Sweetheart Keyless flute D - Feddback needed.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Chipopo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Sweetheart Keyless flute D - Feddback needed.

Post by Chipopo »

Hi.
I'm considering to purchase Sweetheart Keyless flute D and I'd be happy to hear feedbacks of people familiar with this flute.
Thanks!
dunnp

Re: Sweetheart Keyless flute D - Feddback needed.

Post by dunnp »

I really like Sweet flutes though as a beginner I did not. I found them hard to play but that was because I had not done the work to produce good tone {this was many years ago hs newer models are a bit easier to play I think}. One of my best flutes is a Keyless Sweet in Eflat that can be heard in my signature and linked from Ralph's webpage. I like his newer model as well with smaller holes. One of his old Boosey models he used to keep in his shop was one of the best flutes I've played.
There is one for sale on Doc Jones site that is an old model with one key for a reduced price. If its the one Ralph was selling as part of his clearance sale which I suspect it is. I played it and thought it was really nice. You may wish to call Ralph and see if he has anything for sale that is old stock I got some great deals from him though that was a good year ago.
I have some very expensive flutes and could be very happy owning just a D sweet that was as good as my Eflat.
Also keep your eye out for a used one as they sell a bit below what they are new on the used market.
All that said have you thought about Casey's folk flute and also search here your find loads of Sweet threads.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I have an outstanding Sweetheart F flute as well as a great high D whistle.

I have owned and tried a few Sweetheart D flutes, but never got very attached to any of them. I know there are some very good ones out there, though. Best advice is always to try before you buy.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Very good flutes for the price, and sometimes just extraordinary. I'm partial to the cherry wood flutes.
Have one in C that has a lovely rudally sound.
Chipopo

Post by Chipopo »

Appreciate your answers guys. What are the drawbacks of Sweetheart in your opinion?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chipopo wrote:Appreciate your answers guys. What are the drawbacks of Sweetheart in your opinion?
I only have what I hear from others; those issues seem to be mainly cosmetic. Sweetheart flutes have been described as being a little on the rough side finish-wise, but only if you look closely. I don't know whether that's true of his finer, keyed blackwood instruments as well; I've never held one of those in my hand. Beyond that, the one keyless one I played sounded pretty good to me (I don't recall anything specific about the flute's appearance), and a professional fluter I know spoke highly of Sweet's flutes for playability and tone.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Chipopo

Post by Chipopo »

Thanks Nanohedron.
Can anybody tell where does Sweetheart stand comparing to Casey Burns Folk Flute?
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

My first flute was a Sweetheart flute. I didn't like it at all. I got a Folk flute afterward and loved it. In fact, I still play it. I found hitting the bottom D almost impossible with the Sweetheart. The Burns flute was very easy, and it had a richer, fuller sound.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Chipopo wrote:Thanks Nanohedron.
Can anybody tell where does Sweetheart stand comparing to Casey Burns Folk Flute?
They're really entirely different types of flutes. They're both all-wood. There the similarity ends. Sweethearts have thin heads, while Casey's flute has a thicker head than most flutes I've played. This means (at least for me personally, and I think most people find this to be the case) that the FF is much easier to play for a beginner. It also means the Sweetheart is lighter -- I always found mine to be a good flute to play when I was really tired. The Sweet also has somewhat larger holes. I found it to be more difficult to play than the Burns (I'm a small-holed flute guy), but easier to get an Irish-style sound from.

I wouldn't ever call either of these flutes better than the other, they're just different.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

i had a 4 key rosewood sweetheart that was really great, and his newer line of keyless seem really nice.
Chipopo

Post by Chipopo »

Thanks, that was helpful. I'm going for Sweetheart. Since I'm a left handed player I need a custom cut, Ralph said it would take between 6-8 weeks. This includes two weeks drying, two coats, etc, etc. They make them from scratch and inspect them.

He said they concluded that maple is easier to control and get the best sound out of so now he is making only maple. According to Ralph, different types of wood do not affect the tone. So why do people choose different woods like blackwood, rosewood, etc? He says it's not sound, it's fashion and he could make any of his woods sound the same. However, people regard other woods as 'common' and want a more 'prestigious' wood but whether it sounds good or not is up to the maker. Different woods they offered like maple, cherry, walnut, blackwood were merely for beauty, i.e. different hues of wood.

Artificial material flutes: he says they tried them for years and many of these cracked so they stopped making them.
The wooden flutes he has made since 1974 only a tiny portion have cracked, but it's rare and if this does happen, they replace or repair.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Chipopo wrote:He said they concluded that maple is easier to control and get the best sound out of so now he is making only maple. According to Ralph, different types of wood do not affect the tone.
age old can of worms, eh.

Ralph sez maple gets the best sound & the type of wood doesn't matter to the tone.

Perhaps it is enough that the player perceives a difference even if the listener does not.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I am going to strongly disagree with him on different types of wood do not affect the tone. They sure do. Some woods are porous, while others have a very smooth, hard grain. Makers don't use blackwood for beauty, they use it because of its great acoustic tone ability. I have played flutes and whistles by the same maker with different woods, and the woods made an extreme difference.

Common woods, such as Mopane and Blackwood may not have a huge difference because they are very much alike grain and acoustic wise. But other woods will yield a different sound, considering how dense, hard, porous, etc... the wood is.

Plus, he said wood doesn't matter, yet maple is the best for tone? Did you misunderstand him?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Anyhow the maple sweet flutes sound very good, IMO.
I definitely think the different woods have different sounds,
especially with the sweethearts--but maple is excellent.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i used to own a walnut sweetheart that could produce a surprisingly good tone. and i tried a C in rosewood that sounded terrible. i had a private conversation with someone that seemed to me to explain why a lot of his flutes in softer woods (walnut, maple, cherry vs. blackwood, rosewood) seem to sound better... that beings said, i got a chance to try a flute he made out of apple and i wasn't so keen on that one either.

i wouldn't mind owning one of his walnut flutes and i've always wanted to try one of his cherry flutes, but i'd stay away from the others (unless i could try them first).

dunnp's Eb flute rocks, and i think he got that one for almost nothing...

good luck. :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/