Chieftain Gold Low D - Opinion?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Greg Connor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Chieftain Gold Low D - Opinion?

Post by Greg Connor »

Does anyone have an opinion of the Chieftain Gold Low D? I wonder why they were only produced for a short time?
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Chieftain Gold Low D - Opinion?

Post by ecohawk »

I think it's likely the weight. I have an A and you could drive spikes with it but man does it sound nice when it's warmed up.
Which takes a while. :)
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

Yes I agree, it must be the weight, but as you say they sound amazing when warmed up. I have some and would never part with them.
wiz
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I owned one for a time. The low octave was good. What really stood out was the very sweet lovely upper octave.

But yes it was extremely heavy and there's no way I could play it for a couple hours straight like I can Low Ds made of aluminum or plastic.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

I've owned about 4 of them. One I loved, and just sold to be able to buy something else (and yes, I still wish I had it yet), another I liked a lot, and 2 others that I thought were so-so, and didn't buy or got a refund for in short order.

They seemed to have an airy (or diffuse), powerful lower octave, in general. I believe the heavy brass contributed to a less distinct and more mellow tone than the aluminum counterparts. Upper octaves varied, between powerful and hard to access without a lot of effort, but when it comes down to it, much is dependent on the individual whistle, and each player's technique at the time he tries the whistle.

Overall, I would like to see Phil resurrect this whistle and see how it fares now. I believe it would do well in the market now, even with higher production costs. Tunable whistles would be good also. It wouldn't need to be as thick walled either, to produce a unique and desirable tone, so costs could probably be reduced also.

The Chieftain Golds have a place in whistle history, and should be experienced when possible. But I would add, that if available again, I think they would be a welcome offering for a new whistle in the low whistle market, no doubt.

What say, Phil? A new decade is emerging, and could be a good place to put your efforts! Good luck, and best wishes all!
~~~~
Barry
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

Thanks for the comments guys. It looks like I might have a Gold Low D in my future. I own a couple other Chieftain whistles, and like them.

This Brass one with such a short production seemed odd to me. Just as you all said, it's probably the weight of the instrument. That makes very little difference to me, I'm 6'4", and I tend to only play 10 - 15 minutes at a time.
glenndublin

Post by glenndublin »

I was lucky enough to purchase one on this site a few months ago and I love it . I am not the best of players but I love the sound when I try to play!!!
Does anyone have idea how many of these gold low D's were made.
I would agree that there could be a demand for these , were they to be manufactured again it would be great for people that haven't had the opportunity to purchase one.
My whistle is heavy but I love that, it has the feel of a quality instrument to me.
I have to say it would take a lot for me to sell it, in fact I don't think I would ever sell it.

I am a small time whistler but I find myself drawn to this site almost everyday to read peoples inputs.

Thanks

Glenn
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

I've had a low D and a low G, and both were great IMO. The low G actually hangs in my memory as being one of the nicest whistles I've ever had or played, and I do miss it. However, I would also note that I think Barry's description is spot-on. Yet this is true of any whistle make... some are great, some... don't really stand out, a few can be crappy - but I don't recall anyone ever claiming their Chieftain Gold was crappy, so buy with a clear conscience and enjoy it.

The weight... that takes some getting used to. Fortunately, they are rugged enough to take the occassional dropping. :wink:
Playing, not paying.
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

... they also polish up a treat and give you a feeling of something everlasting, sort of thing to hand down the generations...no pun intended...LOL

" crappy " I think NOT, just an great idea that didn't catch on.
wiz
Greg Connor

Post by Greg Connor »

Saturday is the big day! I pick up my new/used Whistle at 10:00 Saturday morning.

I appreciate all your input. Thank You,

Greg
Greg Connor

Post by Greg Connor »

Wow! What a whistle!

The first octave is stable, easy to play with beautiful tone. The second octave is also stable, easy to play and the tone just keeps coming.

I haven't tried to go up to the third octave. We're traveling, and I'm not sure the other hotel guests would appreciate that.

There is something about brass that really creates a nice tone
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey, congrats Greg-sounds like you got a very nice one! Glad to hear it.
Enjoy-and have a blast! Safe travels to you also.
~~~~
Barry
Greg Connor

Post by Greg Connor »

The balcony of our Sante Fe hotel room served as a stage last night as the Chieftain Brass Whistle made it's introduction to the public.

My wife happened to be out for a walk in the neighborhood, and said she could hear it faintly. I noticed a few other people looking my way as well.

That was a lot of fun. I didn't notice any dollar bills or ladies tops getting thrown my way, but it was still good!
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Ah well, Greg, one can dream! They say it's good for you, but just don't let the wife catch you groovin' with the groupies though, even in a dream! :sleep:.... :party: .... :devil: .... :evil: .... :o

Santa Fe is one place or area I'd like to see-have a walk around the quieter edges for me. Just don't try walking around with your Chieftain Gold stuck in your mouth-if you hit a bump, you may loose your two front teeth!

Seriously though, enjoy your trip, and your new whistle-sounds like a nice combo.

Just be careful with the dreamweaver :thumbsup:
~~~~
Barry
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Greg Connor wrote: I wonder why they were only produced for a short time?

I did actually ask Phil Hardy that question directly, and he said it was because of the weight. I owned three of them at one time, loved the sound, but didn't find them to be overly responsive.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com