Eric Rigler

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
joey_schu
antispam: No

Post by joey_schu »

Hey,

Does anyone know what kind of set Eric plays? He used a Childress flat set on Titanic, I believe, but I'm really curious about what he used on Braveheart. Was it the same?

And here's a neat little blip of him doing Cooley's Reel. The sound quality's horrible, but what can ya do? Scroll down and listen to "And You" and he comes in like 30 seconds or so into it. I guess I've never heard that one done that slow, much less on the pipes, but hey, I'm new, what do I know? Anyways, I love it.

Joey

EDIT: Wow, I forgot to post the link. That's it I'm going to bed.

http://www.greenmanmusic.com/2k/album/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: joey_schu on 2002-12-16 00:55 ]</font>
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

Weird.

I'm seeing Brian Walsh AND Rigler listed in differented places as the piper on Titanic. Walsh used the Childress set.

BUT

http://www.hornershrine.com/scores/Tita ... _info.html (and other places) lists Rigler as the man.

At any rate, any clue what Rigler plays?

Joey
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

The way I heard the story, Walsh was the musician in the movie and Rigler performed on the soundtrack
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

Pardon me if I extend this thread a little, which may ultimately get to the main question here concerning Erics' pipes... has anyone seen the PBS special on Aselin Debison, the 12 year old singer from Nova Scotia with the most incredible voice? Well, Eric Rigler can be seen playing those above-mentioned pipes throughout much of the performance.

PS. I think Eric played small pipes and Scottish pipes as well on Braveheart(?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: elbogo on 2002-12-16 12:27 ]</font>
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

According to D'Arcy's uilleann pipes obsession page, Eric plays or played an Alain Froment D set. Alain's shop is in Kenmare, co. kerry.

How are his sets rated? Depends who you ask.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Not sure about the Walsh/Rigler question, but one related to elbogo's (excuse the digression), I'm trying to fugure who I keep seeing playing the uilleann pipes, on the PBS money drive special, playing with the Corrs...would this be Eoin Duigan?

The Corrs come in to back up Josh Groban on one number.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lorenzo on 2002-12-16 12:40 ]</font>
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Brian Walsh played a Johnny Bourke D set with a Bruce Childress D chanter and appeared on screen in the movie "Titanic". Brian's playing was not featured on the soundtrack DC but I think it was featured on the Vol. 2 CD which featuered the band Gaelic Storm, the band he used to be in.

Yep, Eric plays a stupendiously in-tune set of D Alain Froment pipes. He is a renound GHB player so it's very likely he played them on Braveheart. However I don't remember *hearing* GHB's in Braveheart although I do remember seeing them and hearing uilleann pipes... something the GHB community were a bit miffed at from what I remember.

Patrick.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

The only part of the film where highland pipes are heard played is one tiny bit of a battle scene. Piper starts playing a version of Miss McCleods Reel: quickly shot by arrows: groaning dying cow noises: no more highland pipes. :razz:
Marc
jordan

Post by jordan »

...heh..heh, heh...
jordan

Post by jordan »

...heh..heh, heh...
Davey

Post by Davey »

...isn't there a scene...a burial scene for his fathers or some such where the up's are played and they show an highland player?
My memory may be befuddled with other movies over the years where they've done this...drives me nuts!
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

They show one, but then use uilleann pipes for the tune. One related question though:
Sometimes when he hits a low D, it has a real "nyah" double tone sound. I don't really care for it when my chanter does it. Am I wrong in trying to keep that under control or is this something we should strive for to add colour to our tone?
Marc
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Are you referring to the "hard" bottom D, which has a very strong overtone (i believe its a dominant)?
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

In my opinion the hard D is the only D uilleann pipers should be playing. Fair enough if you miss it and end up playing a soft D every now and again but the hard D is the true note to me. As far as I can tellt he soft D was a product of the eighties.

Patrick.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

I guess I just like the soft D better. Hard D doesn't seem so harsh in other pipers recordings: Chieftains, Sean Nua, Planxty or any of the lovely recordings on clips and snips. Very nice stuff!
Marc