Andreas Rogge Chanters

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Zukul

Post by Zukul »

Sorry guys rather not be a member of a forum which allows such unruley members.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zukul on 2002-12-13 15:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zukul on 2002-12-13 15:43 ]</font>
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Have you tried contacting Davy Stephenson at Bagpipeworks? He makes narrow bore D's and can make just the chanter in any wood or configuration you would need.
http://www.bagpipeworks.com/
Zukul

Post by Zukul »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zukul on 2002-12-13 15:41 ]</font>
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I have 2 chanters in D by Andreas and I also know a few of the players he mentions on his website, so you could e-mail me, if you like.

In general terms he's very good, but the longer you play uilleann pipes, the fussier you'll get, and so the small differences between makers can become more important.

Before you buy from anyone, try at least a couple of his instruments, or get other players to play them for you.
[the player and the reed each make a big part of the sound of any chanter....so it's not all in the hardware!!]

Boyd
http://www.strathspeyinmay.com
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Zukul,
If you've gotta have a Rogge, than nothing else will do. You'll have to contend with a longer wait, wire transfers, VAT, and possibly customs duties.

You indicated difficulty finding a pipe maker in the UK who would make just a chanter. Are you still open to suggestion? Davy's your guy in the UK. Call him to see if he has a loaner/demo narrow bore D chanter for you to try out.
If the chanter fits... play it!
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

Hi Zukul,
I have been playing a Rogge full set in concert pitch for 5 years now. All I can say is that it suits me well. As for quality and craftsmanship, I think you cannot go wrong with him. His pipes are worth the money and worth the wait. As has been said before, whether he provides the particular features/sound etc. that you are looking for is another cup of tea. I cannot comment on his narrow bore D chanters, but his flat pitched pipes are well sought after, IMHO deservedly so. You should try to get in contact with other players and try for yourself.

Christian
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uilliam on 2002-12-13 19:08 ]</font>
Tony

Post by Tony »

Liam, I think you are over reacting. Why?
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Hi Zukul,

You might indeed talk to Stephenson, maybe even Peter Hunter (both in the UK)... contact them, and and ask questions. You may be better off getting a wide bore D, as opposed to a narrow D for now, unless you've heard someone playing one, and you like it.

A flat C would be better, if you're looking for something other than a concert set... and others will tell you why.
bagpipeworks

Post by bagpipeworks »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bagpipeworks on 2002-12-13 17:12 ]</font>
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Davy,

You're not tooting your own horn, you're simply responding to Liam in a well-measured, direct, honest and well thought-out manner. Something I would expect from a pipemaker who also puts care into their work.

I, for one, have heard nothing negative and enough positive things about Davy's pipes that I would feel comfortable reccomending someone consider his work as an option.

I would say the same thing I would say about *any* maker, though. Listen to some of their pipes before you decide on a maker. Different people like different timbres, and each maker's varies according to bore style *AND* reed style. Never discount the importance of a reed in imparting the timbre to an instrument. I have a Quinn chanter for which I have made several reeds according to the timbre I was after. Some are loud, bright reeds like you would expect from a wide-bore chanter and others are more muted, almost like a narrow-bore.

Dionys

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dionys on 2002-12-12 18:58 ]</font>
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Davy, I just visited your web site...that's got to be one of the best pipemakers sites around. Just the other day one of the top reed makers in this country recommended your pipes to me. BTW what is waiting time on a full set of pipes in blackwood, sterling, and ivory (or imit.)? I'm serious.

I see you live in a beautiful Nat'l Park in Yorkshire. Darn! If England ever gets to seeming too small, dark, and abrasive...you have a standing offer to come to Americay where your work is quite well known.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I've seen and listened to a number of instruments made by Andreas Rogge, both flat & concert pitch. I think they are well made, and usually nice looking sets, but I'm not keen on the sound from the drones of both the flat, & concert pitch sets I've heard. Somewhat harsh and hard I recall. This could be the way they are reeded of course. But I have heard different sets over the years and this has always been my subjective conclusion. The concert pitch, wide bore, chanters I've heard are also well made, but again I find the sound to be hard, and even squeally. Again this could be due to how the chanter is reeded. I heard a piper just this weekend with a Rogge D chanter and he also had this loud, hard sound. Now the Rogge chanters I've heard, have generally been playing in sessions, and it's possible that they have been set up on purpose, to be heard, to cut through the banjos, guitars, boxes etc. Again, this is my subjective opinion. For others this may well be the sound they are happy with. We're all different
Zukul

Post by Zukul »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zukul on 2002-12-13 15:42 ]</font>
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Zukul,
I don't think is an argument between two pipemakers. If you search the pipes forum for posts by both protagonists I'm sure you'll be able to draw your own conclusion.

Cheers, Mac