Keith, Prowse flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Barry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Keith, Prowse flute

Post by Barry »

I've recently acquired an 8-key blackwood flute by Keith, Prowse & Co, 48 Cheapside, London, stamped no. 316. It is in its original wooden box (with original key!) and it is in good playing order, although it needs the tuning slide extended quite a lot to avoid blowing noticeably sharp.

Can anyone shed any light on this instrument or maker? For instance, how did this company's instruments compare with more well-known makes? Does the number give any clues as to date? Etc?

Any information gratefully received.....
Denny

Re: Keith, Prowse flute

Post by Denny »

Terry McGee has this bit http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/KProwse.htm
somewhere else wrote: * 1796 Company established by Robert Keith.

* 1832 William Prowse became a partner.

* 1902 The company was registered on 28 January, to acquire the business of manufacturers of musical instruments, music publishers etc of the firm of the same name. [1]

* 1914 Theatrical box agency, entertainment providers, music publishers and pianoforte manufacturers. Employees 250.
there's this from a Hunting Horn site! http://www.tackagain.co.uk/mall/infopag ... Hornmakers
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Barry wrote:I've recently acquired an 8-key blackwood flute by Keith, Prowse & Co, 48 Cheapside, London, stamped no. 316. It is in its original wooden box (with original key!) and it is in good playing order, although it needs the tuning slide extended quite a lot to avoid blowing noticeably sharp.

Can anyone shed any light on this instrument or maker? For instance, how did this company's instruments compare with more well-known makes? Does the number give any clues as to date? Etc?

Any information gratefully received.....
Welcome!
The way you play the flute determines the tuning. These flutes should not be played like a silver flute, rather you should direct the air stream more into the embouchure hole, this flattens the tone, so it will play in better tuning. The wood is probably a type of ebony, rather then blackwood.
Terry Mcgee has a webpage about the maker.
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/KProwse.htm
They are very nice flutes, I have one in my shop at the moment.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »