Piccolo / Whistle interchangeable heads (?)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Piccolo / Whistle interchangeable heads (?)

Post by MichaelRS »

Anyone out there ever play one of those instruments where the head can be changed out to make it a penny whistle or piccolo? :shock:
If so, what makes/models have you tried and how did either sound?
Kypfer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Piccolo / Whistle interchangeable heads (?)

Post by Kypfer »

One of my home-made plastic whistles has an interchangeable flute "head" (or is it a home-made flute with a whistle head) ... sounds much like a whistle (or a flute). It'll only ever be a compromise, flutes usually have a smaller bore to length ratio than whistles, but I guess it's a valid starting point, to decide if one wants to progress in one specific direction or another. I'm happy with the way mine sounds as a whistle (low G), my embouchure needs a lot of work before I can say I can "play" it "properly", as a flute, but I can hack out a single-octave tune with it as a flute and be happy with the result :) ... my whistle-playing is a little more advanced (just a little :wink:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."