Woo-hoo!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Woo-hoo!

Post by benhall.1 »

A couple of weeks ago I asked you guys to wish me luck for my Grade V flute exam, taken on my beautiful ol R&R 8-key. (Here's the thread.)

I just got the result. I got 127!!!. That's a very good merit. Just 3 marks short of a distinction!. I honestly thought I'd barely scraped a pass. It must be you guys' good wishes that made the difference. Grade VI here we come!

:D

[Yes, I'm excited. :D ]
MTGuru

Re: Woo-hoo!

Post by MTGuru »

:thumbsup:

Keep it up, and someday you may actually learn to play that thing.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Congrats :thumbsup:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

MTGuru wrote::thumbsup:

Keep it up, and someday you may actually learn to play that thing.
Optimist! (I think? :really: )

Da iawn, Ben bach!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Faaantastic! 127 compliments!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

radcliff wrote:Faaantastic! 127 compliments!
+1

now he's going to be unbearable when I see him Monday evening. :puppyeyes:
(more than usual, that is.... :wink: )
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Yep! :D

Oh, and I've started practising my Grade VI scales already. Did you know that I have to do a two octave scale of B major? Yes, that would be third octave B up the top there ... :o
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations. :party:
benhall.1 wrote:...a very good merit....a distinction...a pass...
So, what are the grading parameters, exactly?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

The numbers have never seemed to make sense to me, but, like any other exam, it's a gradation, a scale (no pun intended), and, once you accept that, it's just about intelligible. Basically, the total available marks is 150. A pass is 100, a merit is 120 and a distinction is 130. There are three pieces, which score a maximum of 30 marks each, scales get 21, sight-reading gets 21 and aural tests get 18 marks.

In addition to requiring 100 marks overall to pass, the following minimum marks are required for each part of the exam:

20 marks for each piece
14 for scales
14 for sight-reading
12 for aural

If you get less than thsoe minima on any one thing - so, say, if you totally and utterly mess up one of the pieces - then you fail, whatever your overall mark may be.

Was that what you were asking?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cool. Congratulations!

Do they record it for review, or are you left with just your memory of how you did. I have had videos taken of my language proficiency tests but I don't know which is better or worse.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:Cool. Congratulations!

Do they record it for review, or are you left with just your memory of how you did. I have had videos taken of my language proficiency tests but I don't know which is better or worse.
No, they don't record it, I'm glad to say.
Sigurthr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sigurthr »

Congratulations!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get started taking the graded exams? I had thought one must be enrolled in a conservatory or music school or registered as a student of some kind to participate.
My Flutes:
James Galway JG3 Spirit Flute
Gemeinhardt 2sp Student Flute w/ Custom Series S Headjoint
19c Antique German Orchestral Flute - Huller/Lyon-Healy/Meyer 13 key - "Frankenflute"
Aulos A440 Grenser Traverso

Baroque, Classical, Trad - I play it all.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Over here, anyone can go if for the exams, although it is easier if you get put in for them by a teacher, who would be registered with the ABRSM (that's the Board for the exams I'm interested in which, for my money, are the best there are for beginners through to advanced amateur level) to enter people for the exams. I got a friend of mine, who is a silver flute player and teacher, to enter me for the exams along with her own students. I've taken two grades so far - Grade III last year after 15 months on flute, and now, a year later, Grade V. I've gone to my friend for two lessons before each of those exams.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

In fact, thinking about it, I would think that exactly the same rules would apply anywhere in the world, since the ABRSM is actively trying to promote its exams as an international standard.
Denny

Post by Denny »

so, have ya moved on from the 12yr old girls?

are ya as good as a 14yr old yet? :tomato:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.