Irish flute teachers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ahstern
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Irish flute teachers

Post by ahstern »

I am trying to learn the Irish flute (yes, I know that this is primarily a whistle site. I'm already a whistle player, but I couldn't figure out another place where Irish flute players are likely to hang out). I'm not making much progress. I am a wind player (clarinet, whistle recorder) from way back, so I know how to control my breath and phrasing, but I can't seem to do that with the flute. I think I need a few lessons. Does anyone know of an Irish flute teacher in the central NJ area? Thanks.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Irish flute teachers

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (not that I'm biased or anything)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

not many of us are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

What are you using for a flute? Some have higher air requirements than others. Also you will find as your embochure improves you will use less air. Good idea to get a teacher early to work on that.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
ahstern
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ahstern »

Latticino wrote:What are you using for a flute? Some have higher air requirements than others. Also you will find as your embochure improves you will use less air. Good idea to get a teacher early to work on that.
I purchased a Doug Tipple (PVC) low D. I don't know what folks on the site think about Doug's flutes, but I read lots of good reviews before I decided to purchase it. When I do manage to control it correctly, its sound authentic and good. However, you may be right about the higher air requirement. It seems to have a pretty wide bore.
mandoboy

Post by mandoboy »

First off this is the place for flutes, so you came to the right place. If you search the list for Tipple you will find that there are lots of good things said about his flutes for beginners. Search his web site for youtubes to see what an experienced player can do with one of his flutes.

The other instruments that you mention are either reed or fipple fed. In each case the reed or fipple produces back pressure against which you blow. This controls the amount of air that you can blow through them. With a flute, there is no such thing and you can get winded very easily. Your embouchure is what produces the back pressure against which you blow, and keeps you among other things from wasting air. Until you develop your embouchure, you will get winded very quickly on any flute. It is totally normal for new flute players to get dizzy within a few minutes of trying to play. Keep at it and it will go away as your muscles tighten and your embouchure develops.

Can't help with a teacher, but others will I am sure.

It is a very fun instrument to play. Keep at it you won't be sorry.

Jeff
vince Kuhn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by vince Kuhn »

I have been a student of Lesl Harker for a few years now, and I can recommend her without reservation. Lesl has a great understanding of the music, superior flute skills, and the ability to teach to the students level of play. Lesl was taught by the master, Mike Rafferty. Lesl is also in the Central NJ area. Good luck !
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

If you don't mind going to NYC, Bill Ochs is a great Irish Flute teacher. I went to him for a year and a half or so when I was working in NYC. He also does Skype lessons too I think.

http://www.pennywhistle.com/
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
christelrice
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by christelrice »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Again, if you don't mind going to NYC, I teach flute and tin whistle at the New York Irish Center in Long Island City, Queens. My teacher was Mike Rafferty and I currently play in the John Whelan Band. My classes run every Wednesday evening. I also teach Skype lessons as well. Best