One of my Low A flutes, fully keyed

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

One of my Low A flutes, fully keyed

Post by Casey Burns »

Here's a low A flute that I just completed and sent off this morning. Been working on it since December. In blackwood with tuning slide and bands, 8 keys.

Those two bottom keys down at the bottom are a chore, and like any 8 keyed flute its hard to get them to work well. This time I heavily countersunk the tone holes and used leather clarinet pads, epoxied onto a spherical key cup, rather than a conventional key cup. The nice thing about doing it this way is that the spherical surface allows movement of the pad in X, Y and Z directions, allowing one to orient it perfectly, while testing with a feeler gauge. Once set, the pads are soaked in water and then pressed against the holes overnight until they seal. Timing of the two keys is accomplished by a piece of cork cemented to the underside of the upper key touch, and then sanded with 220 while pressing both keys together and testing for sealage.

Still, these low keys wear me out and in the time it took to do this footjoint I could have done a dozen Folk Flutes. Am not sure how much longer I'll do these two bottom keys. But doing these as a 6 or even 7 key flute To get a G#, no problem.

Lot of silver on these big flutes. Silver has been hovering around $36. Yesterday I cashed in some coin silver for cash flow. Paid $7 face for it and sold it for $20 face (face = $1 nominal, example, 10 Mercury Dimes).

Casey
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: One of my Low A flutes, fully keyed

Post by benhall.1 »

Gosh, that looks nice, Casey! Can we have a pic of the two bottom keys themselves (ie the foot joint turned round a bit)?

Also, is that unusual to have the foot joint keys arranged like that? On my old flutes, the "Eb key" (Bb I guess on this flute) is 'tother side, as it were.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

And that's a cutaway on the far side of the embouchure, is it? What does that do to the sound?
david_h

Post by david_h »

Is that foot-key arrangement because of hand position with the offset 'E hole' limiting fourth finger reach ?

Just thinking that normal hands and big flutes must be like small hands and D flutes.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

benhall.1 wrote:And that's a cutaway on the far side of the embouchure, is it? What does that do to the sound?
There's a note on his web site (Under FAQs) that says,

"A number of people have asked about the 3 outer "cuts" seen on pictures of my low flutes. What are these for? What do these do? Are these used on my flutes in D? The answer to the last question is no. I use these cuts on my low flutes to increase the "edge" or buzz to the tone. By design these low flutes are comparatively narrower in bore than my D flutes. Increasing the bore is not practical, thus other features are used to increase the volume and quickness."

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Lovely flute, Casey.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

That key arrangement on the bottom is what makes most sense to me, and is what I used on Grey Larsen's. These flutes are pushing the ergonomic boundaries of what is possible. Its tough to position that 6th hole south enough so that it speaks well, without requiring the 4th and 5th to be monster holes impossible to cover. Then add keys and it becomes increasingly complex. On Grey's we tried 2 or 3 of the lower joints until we had it right, and I suspect I'll be doing the same with this flute per my client's needs. I don't mind - as I can simply remove and reuse that existing keywork.

The notch on the voicing (used to be 3 notches) adds a bunch of resonance to the flute. Its consistent with what is done on modern flutes.

Am seriously contemplating this one being my last of the 8 keyed ones as I don't like doing these bottom keys and they take much more time than what they are worth. I would still do 7 keys, either G or G# on these. I've been doing these 7th keys for Galician players for years, as the music requires it (usually a Major 7th) and would do a minor 7th for Scottish music.

Am away for the next 10 days doing volunteer work (and having fun - am being a paleontologist for the California Academy of Sciences and am out in the field in southern California this time) - so my presence here may be a bit spotty in the next while.

Casey
Denny

Post by Denny »

Well, it's a lovely beast Casey!

Do enjoy southern Cal. :D

I suppose we'll continue to be cold and wet without ya.... :the never found green jealousy emote:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Its absolutely lovely down here. Hi Eilam and Jon! Am in your neighborhood. But we are on a tight schedule doing paleontology for the California Academy of Sciences. Staying in Ventura mostly and up in the hills by day until we are exhausted. So don't expect me - what visiting time we have will be spent in Valencia visiting my daughter Lila, who is a junior at CalArts. Otherwise evenings are a quick meal and a long debriefing, planning for the next day, answering emails,etc. My friend Rich is planning a huge 2 month expedition, a summer internship program at CAS, and uses every available minute. Maybe the next time I come this way, which will actually be rather soon.

Was 75F around sunset, and the wildflowers in the first hills east of Ojai where we were examining roadcuts were intoxicating. Nancy, my wife, is envious (she calls this "her area" as she grew up in Ventura. We used to be down here a lot when her dad was alive. Lived up in the hills up Via Ceilito Rd. up near the end of Victoria Avenue.). I have to make this up to her when I get back - so we might be down sometime in April.

This is a nice break from flute making, especially after finishing that 8 keyed alto. Its great to be down here in the Land of the Lotus Eaters!

Casey
eilam

Post by eilam »

casey, sorry i won't see you this time around....i actually have time and thought to go for a bikeride (up sulfur mountain road to upper ojai, near where you are)......i'm doing finish work on a counter top and it's too windy (the oak trees are loaded with blossom......not good for fresh finish).
love your keywork (been wanting to get one for many years now....don't stop making them!).
e.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

When you do get time to visit SoCal longer do let us know!

It's another beautiful day in Los Angeles!

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert