Ukulele recommendations?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ukulele recommendations?

Post by ketida »

After viewing the Dublin Reel posted here a few days ago, and viewing many dozens more uke-tubes, I'm seriously considering buying one. I've got my eye on a few of the less expensive ones and wondered if anybody here has experience with them. I'm looking for a concert size, under $100. Is it possible to get a good one for that price? Or would I just be buying a toy? Specifically, I'm looking at the Makala MK-C, or the Lanakai LU-21c. Also, I've been given to understand that the quality of strings can make a big difference. Opinions? Advice? TIA!
ketida

Re: Ukulele recommendations?

Post by ketida »

I just came across another $100 uke...Cordoba. It's very pretty and all three are in stock at a big box guitar store not too far away. I think I should go and play them. I've played mandolin for a very long time, so I would like to have a quality instrument, if that can be found at this price.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hi-- Uke is a LOT of fun and you can definitely find very nice ones for under $100. Lanikai and Makala are good, and so is Kala. I don't know about Cordoba.
Head over to http://ukuleleunderground.com/ which is the Chiff and Fipple of the Uke world. Take a look at the forums and you'll find tons of good information for newbies. Folks are very friendly there too. I mean, how grouchy can you be while playing a ukulele? :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ketida

Post by ketida »

Thanks, BP, I will follow that link (although I think I have been there already :lol: )
And the anti-grouchness of ukes is definitely an attraction!
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

I have a Makala tenor and I think it's an excellent choice for a starter uke. It doesn't have the resonance of a solid-bodied instrument, but it sounds good, is well built, and stays in tune well. I replaced the factory strings with Aquilas and it made a noticeable difference as well.

Makala is the low-end of the Kala line. There is a low-end Kala that sells for ~$20-30 more but from what I can tell the only difference is in the appearance.

I also second Paul's advice to check out ukuleleunderground.com - you can ask for help deciding or just read the forums, as many before you have posted looking for similar advice.
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Definitely make your presence known at the Underground. Great resource!

For a concert size under $100, it's a little harder, but not impossible. If you can increase your budget by another $50 or $100 a LOT of great options open up. Remember too that ukuleles, like every other instrument, benefit from a set-up by competent hands. A $100 uke with a good set up plays better than a $200 uke out of the box. Getting good strings is important too. I also like the Aquila brand. A bit more money, but well worth it.

[You know, just writing about a ukulele makes me feel better already! :lol: ]
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Even if you don't buy from them, this site is a great resource for seeing what's out there.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

If you get a concert size, as opposed to a soprano, make sure it's got 14 frets on the neck. I see so many advertized as concert, but they only have 12 on the neck. Aquila strings are well worth it too.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Well, there are 12 and 14 fret concert ukuleles just as there are 17 and 19 fret tenor banjos, but I too recomend a 14 fret instrument. Whatever, get the scale length you want. 'Concert' refers to body size and relative fret spacing. There are even long-scale ukes.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I had a Lanikai tenor uke that was great. I regret ever selling it, but I needed the money at the time to buy a tenor banjo.
Ironically, I'm looking to sell a tenor banjo now (not the same tenor) to fund either a new uke or a 5-string banjo.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Thomaston wrote:I had a Lanikai tenor uke that was great. I regret ever selling it, but I needed the money at the time to buy a tenor banjo.
Ironically, I'm looking to sell a tenor banjo now (not the same tenor) to fund either a new uke or a 5-string banjo.
I may live to regret asking, but could you send me info on that tenor?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!