Low 'A' with chiff

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bartleby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bartleby »

I have a Susato Low G that sounds like a recorder. I have a Howard Low D that's pretty chiffy. Can anybody recommend a Low A with chiff? Unfortunately my budget is under $100. I was thinking about a Shaw, but from what I've read I think it will sound too much like a flute. Thanks for your help.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Hey Bartleby,

I don't know if there are any left, but Phil Hardy's Chieftain Gold Low A's are great whistles. Last I heard, he had some left and was selling them at 35GBP. Check his website (I don't have the URL offhand)

They speak with incredible authority and have a wonderful nice chiffy traditional whistle sound.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

If you wish a sound with only a slight bit of chiff, ask Mack Hoover to build you an aluminum A.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The Water Weasel A has a bit of chiff, not a whole bunch, but a lot more than a Sindt or Burke. More than one person on this board considers it the jewell of the WW line, and that's saying a lot.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Keeping the Chiff out is the hard part, nearly any custom whistle maker could likely put it in for you by request.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I don't know that the WW A has much chiff, but mine is a terrific whistle, and considering bang for buck, the best low A I've played.

Philo
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

On 2002-12-14 15:09, chas wrote:
The Water Weasel A has a bit of chiff, not a whole bunch.
Actually, if it's anything like My WW G, it has very little chiff. Pure and loud, yes. Chiff? No.

My WW is the only whistle that I regularly *mute* when playing at session.

I'll second the suggestion to get one of the Chieftain Gold A's if Phil has any more of them. I've got one that I absolutely love. Session-quality volume, dead-on tuning, and that wonderful metallic chiff that tells you you're playing a whistle, not a recorder.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

According to the Kerry whistle site,all remaining Chieftain golds have been sent to 'The Whistle shop',so you should contact them if you wish to purchase one.Regards.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

On 2002-12-15 05:41, kevin m. wrote:
According to the Kerry whistle site,all remaining Chieftain golds have been sent to 'The Whistle shop',so you should contact them if you wish to purchase one.Regards.
A few months ago, Lark in the Morning also had a small number of Chieftain Gold whistles still in stock. They're still selling them at list price though, so they're not cheap, but I was able to get a high-D and a low-D from them.
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

bartleby, please check your private messages