Irish Flute Tutorial- Fliu'it

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Irish Flute Tutorial- Fliu'it

Post by psychodonald »

A few weeks ago, perhaps as long a month and a half ago, I was reading some posts on the Flute Forum and there was mention of June Mc Cormack's flute tutorial, "Fliu'it". A member, as I recall, mentioned how useful it was for his/her learning of ornamentation. On a lark, I decided to purchase the tutorial and it arrived a couple of weeks ago. I've been working on the book quite a bit and I must say that I've found it to be extremely helpful. :thumbsup: Sadly, I've not been able to find a teacher in my area; however, Ms. Mc Cormack's tutorial is so clearly written and explained, plus the two CD's help a great deal, that I feel that I'm making significant progress. At any rate, I wanted to pass on my good fortune to others who might be interested--it's well worth the purchase price in my opinion. I'm so impressed with her book, that I ordered her second book a couple of days ago.

I've said it before; however, I feel it needs repeating, I have gained quite a bit from this forum and from the persons who contribute. I'm very grateful to those who offer their experience so freely and unselfishly--thanks again folks. Don
tucson_whistler

Re: Irish Flute Tutorial- Fliu'it

Post by tucson_whistler »

psychodonald wrote:I've said it before; however, I feel it needs repeating, I have gained quite a bit from this forum and from the persons who contribute. I'm very grateful to those who offer their experience so freely and unselfishly--thanks again folks. Don
me too ;)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Levente
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Levente »

... and me.

Levente
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

If you are having problems getting one to one tuition this site may help - there is a free lesson with Majella Bartley (nice player) and the subscription seems reasonable

http://oaim.ie/index.php?option=com_con ... eadh-tunes
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

John B. I looked into the OAIM (Online Acadamy of Irish Music) and took the free lesson and found it to be quite good. The internet is an amazing thing, to be able to sit in my stuido and take lessons from Ireland, by a qualified instructor, when ever I desire is truly amazing. :boggle: I decided to sign up for the course (the charge is by the month incidently), it's a fairly new organization, but they seem to have a really nice, organized operation. I like it!!!! The price is certainly right; quite inexpensive as it turns out. In addition, a person can take other instrument lessons, it would appear, with no additonal cost to the student. They offer a wide variety of lessons on a variety of different instruments all in the Irish Tradition. For me, the very last thing I need is another instrument to learn, though it certainly looks interesting. Thanks John, I would have never come across this resource without you having suggested taking a look at it. This sort of exchange kind of supports my point regarding the value of this website/ board and those that participate.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Psycho - glad that link has been useful, I've not signed up for a course but am seriously considering it especially as the other courses are also available.

If you are a beginner I would suggest you trawl through old posts on this forum that deal with embouchure, breathing and tone control, I found a lot of very useful info here which helped alot.

IMHO there are some people on this forum who really know their stuff - unfortunately the only name I can remember is Brad Hurley, I'd say it's worth searching through his posts - but of course there are many others.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on