Is this a record?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
john

Is this a record?

Post by john »

I've just seen a set of Woof narrow-bore concert pipes for sale at NPU's website. The price in sterling works out at over £12,000. I once heard of a Rowsome set going at Irish £10,000, pre-Euro.
Cash the Piper
antispam: No

Re: Is this a record?

Post by Cash the Piper »

No.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Considering that a 1/2 set narrow bore D by Geoff Wooff failed to sell on eBay with an asking price of $8,200, I wouldn't be ready to pay $20,000 for a full set, assuming I had the money. But that's not to say someone else wouldn't.

Also, a few sets have been put up for sale at $20,000. There was a Rowsome full set on uilleannobsession 2 years ago with an asking price of $20,000 and an early O'Briain full set on eBay about 2 or 3 years back asking $20,000.

I heard of someone asking $25,000 for a set but I don't recall who the maker was or whether the set was sold.
PJ
Johnered66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Johnered66 »

a little off topic, but seeing these prices, just curious...does anyone insure thier pipes? or add to the home owners policy to cover lost, stolen or damaged from fire, etc....
Neither weddin' nor wake would be worth a shake
If Denny was first not invited.
For at squeezin' the bag, or emptyin' the keg,
He astonished as well as delighted!
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Insurance depends on whether you use your pipes to earn income or not. If they are entirely personal (you don't ever get paid to pipe), then your household insurance should cover you if the pipes are lost or stolen (you might want to check with your policy as sometimes you have to specifically mention any single object over a certain value).

On the other hand, if you use the pipes to earn money, then the household policy probably won't cover you and you'll need to get a separate policy.

Insuring instruments is relatively common and any shop that sells instruments should be able to put you in touch with a broker or insurance company.
PJ
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

No, not a record price. I think Geoff's anniversary set was the most expensive set ever, 25.000 USD apparently. Sold to a young London piper in 2003. The set has since changed hands.

From NPU - Information bulletin 4:
Geoff Wooff – Silver Anniversary Set
To mark 25 years of pipe-making, Geoff Wooff intends to produce a Silver anniversary set! This instrument will be ready by May/June 2003 and its purchase is open to anyone, either on or not on his extremely long waiting list.
The set will be made in Black Ebony with solid Silver keys and ferrules and Mammoth Ivory mounts. His preference is to produce this ‘one off’ set in the key of B or C, but a different key could be stipulated by the successful applicant.
This is a genuine opportunity for anyone to ‘short circuit’ the current 13 year wait!
Letters of interest to: Geoff Wooff, Miltown Malbay, co. Clare, Ireland.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Steampacket wrote:Sold to a young London piper in 2003. The set has since changed hands.
Sad story. Paid tons of money but still didn´t sound like Liam O`Flynn or Seamus Ennis. :sniffle:
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Sad story. Paid tons of money but still didn´t sound like Liam O`Flynn or Seamus Ennis" Hans-Joerg.

Maybe not, but Tim's a very good piper and flute player indeed in his own right, and from what I understand he was using his D set (Dave Williams) constantly, and the Geoff Wooff set went to another piper who did play flat sets. I took a piping class in 1999 at Willie Week and Tim turned up the first day. We all played a piece so Tom Clarke could see how we were doing. After Tim had played, Tom said he'd be better off in another teacher's class, as he was very talented and advanced in his piping even back then :) . The rest of us were squeaking and wheezing all over the place. Tom Clarke's a very good teacher and piper. :)

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhal ... d_on_pipes

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhal ... d_on_flute
PJ

Post by PJ »

Can someone post a photo or a link to a photo of the Silver Anniversary set?
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Some insurers (i.e., State Farm) will not cover your instrument if you play in bars/pubs.

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

FYI, I believe State Farm in Ontario has no issues with the bars/pub thing. I made a point of asking about performing and they said there was no restriction. Or at least they didn't identify one... So I think I'm good, but not 100%
billh

Post by billh »

£12,000 STG or $20,000 USD is not a superlatively high price anymore, though it is certainly well above average. A select few makers are getting prices in this range for new sets (and deservedly so).

Bill
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

billh wrote:£12,000 STG or $20,000 USD is not a superlatively high price anymore, though it is certainly well above average. A select few makers are getting prices in this range for new sets (and deservedly so).

Bill
Of course you have to make an allowance for the Gucci bag syndrome, where a piper will pay a lot more for a set of pipes because of the name . Alot more that the pipes ,as a musical instrument are actually worth.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Of course you have to make an allowance for the Gucci bag syndrome, where a piper will pay a lot more for a set of pipes because of the name . Alot more that the pipes ,as a musical instrument are actually worth." Rory Bellows.

I think good modern instruments, in this case uilleann pipes, by makers such as Wooff, Williams, Froment, O'Briain, are well worth the money. People pay a lot more for a violin bow or violin. Here someone has paid over a million dollars for a comic!!!! Whatever turns you on I suppose:
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Strang ... 9016?f=rss
Cash the Piper

Post by Cash the Piper »

I think good modern instruments, in this case uilleann pipes, by makers such as Wooff, Williams, Froment, O'Briain, are well worth the money.

You forgot Koehler and Quinn, matey. They're every bit as good as those lads. :really: :really: :really: :really: