Thanks be...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

This is a busy weekend for my band, as for many, during the holidays. We play two major venues, and the intracies of set-up, sound checks, disc sales, and the like, have a tendency to take their toll on feelings of fellowship. And yet, it can all come down to one moment...

Last evening, we had just begun a rendition of Sally Gardens. The arrangement includes vocals, violin, and duo-whistles...It was early in the concert, and the concert was going well - a mixture of Christmas tunes and British-Isles-based music. My 16 year-old partner and I had stepped away from our hammer dulcimers and she was playing her Parkhurst high D, and I was playing a Hoover A. (The A is truly an unsung hero of whistle-dom. It works beautifully with a D in duet situations...) Our engineer had dialed in the correct effects. When Erin and I play whistles, we face each other across the band at a 45 degree angle, and I was watching her and the audience while we played. One woman had closed her eyes and was swaying with the music. A young man nudged his girl friend, and I could see his head nod in a ‘yes.’ I could see many smiles, and people holding hands...And I stood there thinking, while I was playing, that this is truly what it is about...Musically, who could ask for more than this...

I personally owe much to Mack Hoover and Mike Burke. My partner owes much to Dave Parkhurst. We all owe much to the men and women who create the marvelous instruments we use to bring joy to ourselves and others. I conceptually design custom hammer dulcimers, but lack the wood-working skills necessary to bring those dreams to reality...I work with those who have those skills, and understand what it takes. Thank you to all the whistle-smiths and luthiers that help us create the music that brings about the moments, such as I experienced last evening.

Best to all in this holiday season.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Grannymouse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Grannymouse »

Would love to have heard that Byll. Don't have my atlas handy and wondering where Manheim is in relationship to Allentown???
Have a daughter and family out in that neck of the woods....for future reference.
Sounds like you put everyone in the right mood for the Holidays. : ) Gm
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

That's a lovely story Byll. Those moments are truly magical, aren't they?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, A whistles are really helpful.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Byll,

That's a wonderful story!

And you've inspired me anew to look around for an A whistle.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Grannymouse: Allentown is about an hour and a half from Manheim. I have no map of PA, handy, but that sounds about right. I am a half hour from Harrisburg, 45 minutes from Reading, and actually live right outside of Lancaster.
Best to you, this Holiday season.
Byll
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Byl

Your story:
Real beauty,
hearts connected,
a tune true.

Well met.