Need reed dimensions for Kenna C set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bobblee001
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need reed dimensions for Kenna C set

Post by bobblee001 »

Hi,
Has anyone got reed data for Timothy Kenna set from srs. I finally figured out drone reed making(I think :boggle: ) but known working sizes would eliminate a LOT of trial and error.

Thanks
Bob
Richard Evans
antispam: No

Re: Need reed dimensions for Kenna C set

Post by Richard Evans »

Hi Bob,
On my set I'm using (in mm): bass- 90 long, 7 wide, tongue about 70 with a bit of wax on. baritone 60 long, 6 wide, tongue 35. Tenor 40 long, 4 wide, tongue about 20.

There is no reason at all to think that these are the best lengths. I have very limited experience with traditional cane drone reeds. However, they do seem to work OK.The tenor has been the most difficult and I'm still not happy with it so that's probably wrong.

The drones have the same buzzy sound as the sample on the SRS site, with a noticable resonance from the hollow stock.

Chanter reed is 77mm o/a, 25mm long blades above wrapping, about 10.8 mm wide.

I'd welcome some input from more experienced makers on those dimensions.

Have you made the whole set? I'm planning to have a go at the regs soon but I'm still experimenting with chanter reeds. I've made three chanters, two in hawthorn and one in ebony, and the drones in hawthorn and black buffalo horn.

I wonder how many of these sets have been made? Any other makers on C&F?

Cheers
Richard
bobblee001

Post by bobblee001 »

Just the drones so far. Made a David Daye penny chanter in C and thought plastic drones might be fun. Used the Kenna data for the drones while I wait for my california cane to arrive. Thanks for the reed data it gives me a good starting point.I will start making the proper chanter (in wood) once I have made the reamer.

Cheers
Bob
bobblee001

Post by bobblee001 »

Did you use a conical staple or hobby tube ?

Bob