Flutist going to Ireland

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mtpaper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Flutist going to Ireland

Post by mtpaper »

My daughter is a high school senior who will be touring Ireland later this month with our local orchestra, on flute; she'll be studying music performance in the fall.

She'd like to start collecting ethnic flutes & whistles.

Any suggestions of not-to-miss shops in Ireland?
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Flutist going to Ireland

Post by MTGuru »

It might help to mention the tour itinerary: Dublin, Galway, Killarney, Kilkenny.

Music shops in Dublin: Waltons, McCullough-Piggott, McNeill's, Charlie Byrne's
Music shop in Galway city: Powell's

If it's souvenirs she's after, every tourist shop carries a selection of D whistles. Feadóg, Clare, Waltons (and Guinness) are Irish-made. Should be under $10 each.

Irish-made timber-style flutes run from around $400 to start up to several thousand, and are usually custom ordered, but you may find some in the shops, new or used. Collecting them is an expensive hobby ...

Ethnic ... Well, in Ireland, American instruments are "ethnic". :wink:

Hope your daughter enjoys her tour!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

This is a really hard question to answer. I don't live in Ireland, but I pop over whenever I can, which tends to be about 3 times a year. I know Dublin pretty well, and other parts even better. Unless some native can put me right, I don't believe that music shops would be the place to look. Most of them won't stock much of a range of either flutes or whistles. There are much better music shops, even for these instruments, elsewhere in the world. However, there are some fine makers dotted around the place. Quite a few are in Ireland but there are also a fair few elsewhere in the world.

But I have a couple of questions:

What constitutes an "ethnic" flute or whistle?
What price range did you have in mind?

[Cross-post, with some similar thoughts, I do believe, though not so well expressed on my part. :) ]
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Custy's in Ennis had a number of "high-end" whistles (that term is used with due caution) in stock as of last Fall.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
mtpaper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mtpaper »

thanks folks - sorry about using wrong terminology; I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Itinerary: Galway, Killarney, Kilkenny and Dublin

She's not looking for souvenirs, but nor is she looking to spend $400+
probably about $100-$200

aside from purchasing, are there any flute/whistle makers where she could go?
Would it be by appointment?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

mtpaper wrote: She's not looking for souvenirs, but nor is she looking to spend $400+
probably about $100-$200
That's a dangerous price in the irish or wooden flute biz. At that level all you are likely to find are unplayable fake irish flutes, typically from Pakistan. They can look OK from a distance or to someone who doesn't already play a wooden flute, but they are not worth a tenth of the price. Avoid at any cost.

You can find 8 keyed wooden flutes from the nineteenth C at that price if they're of the continental* style if you're a) lucky, b) the flute needs a modest repair, or c) it was designed to play to a higher pitch standard than is accounted 'concert pitch' today. This is more likely to occur on ebay than it is in an irish music shop, however. keywords for one of these might be 'french', 'nach meyer' or (outside ireland) 'german'.

*Which is unlike the larger-holed english flutes which have become the Celtic music axe of choice for their greater volume and powerful tone.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

A similar question came up on the whistle forum not long ago:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80369&hilit=ireland
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

mtpaper wrote:She's not looking for souvenirs, but nor is she looking to spend $400+
Actually, I didn't mean "souvenirs" pejoratively. I think musical instruments make great souvenirs, and those $10 whistles are far from toys; some of the best whistle and flute players in the world play them.

As for flutes ... As you're finding out, they're a different story.

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

mtpaper wrote:aside from purchasing, are there any flute/whistle makers where she could go? Would it be by appointment?
Since no one else has stepped in yet ...

Yes, by appointment. These folks are craftsmen, and not necessarily happy to interrupt their work for visitors unless you're serious about purchasing an instrument.

Many of the finest makers of Irish flutes are not located in Ireland. But here are a few who are, from Jem Hammond's Wooden Flute Makers list. And I'm sure there are others.

M&E Cronnolly (Mayo) http://www.irishflutes.co.uk/
Arie De Keyzer (Dublin) http://users.telenet.be/ariedekeyzer/
Hammy Hamilton (Cork) http://www.hamiltonflutes.com/
David O’Brien (Clare) http://www.traditionalirishflutes.com/
Michael Vignoles (Galway) http://www.michaelvignoles.com/flutes.html
Glenn Watson (Galway) http://www.watsonflutes.com/

Honestly, it's not like other parts of the world where you might expect to find inexpensive but playable folk flutes to take home. Pennywhistles and cheap painted bodhráns seem to fill that role. Irish flutes are comparable to fine orchestral instruments (or they are orchestral instruments), and are priced accordingly.

But really, if your daughter has no experience playing Irish music, she's far better off seeking out the music, not the instruments. Visit a few pub sessions, meet the musicians, ask for a "flute demo". Then pick up a pennywhistle and some recordings, and start learning the music before anything else.