Google Doodles

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Google Doodles

Post by MTGuru »

<rant>

Is anyone else tired of the cutsey Google Doodles that seem to pop up every other day now?

Today it's some obscure comic book artist. I'm sure he was a fine person. But there are fine people, places and things to celebrate every day of the year. That doesn't mean we need to be force-fed awareness of them on the Google homepage, at Google's whim.

A main reason people like Google is the plain interface. At least they should give us the option of reverting the doodle to the default logo for the duration of the doodle.

</rant>
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Hotblack

Re: Goofle Doodles

Post by Hotblack »

They don't bother me in the slightest. I just ignore them and get on with what I want to do.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Part what hotblack said, and part I kind of like them.
dwest

Re: Google Doodles

Post by dwest »

Doodles don't bug me at all but I've always liked terrestrial arthropods. :o
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

emmline wrote:Part what hotblack said, and part I kind of like them.
Ditto.

There's other things I don't like about Google, mind ... like the streetview stuff and the periodic hardsell phonecalls from people in their advertising department. I was surprised when I first got one of those: it surprised me that Google need to do that at all. Sign of the times, p'r'aps.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I don't really mind them, but I rarely see them. I use the Google Chrome browser, which allows you to search Google directly from the URL box, so I don't go to the main search page.

I admit I'm surprised Google's calling people to do ad sales.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

It's happened about half a dozen times over the last year. They say they're from Google - you don't think maybe they're not, do you, and it's just one of these scam things? (Like advertising 'in support of the police'.) If it is fake, it's been very convincing.
dwest

Post by dwest »

benhall.1 wrote:It's happened about half a dozen times over the last year. They say they're from Google - you don't think maybe they're not, do you, and it's just one of these scam things? (Like advertising 'in support of the police'.) If it is fake, it's been very convincing.
Are you using a Google Voice phone number? Google has mentioned trying to do audio ads on Google Voice.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

No, just an ordinary phone line. And they were sales calls for placing Goodle ads, rather than ads in their own right for placing ads on Google.

Oh, bllimey! I've got meself all confused now!

:-? :shock:
dwest

Post by dwest »

benhall.1 wrote:No, just an ordinary phone line. And they were sales calls for placing Goodle ads, rather than ads in their own right for placing ads on Google.

Oh, bllimey! I've got meself all confused now!

:-? :shock:
I'm confuded too, they were cold calls or had someone expressed an interest in Google ads earlier?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

No. Cold calls.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Dale wrote:I don't really mind them, but I rarely see them. I use the Google Chrome browser, which allows you to search Google directly from the URL box, so I don't go to the main search page.

I admit I'm surprised Google's calling people to do ad sales.
^ What Dale said. Although at work I am compelled to use IE, which scunners me somewhat. And means that I do get to see the doodles. I don't mind them unless they are animated doodles, which they have used in the past, and mean you can't do a search until their animation completes. Ten seconds is a long time if someone else's indulgence is slowing you down.

Google UK didn't show any "obscure comic book artist" yesterday. Who was it? Robert Crumb, I'll be bound. Obscure to YOU, maybe. Not to the true geek. :poke:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MTGuru wrote:Is anyone else tired of the cutsey Google Doodles that seem to pop up every other day now?
Good grief. Who actually goes to google.com these days?
You could always use Lynx. Then you'll have no images. Enjoy.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I like the unusual ways that Google is occasionally drawn. Occasionally, I see a clever piece of brilliance. I bet a part time job making these is more than the annual salary of a social worker.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

And now International Women's Day. A worthy commemoration, of course. Grrrr.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.