Wanting to learn the Irish Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
coralgene
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Wanting to learn the Irish Flute

Post by coralgene »

Im interested in learning the keyless Irish Flute and I'm not sure where to start. :-?

Which flutes are good to begin with?

How are they like the tin whistle? (which i also plan to start as soon as my slow mailing service delivers it to my anxiouse arms)

Thank You :)
Kypfer

Re: Wanting to learn the Irish Flute

Post by Kypfer »

There'll be plenty of more knowledgeable people to tell you about the flute side of things, but the fingering used on a whistle is the same as is used on a six-hole flute. So you can start with the whistle, confident you won't have to "unlearn" your fingering if/when you expand your horizons ... good luck :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Welcome! Where are you located? You can fill in your Location profile ...

OK, with my Magical Mod powers I can tell where you are, and I know there's an active session in your area. Introducing yourself there would be a great place to start.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Second the suggestion to start with just the whistle. You might want to wait till you have a couple of tunes down until you take the plunge and fork out the bigger bucks for a flute (though a search for beginner flute on this site will give you plenty of good suggestions on what to do once you are ready). In my opinion the whistle has a shallower learning curve as well, and is a great introduction to the tunes and session culture. For the latter you might want to attend your local session a couple of times with no instrument, just open ears (and a recording device if no one objects) to get a feel for what tune selections and settings are more common in your area.

Best of luck on your journey. It can be frustrating at times, but it is a great feeling to actually be able to play the music you love.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Might look up this guy's site for a good starte flute.

http://sites.google.com/site/dougsflutes/
coralgene

Post by coralgene »

Thank you all so much for the advice :) Whats a 'local session'? And how do I get involved in my local session? It seems like a really good oportunity.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

coralgene wrote: Whats a 'local session'? And how do I get involved in my local session? It seems like a really good oportunity.
Find it on Amazon. :D

Local session is a buncha folks playing Irish traditional music. Be forewarned, there are social structures and guidelines to sessions that may not be apparent on first view. If/when you find your local session, might be good to just go and listen and observe for a bit before attempting to jump in.

However, it's probably the best learning experience for this type of music.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
coralgene

Post by coralgene »

Thank you :) I hope I find a session in my town.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Just did a quick google and found this:

http://web.mac.com/pubscouts/THE_PUB_SC ... COUTS.html

Sounds like fun!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

plunk111 wrote:Just did a quick google and found this:

http://web.mac.com/pubscouts/THE_PUB_SC ... COUTS.html

Sounds like fun!
Yep, that's the one hinted at in my previous post. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
coralgene

Post by coralgene »

Oh my goodness! That so awsome! Thank you guys so much :D
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

There are some excellent, top-notch Irish Trad players in Chico (at least one fine fluter and a piper/whistler as well). Met them and played a bit with them. Fine folk.

Here's another online resource: thesession.org . Lists tunes, sites of sessions, recordings, etc.

Listen, read, search, play, practice, soak it up.

Best of luck to you.
Last edited by Akiba on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nachteule

Post by Nachteule »

Hi coralgene,

You might want to check out the thread I opened on Simple and keyless flutes. There are a couple of recommendations for beginner flutes, mainly wooden ones though. I am not very fond of PVC in general, therefore I don't have that much information concerning plastic flutes, but judging from most youtube comments i came across, many people start out with a plastic flute (Yamaha or Aulos).
As for the wooden flutes, the Casey Burns Folk Flute got quite a few recommendations.

I'm not sure whether I'd recommend starting with "just the whistle". As a (German) flute player, I find it relatively hard to transfer the relatively similar fingering to the whistle. However, when I hold the whistle like a transverse flute, my fingering is much more fluent. I would never have thought that changing the position of the arms can have such an impact. To make a long story short, if you want to play the flute (only), it might not make sense to start with a whistle.
However, you might also have a very different experience.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I agree with you, Nachteule, it does make a surprising difference just having your arms in a different place. I moved from whistle to flute a couple of years back, and it took me ages to get used to what amounts to essentially the same fingering.

Still, who wouldn't want to play both whistle and flute?
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

I started with the whistle, then picked up the flute. For me, I thought it was nice--learning the flute can be frustrating sometimes :). It's nice sometimes to play the whistle and just learn a new tune without having to worry about embouchure.

What I'm discovering though is that there are differences in technique; the ornamentation I do on one might not work as well on the other.., but maybe that's part of the fun. :)

Cheers,
Eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/