recorder friendly comments only please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

I tried a search so I might find the answer to my question and remain anonymous here, but I'm not looking for recording equipment!
I know there are some very knowledgeable recorder players here who love the instrument, so please advise me.
I play in a group that normally does all Irish trad, hooray, but now that it is the holidays and we can get gigs to play holiday music, my whistles aren't as useful. I do half hole and cross finger when I can, but there are times when I need a loud clean note that happens to be an accidental that doesn't sound so great coming out of my whistles. Our guitar player tends toward jazzy stuff when we let him choose....I think for next season I need, gasp, a recorder. I think I need an alto. What are some nicely made ones with good volume?? I had a Yamaha tenor once that was too quiet. I am willing to pay extra for wood. I don't want to pay over 300.00 if I can help it. I did think about ordering Colin Goldie's ten hole whistle, but for some reason I think a recorder would be more practical for my purposes....
Lisa

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ysgwd on 2002-12-17 19:31 ]</font>
MandoPaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MandoPaul »

Not sure I want to really admit knowledge of recorders like this... :grin:

Best buy of sound vs price in a soprano or alto is to get the Zen-on recorders that Lee Collins tweaks: http://www.leecollins.com/custom.htm.

Pretty nice sound for sub-$400 recorders and they're plastic, so you don't have the maintenance hassles of nice wood ones.

Lee is also a nice guy to deal with.
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

MandoPaul,
Thanks so much for that link to Lee Collins. Many of my questions are answered because that site is full of information and advice. The improved Zen On sounds like a very good choice especially since I would be playing this instrument only for the odd tune once in a great while.
Lisa
MandoPaul

Post by MandoPaul »

Yup. Lee's site is quite useful.

I also figured that for as much as I played, the $60 soprano sounded as good as anything up to about $300. For that $240, I could get a really nice whistle. :grin:
Tim Hall

Post by Tim Hall »

Another very good choice for a low cost, low maintenance instrument is the Yamaha 302B series. You'll find these many places, including, usually, Ebay, but you can get them easily and quickly ($35) from Boulder Early Music at http://www.bems.com. I have the whole set from sopranino to bass, and they are very satisfactory.

Good luck

Tim Hall
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I have right in front of me an "Ideal" brand alto recorder, wood, in pretty good shape except I can't get it apart right now (and won't force it).

The finish is a bit worn off on the top of the mouthpiece, but not chewed on. The bottom two finger positions are double-drilled (or whatever you call it) for easier half-holing, I suppose.

Anyway, I never play it and was thinking of sending it off to eBay but haven't gotten around to taking pictures.

Make me an honest offer and it's yours. (If you want to check my eBay feedback, I'm "mvhplank" over there, too.)

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Tweaking recorders, uh ?

I have this Aulos Tenor with an F which is undecided about playing true F or F#... I had to tape it for an F.
Now it keeps jumping up to high register on low notes (C to E), or has to be played extremely quiet on bottom end.
Should I flatten the blade (labium) a bit ?

BTW, is Zen-On just another commercial brand for Aulos ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2002-12-18 04:08 ]</font>
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Incredible! The security is zilch on this board!

Now someone takes my own registered (TM) 100% PC natural ethnic pseudonym to ask silly questions on --gasp!-- recorders ???

Couldn't he pick someone else?
I change my password immediately...
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I agree on the revoiced Aulos. My good (expensive) Von Huene was out for repairs for about a month, and the Aulos I got years ago filled in VERY nicely on some difficult solo work. Plastic is a good, safe choice for outdoor playing eg Caroling.
Also in a soprano, check out the cheap, clear plastic ones by Yamaha. I think courtlymusic.com carries them in pink, blue, and green. Very festive, funky looking and actually are very fine recorders for under $10
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Lisa, I've got a big yamaha plastic recorder, an alto, I think. It's in Seattle but I will be too in a few days. I'd be happy to lend it to you to see if it's what you need. email me.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
JohnMulgrew

Post by JohnMulgrew »

I am probably not suppossed to admit this, but I'm actually a recorder player who has become interested in whistles. If you're looking for plastic the best choices are Yamaha and Zen-on. I have both, and prefer the Yamaha (zen-on models can be slightly flat but I do have the older versions). I really like the Yamaha woodgrain soprano(still plastic) which would probably fit a d whitle range better than an alto. The straight plastic sound is very good, actually close to a wood recorder costing 10 times as much. I have really good wood recorders and nothing matches the warmth and rich overtones of (an expensive)wood recorder, but for alot less investment you can come very close. Check out http://www.vonhuene.com or http://www.courtlymusicunlimited.com
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

The Antique Sound Workshop sells tweaked versions of the Yamaha 300 Series plastic recorders. The Yamaha 300 Series is generally considered one of the very best of the plastic recorders. I have a soprano with the imitation "Palisander" woodgrain. The physical appearance is much better than most other plastic recorders. Their website is at http://www.aswltd.com

Rob S
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-The Zen On alto is pretty nice, even before Lee Collins does the cedar windway voicing
for the "Improved" model.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I checked out the web sites mentioned above. I have one question, why do recorders cost so much in comparison to fine, hand made whistles?
Mike
TubeDude

Post by TubeDude »

On 2002-12-18 11:21, burnsbyrne wrote:
I checked out the web sites mentioned above. I have one question, why do recorders cost so much in comparison to fine, hand made whistles?
Mike
That is PRECISELY why we play whistles!

TD22

PS - Susato makes recorders, too. http://www.susato.com/recorders.htm