Clarke Woodstock.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jennie951
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Clarke Woodstock.....

Post by Jennie951 »

Hi. Im new here , and new to the tin whistle and I've got a question. At a recent music festival hubby and I got our kids a couple of Clarke woodstock tin whistles, Which I am leaning to play now instead of them. But thats besides the point. I was wondering if these are the same as the Sweetone or Meg. i can't find mention of them anywhere but they look the same.

Thanks,

Jennie :)
Corgicrazed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Clarke Woodstock.....

Post by Corgicrazed »

Welcome to the crazy world of whistling, you are going down a path of obsession that no one can foresee the end to. JK. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, Congrats! You'll find the whistle a very entertaining and rewarding instrument.

I just looked up Clarke Woodstock whistles and they do look similar to the Clarke Sweetone or Meg. I have never heard of these before or played one. Can you maybe post a pic or better yet, a vid? :puppyeyes:

I'm ordering a sweetone very soon, so maybe we can compare the sound?

Anyhow, good luck with your playing and have fun! :party:
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Hi, Jennie and welcome to C&F.
Jennie951 wrote:I was wondering if these are the same as the Sweetone or Meg. i can't find mention of them anywhere but they look the same.
I can't be definitive with an answer to your query. Maybe others here can. What I will say is that the Woodstock whistle is a re-branded Clarke whistle distributed by Woodstock Percussion who offer a variety of musical items geared towards young folk. My assumption was that it was a Sweetone. Pricing on the Woodstock whistle seems to be more in line with a Meg though. The earliest references to the Woodstock whistle I can find are dated to around the same time as the release of the Clarke Meg in early 2002ish. It may depend on when Woodstock sourced them from Clarke. The Meg is the same design as the Sweetone but the Meg is manufactured in Asia. The Sweetone is made in the UK, AFAIK. I have searched the forums here and have found references assuming that the Woodstock is a Sweetone as well as others assuming that it is a Meg. So who knows? Anyway it should be a good whistle to get started on. I am sure if you show some success that the kids will want them back.

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Jennie951

Post by Jennie951 »

Feadoggie wrote:Hi, Jennie and welcome to C&F.

I am sure if you show some success that the kids will want them back.

Feadoggie
That's what I am afraid of I may have to get myself one too. Thinking maybe a Walton or a Feadog in D

Jennie
Jennie951

Post by Jennie951 »

Thanks for the replies. I will try and post a pic tomorrow.

Jennie
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

I've found the Woodstock whistles in two different toy shops around the Finger Lakes region, and in both instances, they were cheaper than Megs, which apparently are less expensive than Sweetones everywhere else but here. It's the same whistle with yet another name - I've held it, I've played it. There was a thread not long ago discussing the Meg and Sweetone whistles. It seems that the Meg is believed to be an Asian-outsourced version of the Sweetone, which accounts for this difference in price. Chances are, the Woodstock is the same whistle as the Meg, without Clarke's name on it.
Playing, not paying.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

AvienMael wrote:I've found the Woodstock whistles in two different toy shops around the Finger Lakes region, and in both instances, they were cheaper than Megs, which apparently are less expensive than Sweetones...
Cheaper than a Meg? They'll be giving them away with packets of cereal next...

Oh and welcome!
Jennie951

Post by Jennie951 »

Thanks for the warm welcomes. The whistles do say Clarke on them. " The Woodstock" by Clarke. Was just wondering if there was any difference between them and the Sweetone or Meg and so far it seems its just the name and possibly where its manufactured. They cost me $8 each. Thanks for all the help.

AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

Jennie951 wrote:Thanks for the warm welcomes. The whistles do say Clarke on them. " The Woodstock" by Clarke. Was just wondering if there was any difference between them and the Sweetone or Meg and so far it seems its just the name and possibly where its manufactured. They cost me $8 each. Thanks for all the help.

Hmmm... The whistles I've seen did not have any reference to Clarke on them, but they definitely have the same mouthpiece. They were simply labeled as, "The Woodstock Whistle." They are also available on eBay right now for $4.95+... it appears that these have the reference to Clarke on them that yours do, as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Woodstock-PENNY-WHI ... 45eac11497
Playing, not paying.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Jennie951 wrote:
Feadoggie wrote:Hi, Jennie and welcome to C&F.

I am sure if you show some success that the kids will want them back.

Feadoggie
That's what I am afraid of I may have to get myself one too. Thinking maybe a Walton or a Feadog in D

Jennie
You'll find the Feadog D to be more challenging than the Clarke Sweetone, and more rewarding.
Jennie951

Post by Jennie951 »

AvienMael wrote: Hmmm... The whistles I've seen did not have any reference to Clarke on them, but they definitely have the same mouthpiece. They were simply labeled as, "The Woodstock Whistle." They are also available on eBay right now for $4.95+... it appears that these have the reference to Clarke on them that yours do, as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Woodstock-PENNY-WHI ... 45eac11497

Those are the ones we have. They play very nicely as far as I can tell. As I am a beginer. I learned to play the recorder back in 2nd or 3rd grade but that was a long time ago and this is slightly different.

Thanks to everyone for you replies. I think I may just get a Feadog for myself soon.So I don't have to keep borrowing the kids whistles.

Jennie
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

I think I may just get a Feadog for myself soon.So I don't have to keep borrowing the kids whistles

It'll be interesting to hear a new-comers opinion on the differences between a Clarke and a Feadog ... also whether the kid(s) "borrow" your Feadog and leave you with the Clarke :boggle:

Jolly good luck in your new hobby :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Jennie951

Post by Jennie951 »

Kypfer wrote:
I think I may just get a Feadog for myself soon.So I don't have to keep borrowing the kids whistles

It'll be interesting to hear a new-comers opinion on the differences between a Clarke and a Feadog ... also whether the kid(s) "borrow" your Feadog and leave you with the Clarke :boggle:

Jolly good luck in your new hobby :)

Lol on the kids taking the Feadog. Once I get a one I will let you know what I think.

Jennie