hear you enjoyed the vids!

Best of luck with finding a teacher you can work with too. If you've already got grade 6 violin, you'll be familiar with reading 5 ledgers above the treble clef and half the work of the music theory is already covered. Even if you just take up a tutor, once a month, to keep a check on your self-learning, in case you do something wrong for months, like suck instead of blow, and never notice lol.

If you watch a few videos of different flute players - get a feel for their posture and positioning, and try and retain a flowing and less angular body posture without contortion.

There are many good methods: the Trevor Wye books; the Rubank Methodology, or countless basic introduction books. None are particularly good at teaching embouchure, which is mostly borne out of 1:1 correction and practice. If you're getting the tone, then tone practice. The breathing exercises should follow so that you develop the air column regularly, just like going to the gym in short regular visits.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

tje wrote:Thanks all for the wise advice! I must say, I checked out James Galway's Masterclass videos on embouchure and the 'frowning embouchure' really helps me. The control I have over my air-stream is improved this way. With practice, I think I might just be able to get a handle on this flute thing.. Though I am still considering finding a local tutor to get a little guidance.

I plan to stick with this flute for awhile, but, trying to use my ring finger on this last hole is even harder and more awkward than using my pinky I'm afraid. I've tried adjusting into different ways of holding it, but my pinky always lands on that last hole easier than my ring finger. Where my ring finger naturally lands, it's nothing but polymer. My pinky practically lands right on top of the last hole, but it takes a little bit of adjusting to get it just right.. I feel like I'm getting more comfortable with it however. I know this Student Flute is a newer model.. Perhaps this flute is slightly different? However, I don't see how it could be different because moving that tone hole lower would likely result in a different note than 'D', correct?

Hmm, perhaps I just have oddly shaped hands! ;) My fingers are rather long, but that should only make it easier I would imagine. I think I'll experiment with how I hold the instrument a little bit more and see if I have any luck.

Again, thank you all for the tips :)
TJ, some people find it more comfortable to use piper's grip on the bottom hand, which makes it even easier to reach the bottom hole. Especially for people with smaller hands, or hand/wrist/arm problems as well. Piper's grip isn't the best for a keyed flute, but some do use it on them too. But on a keyless, it's very easy to use once you get used to it. I only play keyless, and I prefer standard grip on the top hand, piper's on the bottom. You may find otherwise, but you can try it and see how it works for you anyway.

Just try to relax when holding the flute too-death grip will slow you down and it will hurt after a while as well. Have fun!
~~~~
Barry
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Playing the transverse flute right-handed seems so effortless now that I have years of experience in holding the flute in this manner. Yet, if I turn the flute around for left-handed playing, I am right back where I started years ago. It's going to take awhile for the flute to feel comfortable in your hands. Having a teacher in the beginning to guide you in the right directions and correct mistakes is a good idea. Whatever you do, enjoy your time with the flute.